Horrid Thoughts with Hard Questions

A Blurring View

We've only just gotten on the train, and Claire is asleep on the bed. Our cabin is small, and it has four beds (it was cheaper to get bunk beds,) which makes me wonder if two others will be joining us.

The train isn't leaving for another ten minutes or so, and I look out into the hallways as people walk by, looking for their own cabin. A young man's head pops into our doorway. "Ah, hello!" He greets me cheerfully, then notices Claire sleeping. "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't see that she was asleep. We're also supposed be in here." He turns to an invisible person behind him. "Honey, we're in here!" He calls to her quietly, as not to wake Claire.

He bustles inside, carrying two heavy looking bags, with a small lady right behind him. She immediately sits down on the bed, looking very tired.

She whispers something to her husband, and he shakes his head, and tells her something as well. I do my best not to eavesdrop.

"I'm sorry for not introducing myself earlier." The man says suddenly, as though it just dawned on him. "I'm Tim, and this is my wife, Cassidy."

"Nice to meet you both. I'm Elizabeth, and this is my cousin, Claire." I smile at them, and shake both of their hands.

"Aren't you two a bit young to be taking a train to Florida by yourselves?" Cassidy asks in a hushed voice, nodding towards Claire.

My smile falters for a second, but I correct myself. "We're going to visit relatives." I instantly feel bad for lying to them, seeing as they seem like such nice people, but I really don't want to get caught running away either.

"Oh, well, I'm sure they'll be happy to see you." She smiles at me, and yawns. "I think I'll be going to sleep." Without another word, she lays down and makes herself comfortable.

There's a silence between Tim and me for a while. Soon, he says, "Well, with the misses in bed, I suppose I'll go to sleep, too. G'night," and with that he climbs into the top bunk.

"Goodnight."

The whistle blows, and the view outside the tiny window begins to blur. We're finally on our way.