Horrid Thoughts with Hard Questions

Eviction

In the early afternoon, three days after the incident, we were sleeping in, after being exhausted from going to the beach every day. I'm half asleep, with Claire using my arm as a teddy bear, when a loud knock at the door pulls me to full consciousness.

Another knock follows, and I get out of bed, detaching Claire from my arm in the process, and look through the peep hole. I see the warped image of the lady that checked us in standing next to a tall man.

Shit, has it been four days already?...

This is it, they're throwing us out on the streets. I run back over the the bed, and shake Claire awake. "Claire, start packing up; we have to leave now!" I say quickly, throwing clothes into my own bag.

She rubs the sleep from her eyes, and yawns comically before she processes what I said. Jumping out of bed, she pulls on a pair of pants and starts cramming things into her duffel bag.

"Ladies? Are you in?" calls the man. I hear the lady telling him something about "knocking the door down," but I'm too busy freaking out to hear the rest.

"Just a minute!"

"We'll be in the office when you're ready to check out." He says in a pleasant voice. I barely hear a "finally" muttered by the lady as they walk away.

After a mental sigh of relief, I slow down my rush to pack. We've bought some time, at least, I think to myself. We change and make ourselves presentable before we finish packing up our bags.

Claire's brushing her teeth, and I sit on the bed while she's in the bathroom, and hold my head in my hands, on the verge of tears.

What are we going to do...?