‹ Prequel: The Natives

Dove and Grenade

Seventeen

The next night, we went out for dinner. Everyone. We got one of the party rooms at Renaldo's, mainly because one table couldn't hold eleven people. Me, Matt, Jordan, Aron, Meredith, Dillon, Charlette, George, Jorel, Lauren, and Jason. I figured I would tell everyone about my job when we were all together, and I couldn't wait to do so.

I cleared my throat and stood up. Everyone got quiet, as they had when I'd told everyone about Matt and I's engagement. I smiled.

"Well, I guess I should tell you guys why you're here, right?" I said. "And I'm really excited to tell you guys this- I got a job. It's at a culture magazine, and it requires a lot of traveling. I've wanted this job for a really long time, and they finally got back to me on it yesterday."

"Kara!" Lauren said. "That's awesome!"

I received congratulations from everyone, whether sincere or dutiful, and I sat back down.

Matt sat next to me, playing with his food for quite awhile. He hadn't said anything all evening, and I wasn't sure why. I didn't say anything to him. I figured if it was important, he'd tell me. I felt Jay nudge me, and I turned to him.

"So what, you're like some kind of bigshot now?" he chuckled.

"Something like that," I said. "You worried?"

"Probably not as worried as I should be," he replied.

I smiled and said, "You've got nothing to worry about, Decker."

Matt mumbled something to Jordan, and I put an arm through his. He turned to look at me.

"Matt?" I said.

"Yeah?" he said.

"Something wrong?" I asked.

He shook his head and said, "No, why?"

"You've just been awfully quiet over there," I said.

"Nothing to say, I guess," Matt shrugged.

I rested my head on his shoulder, but he stood up.

"I gonna go have a smoke," he said.

I watched him walk out the door, a bit stunned by what had just happened. I turned back to the table and crossed my arms. Jordan slid over to Matt's seat.

"You know," he said, leaning over to me, "you might want to do a better job asking him what's wrong."

"What do you know that I don't?" I asked.

"Bits and pieces," said Jordan.

"Jordan..."

"I'm not at liberty to say," he said. "And you can't make me talk."

"Oh, yes I can," I said in a low voice.

"We aren't teenagers," Jordan said. "You can't just show me your tits and expect me to talk anymore. Doesn't work like that."

"Oh, it doesn't?" I said, leaning over to him.

"Nope." He pushed me back into my seat. "Besides, you shouldn't be doing that anyway."

"Hey, just cuz Jordan doesn't want to look at them, doesn't mean I won't," said George.

I shot him a glare, and he held up his hands. Aron shook his head.

"Yeah, but I'm sitting right next to you, and I don't want to see it," he said.

"I'm not trying to get information out of you," I said.

Anxiously, I glanced back to the door. Jason seemed to pick up on my worry, and he stood up. He patted me on the shoulder.

"I'll go check on him," he said.

"Thanks," I said.

I didn't know what stick was up Matt's ass, but ignoring me wouldn't help. I played with what was left of my food and waited for Matt to come back. He never did.

Instead, Jason came back. He leaned down to me and said, in a quiet voice, "You guys go on home. We'll take care of the check."

"You sure?" I said.

"Yeah," Jason replied.

I nodded and stood up. I picked up Matt's keys off the table, and I thanked everyone for coming. I hated leaving like this. What choice did I have, though?

Matt was either still smoking, or he'd lit another one when I found him. I handed him the keys and began walking toward the car. I wasn't sure at first if he was following me, but he got in the car at the same time I did.

"Are you gonna tell me what your problem is?" I asked.

"I don't really wanna talk about it right now," Matt said, starting the car.

I rolled my eyes and muttered, "You are such a woman."
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is basically just supposed to be a set-up for the next one. Sorry it took me so long. >.<

Anyway, comments?