Status: Who really knows...

Four Musicals and a Country Boy

The audience whispers quietly in anticipation.

A single spotlight moves gracefully across, finally illuminating a single person standing center stage.

She looks up, gripping the audience with her hypnotic blue eyes.

They wait with baited breath.

Flipping a sheet of strawberry blonde hair behind her shoulder, she opens her mouth and...


"Miss Gourse... Miss Gourse!" I'm pulled out of my Broadway inspired day dream by my Pre-Cal teacher sharply calling my name.

"Yes Mr. Crawlen?" I asked, aware that I was about to be asked to answer a question that I hadn't even read.

"What did you get for example number two? And remember there are no wrong answers, just less right ones." I knew that was just a facade. Mr. Crawlen enjoyed humiliating students who day dreamed and then got answers wrong.

Just as I was about to panic, I felt something on my back. And I suddenly, I knew the answer.

"X equals fifty-one," I said confidently. Mr. Crawlen looked stunned. He nodded, "That is correct."

He was just about to continue when the bell rang, soundly eclipsing anymore horrors he had planned to dish out. I shoved my binder and book into my back pack and turned to the boy behind me.

"Thanks Harley."

"No problem Elle, anytime," he said to me, a perfect smile on his lips. I almost melted at his drawling Southern accent. It was beyond adorable.

"Why don't I walk with you to English today," he continued as we left the hell hole known to me as the Mathematics wing.

I could only smile.