Mirror Dreams

Mirrors

As long as Jodie could remember, she had been scared of mirrors. It was nothing to do with that cruel taunt that kids say in the yard ‘you’re too ugly to look in the mirror, you’ll crack the glass’. No. It was more to do with what was behind the mirror.

Take the bathroom mirror for example. It was flat against the bathroom wall. On the other side of the wall was the landing. There was no way that anything or anyone could be behind it. It was an irrational fear that her father, the psychologist, had said she’d grow out of. But she never did. She always believed that a little man (rather like a Goblin) sat behind the mirror and watched her. Jodie didn’t own any mirrors now, and she covered up the bathroom mirror.

This was not true for the rest of the house. Her mother believed that a room without windows could be made lighter if it was full or mirrors. And there was a room in the house just like that. Situated in the very middle, was a room that was ceiling to floor; wall to wall – covered in mirrors. Jodie avoided that room. Personally she didn’t see the point in it. It wasn’t like they held balls or had posh friends invited over for dinner and drinks.

So Jodie’s life carried on as normally as a 15 year olds can. She carried on avoiding mirrors –preferring to use the television screen to check her appearance.

But then Jodie met Sundance.