Morphine

Him- Dissolve

I never realized how clean my carpet is. All green and slightly shiny even though we’ve lived her for years.

I guess I’m just never here… but I’m here now, lying face down on the floor just as I have for the past three days.
My mother keeps asking what the matter is. Funny she’s worried now. Most parents get concerned when you’re out too much, not when you stay in.

“Are you sick?”
“No.”
“Are you dying?”
“No.”
“Did Sarah dump you?”
“No.”
“Someone else?”
“No.”
“Fine! I give up! Die on the fucking floor, I don’t care!”

She slams the door and I smile.

Edmond and Melanctha show up that afternoon to console me… Well, Edmond tried anyway.
“You know, eight of every ten marriages end within the first two years.”
“No, he’s perfect.”
“Maybe he’ll get in a car accident.”
“No, he’s perfect.”
“Well, maybe---“

“It’s not worth it, darling.” Melanctha says, looking out my dusty window. Her hair is straight and in her face and the scream side of her voices dominates. “If he wanted to do something. He’d have done it… Unless he’s waiting for Saturday.”

“Yes, dear, Saturday. We have the ‘wedding.’ Ring any bells? Literally?”

“Oh, yeah! Saturday!” Edmond says, looking picturesque. “You should crash the wedding.”

“No,” I say, gritting my teeth. “He’s perfect.”
“Will you come?”
“No.”
“Will you get off the floor?”
“No.”
“Whatever, man…” Edmond turns to leave. “Mela?”

“I’ll be right along, love. I’d like a word with our despondent friend.” She smiles at him and he goes out to the car. “I don’t know how to put this,” she says, touching my face gently. “But no matter how I do, I know you’re listening.

“You can’t stop them. They’ll go on with it, no matter what happens… But if you say something, she’ll grant you the same audience you’re granting me. She’s not like other girls. She doesn’t write them off for mistakes or flaws.” I say nothing and she sighs again, then smiles. “Besides, I’ll be disappointed if you don’t come, mon petit oiseau. I’m presiding over the ceremonies and I have to say you look damn good on the dance floor.” She laughs with me at the way she held the ‘a’ out in ‘damn.’

“I don’t know, Mela…” I say, morose once more.

“Just don’t die here. Not on such sad carpet… Just lie if you have to. And keep lying.”

“What’d you say?” I ask, sitting up. She smiles and walks to the door, kissing my cheek as she goes.

“Keep lying.”