‹ Prequel: The Natives

Dove and Grenade

Twenty-One

That day, all we did was have sex. We would try to do something, but one of us always distracted the other. Next thing we knew, we would be having sex on the kitchen counter or against the wall in the hallway. We couldn't function like a normal couple; we went into overdrive.

So, of course, the next day I was exhausted. I came downstairs and collapsed on the couch. Matt didn't seem tired in the slightest, but he could have been putting up a front. I never could tell anymore.

"So what do you think, Kara?" Matt said. "New Year's party on Wednesday?"

I turned over on the couch and looked at him. He shrugged and sat down on the arm of the couch, and I rested my head on his arm.

"Sounds good to me," I said.

"We should start getting food and alcohol," Matt sighed. "You wanna go with me or are you gonna stay here?"

"I'll hold the fort," I replied.

He smiled and leaned down to kiss me. When he stood up, my head fell to the arm of the couch and made a loud thump. Matt knelt back down beside me.

"I'm fine," I laughed.

He smiled and shook his head before grabbing his keys and leaving. I let the sound of the door shutting echo through the house for awhile. I can't remember how long I sat in silence- ten, maybe fifteen minutes- but eventually I got up to find my phone.

Matt was right, I was gonna need a place to stay in Bakersfield. As much as I hated to do it, I knew where I was welcome, and that was exactly who I was calling.

It rang a few times before the familiar voice on the other line said, "Kara, what the hell?"

"Alex, I don't have long to talk," I said. "You remember when I applied at Culture Shock?"

"Vaguely," he said.

"Well, I got the job, and I'm coming back up to Bakersfield next week," I said.

"What does this have to do with me?" asked Alex.

"I kind of need a place to stay until I get a place for myself," I said.

"What's in it for me?"

"I'll pay rent in full for the time I'm there," I suggested.

"Kara, you're moving back in with me," Alex said. "I never stopped thinking about you. Rent's not what I want."

"I'm still dating Matt," I said.

"I figured."

"...what will it take?"

"I don't know," Alex sighed. "Once, maybe twice a week..."

I closed my eyes and sighed, "Not a word of this to anyone, do you understand?"

"My lips are sealed," said Alex.

"Hey, Alex?"

"Yeah?"

"Thanks. And I'm sorry for shit I've said in the past."

"Don't worry about it. Text me when you get to Bakersfield and I'll come get you."

I thanked him again before hanging up. I sighed again. I turned around, and my heart stopped.

"Where's Matt?" asked Jorel from the doorway.

For a moment, all I could do was stand there and stare at him. He had his arms crossed, and I could see everything written on his face. I wanted to curl up and die right there.

"He- he went to the store," I said finally. "How long have you been standing there?"

"Long enough," Jorel replied. "I just came over to ask Matt something, but since he's not here I'll leave."

He turned to leave, but I grabbed his arm.

"Decker, wait," I said.

"I don't know everything," Jorel said. "Not enough to tell Matt and accused you of something you may or may not be doing. Just know that I don't like where this is going."

"It's not what you think," I lied. "He's just helping me until I can find a place of my own."

"Sure," said Jorel. "Tell Matt I stopped by."

He turned and left, but it hadn't hit me until Matt pulled into the driveway fifteen minutes later.
♠ ♠ ♠
Four new subscribers, and you're all gonna hate me now...

Bring it. I deserve it. *sigh*