Horrid Thoughts with Hard Questions

Is it Luck?

We’ve been here 3 weeks.

I’m exhausted.

So is Claire.

But we manage to make it to tomorrow. It will get worse before it gets better…I’m just hoping this is the worse part.

For the last week I’ve gotten to see Claire during her lunch hour, and during dinner we talk and play cards. It feels good to talk to her again. I don’t know what would happen if I lost her too…

We don’t see Adrian much. He’s usually gone during the day, but he comes back around dinner time only to go straight upstairs.

Most of the other girls have taken us under their wings—especially Annabelle. She taught Claire how to make more tips, and now Claire brings in about 50 dollars a week. She gives me advice about the cleaning to—she knows what Adrian wants and doesn’t want. I just can’t shake the feeling that she is hiding something…

I’ve decided that it’s best to stop worrying about things I don’t know and focus on surviving here. We’re doing well, and I shouldn’t question it. It’s hard to trust when so many things in life have gone wrong in the past. But Claire and I are strong, and together I think we can do anything…

“Elizabeth, there you are!” Adrian says as he walks through the door of his bedroom. I’m replacing the sheets on his bed when I hear him. I jump and quickly jerk my head in his direction. “How are you doing, my dear? I feel like we haven’t spoken much since you got here.” It’s not even noon yet. It’s very strange for Adrian to be around the diner this time of day—he’s usually out on business.

“I’m doing very well, thank you. I was just giving you some clean sheets…” I reply timidly. Adrian’s confidence always brings out the shy little girl in me.

“Oh, I see that, thank you! You’ve been doing a fine job, as has Claire. I couldn’t have found two better employees. And to think, you just happened to walk right in my front door!” The whole time he’s talking he’s got this huge grin on his face. It’s a perfect smile—even with that one missing canine. I can’t help but feel a warm fuzzy sensation through my body. He makes me feel like I’m part of a family.

“We’re the lucky ones. I don’t know what we would have done if we hadn’t found you.” I’m still talking quietly. Even if he’s comforting he’s a bit scary at the same time.

“Oh, it’s been my pleasure I assure you,” he states as he walks toward me and puts his arm around my shoulder. Been?

“Unfortunately, dear, I have a bit of bad news.”

Oh NO. My heart sinks in my chest. I feel the frown fall on my face.

“I did tell you the room that you’re in now is special.”

I can’t bring myself to look him in the eye. I feel humiliated. I just nod, my eyes sort of pointing at his feet.

“Well, I met a couple of potential tenants who need that room. The deal has practically been made. Just one thing left to be done…”

“Claire and I have to leave.” I say it surprisingly loud. With nowhere to go and hardly any money to our names, I start to lose all hope.

“I hate to do it, but it’s important to the future of the diner. It breaks my heart to see let you two go, but I’m afraid I don’t have much choice.” His smile had faded away, leaving a look of concern. He takes his arm from around my shoulder and gently pats my back.

After a couple of seconds of hesitation, I reply, “I understand. I’ll tell Claire tonight and we’ll be out by tomorrow morning.” My vision is blurred by the tears getting ready to fall. I do my best to hold in my sobs until I’ve left the room. I break away from Adrian to put some quick finishing touches on the bed before I walk speedily towards the door. I just need to be alone. I need to plan.

“Wait, there may be something I can do.” I freeze. He sounds hopeful, and taking comfort in that I immediately respond.

“Really?” I make my way towards him with a burst of confidence. Claire and I need this place and I’ll do whatever it takes to stay.

“I may be able to get you a room upstairs—there are a couple of free beds. I’m sure the others wouldn’t mind. However, if you do that you’ll need to change your schedule around a little bit…”

“That’s perfectly fine! Whatever you need, I’m your girl!” I’m almost yelling now. I knew Adrian would come through for us.

“Great! But first tell me, Elizabeth….are you a virgin?”