Horrid Thoughts with Hard Questions

Consideration

Once our three minutes are up, I excuse myself to the restroom. I tell Claire to order for me if the waiter comes; she knows what I like.

As I'm washing my hands, I look at myself in the mirror. Lines of worry are set deep in my face already, and my brows are pulled together in concentration. Many thoughts run through my head as to how I'm supposed to take care of us this time.

There is always the option of stealing...But I don't know if I want to risk it. I think to myself. I have to get a job...But what could I do that wouldn't ask too many questions?

With that question buried in my brain, I trail back to the booth without paying attention, not noticing the man at the table casually talking to Claire until I'm looking him in the face.

The man is a good half foot taller than I am (so really I was looking at his chest,) with blond, neatly kept hair, and warm hazel eyes.

"Ah, hello. You must be Elizabeth." He greets me by name, taking me by surprise.

"I am. And who, may I ask, are you?" I say, suspicious of him already. He seems decent, but I'm wary of everyone these days.

He merely smiles at me, and gestures for me to sit. I do.
"I am a man of business," He says simply. "I noticed your bags when you came in, and I thought to myself, 'Ah, travelers; such a delight.' But, and don't take offense of me saying this, you seem much too solemn to be just travelers."

Claire is smiling at me cheerfully, as if she was watching a movie about to reach the climax. He continues, "Once I came to speak to you both, you had left, leaving me to talk to Claire. She told me your situation, an-"

"You what?!" I blurt out, turning to Claire wide-eyed. What was she thinking? Does she want to ruin everything we've worked for? Everything I've done?

He holds a hand up to defend her, and speaks again. "And I have offered her a job as a waitress here at my establishment."

"...What's the catch?"

"Oh, dear, there is no catch." He says with a wide smile. I sense there is, but I say nothing. "As for you, I have...another job for you. If you are interested that is." There's an undertone to his voice that worries me, but Claire doesn't catch it, so I nod cautiously.

"And that is?"

"Well, I've been needing a maid for a long time. I'm a messy person, and managing this restaurant has taken up all my personal time." He explains to me, a glint in his eyes. "And seeing as your current residence is nonexistent, if you are up to the job, I will also allow you both to sleep in the back room of the restaurant, which I rent out occasionally. There are two single beds and an adjoining bathroom, though it is small. What do you think?"

He says all this very quickly, and while I process it, I see Claire scanning my facial expressions hopefully. I sense she wants this. Rethinking and rethinking it, I can't find a bad thing within it. Cleaning is easy enough, right?

After much consideration, I finally make my decision.

"It's a deal."