Twenty-One Wilted Roses

I am the man who died alone in the hospital

"I'm sorry Mr. Wiley, but only your family members are allowed to see people who are... dying."

I slowly and solemnly stared at the man's face. It looked young and cheerful. Full of youth. Full of happyness. Full of innocence.

And here I was, sick, pale, dying, and this young man was denying me of see the only person I truely loved. I have no family, just him. Just my partner of twenty-seven years. Just Danny.

I couldn't speak back to the doctor. I couldn't tell him "Hey, let my god damn love in here!", not even cry. I was going to die alone. With no one. Just because i'm gay.

I've been gay since I was 15. That was thirty years ago. I met Danny when I was 18. Now I am 45, and on my death bed.

When I first came out, my parents nearly kicked me out of the house. They called me a fag, the devil's spawn, a queer, and many other things. The only reason they didn't kick me out is because they didn't want to dishonored. Instead, they just ignored me.

Forever.

When I turned 17, word got out that I was an "Outter" as many people called me. They also called me a fag, beat me up, and did everything to compleatly ruin my life.

The day before I met Danny I was about to kill myself.

The day after I met Danny I thought I could live forever.

And here I am, on my deathbed, unable to see the only person that means anything to me, just because everyone in the world is a goddamn homophobe.

The doctor just left the room and I can hear Danny sobbing. It never became a realization to me that he needed me.

I only thought that I needed him.

But now the room is spinning.

I can see myself being born.

I can see my first birthday.

I can see my first day of school, the first day of high school, the day I came out, and every moment of my life.

It was all flashing before me.

And the room is getting brighter. So bright its dark. And then I hear the beep. The long drowning sound of my heart stopping.

I was dead. I could see myself now. I was looking down from the ceilling. I look so tiny. So frail. I could hear Danny screaming. Sobbing. I wanted to go down and hug him. But I couldn't move.

I was gone.

Dead.

Danny was alone.

I am the man who died alone in the hospital because they wouldn't let my partner of 27 years into the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
a/n - Wow. So incredibly tired while writting this. This has turned nto an extra credit project for my English class, and my teacher decided to let me work on it in class.

Luckily this site isn't blocked.

x3

Thanks for all the great comments.

It means so much...