Horrid Thoughts with Hard Questions

The Black Abyss

“Liz? It’s time to go.”

Annabelle’s head sticks through the door to our room. Claire is collapsed on the cot next to mine, already asleep. I try not to make it creak as I hoist myself up. My costume lies underneath, and I grab it on my way out. I follow Annabelle to the bathroom to get ready.

She puts on my makeup and does my hair. I’m a human Barbie doll.

“You look really nice with makeup on, you should wear it all the time,” Annabelle coos, trying to make me feel better. I shrug, holding back the desire to scream. I’m containing a million emotions—fear, anger, hopelessness…

“Really, you’re going to be fine.” She fixes my hair, poofing it out with globs of hairspray. Grabbing my hands she continues to comfort me, “It will be over before you know it. It helps to just imagine yourself somewhere else.” With a wide grin and a hand squeeze, she turns me towards the mirror.

My red hair frames my face with giant curls. My eyes look big, and pop out from the purple color that surrounds them. The short, frilly skirt makes my legs look long and lean. I’d actually look pretty, if it weren’t for what I was about to do…

“Elizabeth, my dear, are you ready?” It’s Adrian. He calls for me from outside the bathroom.

I try to speak but nothing comes out. I just nod, knowing that he can’t see me. Annabelle smiles at me one more time before giving me a push towards the door. Reluctantly, I oblige.
Adrian is leaning against the wall when I spot him, a warm, deceiving smile on his pretty pale face. His eyes light up when he sees me.

“Wow. Annabelle, you’ve done magnificent work, as always,” he says, turning his warm smile into a suggestive grin in her direction. She mimics a curtsey before making her way towards the bar, walking a little too extravagantly to be normal. Adrian’s eyes follow her until she disappears, then he turns back to me.

“Now then, he’s waiting for you. Shall we go?” He puts a hand on my shoulder before he guides me to the locked room. I know what it’s for, but I can’t begin to imagine what waits for me behind that dark wooden door. “You remember your lines now, don’t you?” he asks as he puts his hand on the knob. I nod, once again, listening to the knob squeak as it rotates. From where I stand, the room looks black as pitch. I can feel my heart beat in my ears and my thoughts are fogged from sheer anxiety. I’ve barely glanced through the door, when I’m shoved into the room, with only the click of the door shutting behind me.

I clear my throat, staring into the black abyss.

“What do you want me to do to you?”