Status: updates may be slow.

There's Still This Appeal

3.21.06 Grand Rapids

I glanced at the time and date on my phone. I sighed. I slid out of my bunk and dug through my bag of clothing for a pair of jeans. I walked over to the tiny bathroom and pulled off my shorts and slid the jeans on. I decided to leave on the tank top I sleep in. I twisted my hair up into a messy bun. I walked out of the bathroom and slid my feet into Meg's Uggs. I then took JT’s hoodie and Kristi’s over sized sunglasses. I couldn't go out the front of the bus, Casey and Kristi had fallen asleep on the couch last night, they’d notice me leaving. I went back to my bunk and reached under the pillow for my ipod and my phone. I shoved the ipod into my pocket. I typed out a quick text and hit send. I then walked over to the back lounge and opened the window.

I poked my head out the window and waited until I saw the familiar pudgy curly haired man. He rubbed the sleep from his eyes and looked up at me I smiled at him, and positioned myself to jump out the window. He held out his arms, I closed my eyes and jumped. "Holy fuck you're heavier than you look!" I smiled, "good morning to you too Dirty." He smiled and set me down, “why couldn’t you just use the front door?” I shrugged, “they don’t like me wandering off,” I lowered my voice, “and it’s my birthday.” He nodded, “sweet how old are you?” “Twenty two, can we like walk? I feel weird standing by the bus.” I followed him. He yawned, “I’m going back to sleep wanna come?” I smiled but shook my head. I would have said yes but he was bunking with FOB and I can’t go on that bus without freaking out. He shrugged, wished me a happy birthday and walked away.

I shoved Kristi’s oversized sunglasses on my face. I felt like a moron. I probably looked like one too. I’ve always hated wearing sunglasses but these hide most of my face. A bit paranoid? Yes. But it is a necessary precaution. I put in my ear buds and set my ipod for shuffle. I pulled up the hood and shoved my hands in the pockets. I walked unsure of where I was going. I found a small park about three blocks away from the stadium. A familiar shaky recording filled my ears I put my finger over the button to skip the song but something kept me from stopping it. His voice filled my ears. My vision started getting blurry; I threw myself onto the nearest park bench. I smiled, because this song hadn’t popped up in ages I’d almost forgotten I’d put it on there. But I felt the urge to cry at the memory of Patrick Playing this song for me. It was the nicest thing any guy had ever done for me, other than the Casey and New Found Glory incident but its didn’t count because we’re related. The song ended and switched to an Ashlee Simpson song. I reached under the sunglasses and wiped at my eyes. My hand dove into the pocket of the hoodie I was tempted to play the song again, I decided to turn the ipod off instead. I took out the ear buds and wrapped them around the pink ipod. The park was silent except for a slight sniffling noise.

I jumped startled that there has been someone else occupying the same bench. It was obviously a man, probably gay. Not that I’m judging, it’s just he was wearing oversized sunglasses with rhinestones, super tight jeans and a tight fitting hoodie. Something made me want to comfort him; I placed a hand on his shoulder. “What’s wrong?” I regretted asking as soon as the words left my mouth. He looked up, not at me but straight ahead. “I-I’m sorry I didn’t mean-I just have this thing where I tend to blurt out what I’m. I’ll just go now. I’m really sorry.” He shook his head, “its fine.” I smiled, “do you maybe want to talk about it?” “If I tell you you’ll just think I’m being stupid.” I stood “all right I won’t pry,” I held my hand out to him, “I’m hungry and I’ve got enough for two cheeseburgers if you’d like to join me.” “I’d like that,” he placed his hand in mine so I could pull him up. I looked down at his rough hands, I felt like a moron. I hadn’t recognized the voice, but I’d never forget the moon shaped scars on his knuckles and where they came from. I helped him up and decided that canceling seemed rude so I’d just continue the conversation and hope he doesn’t notice me. “By the way I’m Elizabeth.” He smiled that familiar smile, “I’m Pete.”

//Patrick’s P.O.V//
I hung up again. “He’s not picking up.” Joe looked up from his phone, “Andy and Dirt are out looking for him. Besides he’ll be back I mean Tyson always wanders off, and JT said Casey does too.” I nodded recalling every time Tyson had wandered away from Nick and over to me. I rubbed the back of my neck, “yeah I know, but…it’s just you know how he gets.” He nodded finally understanding why I was so worried, “yeah I’ll go see if anyone’s seen him.” I nodded and decided to try and call him again once Joe had left. I had just hit the call button when the dressing room door flew open. “Trick guess what!” I wanted nothing more than to yell and lecture him until my voice gave out, but then I saw the huge smile on his face. That smile that had been hidden from the world for some time now, that smile made all my anger melt away. I was just so glad to see him happy again, “what?” He came over and sat next to me, “I met a girl.” “Oh no don’t tell me you’re in love.” He chuckled “no I-we got some lunch and talked, and she gave me really good advice, and she’s funny’ and smart’ and you wanna know the best part?” I shrugged, “yeah sure.” “She’s one of the merch girls!” He opened his side kick and texted someone. I sighed, “You gave her your number. What if she’s not really a merch girl? What if she gives your number out? What if-” He shook his head, “you worry too much, come on I’ll introduce you.”

We made it past some fans and made it to the merch table. Megan waved at me, “hey Patrick!” I smiled and waved back. Her outburst caused one of the merch girls to pull up the hood on her hoodie, she then ran towards the bathroom. Pete shouted after her “Liz!” Dirty shrugged, “that was strange, but she did say she felt sick.” Megan nodded “yeah she said something about that, when she got back from lunch. Pretty lousy way to spend a birthday huh?” I shrugged, “I’ve had worse. You wanted to show me she was real and she is, let’s go back now.” He nodded but continued to stare at the bathroom door; I figured he was just worried that the burger would mess up his stomach too. I rolled my eyes and grabbed his arm to tug him away. “Bye muffin don’t forget scrabble tomorrow with Greta and Rob.” She nodded, “you’re on! See you there.” I dragged Pete back to the dressing room, stopping to pose for a few pictures along the way.
♠ ♠ ♠
thanks for reading :)