Flight Risk

Family Time.

Valary ended up taking me home the next afternoon so I could start the homework that had been deserted on my bedroom floor after school on Friday. It seemed strange to have my older brother back in the house again, even though it had just been the summer with out his shadow looming over me.

My mother was off of work that Sunday night and it was just the three of once again, one messed up family. I did my home work in my room, groaning when I got to the ever annoying science packets that our teacher handed out like candy. But candy, wasn't a word in her vocabulary.

Gabe peaked his head around the corner as I tossed the eight page packet to the floor in front of me. "You know," he murmured, coming father into my room, "You're homework wouldn't seem so gruesome if you stopped procrastinating."

I sighed and nodded, taking in the advice that I had heard many times before. Procrastination was a trait that I inherited from my mother, one of the only things that came from her half of my chromosomes.

"Granger..." Gabriel drew out my name quietly and I looked up to his intense blue eyes, that noticeably differed from my almost grey ones.

"What Gabe?" I sighed impatiently and diverted my gaze to the books in front of me.

"You know I took you away from those guys because it's what's best for you, right?" He sat down on the edge of my bed and I subconsciously slid closer to the wall behind me.

I flung my thick hair from my eyes and sent my older brother a warning glare, "I know that you know, that it's my choice to make. Not yours."

Gabe nodded slightly and I titled my head in confusion, wondering why he hadn't blown up at me yet. "Sis, I know that it's your decision who you want to make friends with, but next year you'll be away at college with me and they will still be here, pursuing that ridiculous music dream of theirs."

I bit down on the two metal rods that were through my lip to stop myself from clenching my jaw in anger. "Gabe. You are a very judgmental person," I stated and he looked at me as if he was outraged that his name would even be put near the word 'judgmental.' "Don't give me that look," I sighed, "It's true. You don't care what others care about. I've it's not something that you are into then it's wrong." I shrugged at him and he hissed under his breath, not used to people calling him out.

"And," I continued, "They're band is not ridiculous, they are amazing. They fit together so perfectly, musically I mean. They've been friends for a long time and it's like they know just what the other is going to do, rehearsed or not."

Gabe cut me off with a feint growl and I glared at the older boy as his anger flared, "I'm sorry that I'm getting mad, Everly. But you are talking about a group of grown men like you've just had the best sex of your life!" He jumped up from my bed and I rolled my eyes at his dramatic take on things.

"Chill out, Gabriel," I demanded, "I talk like that about all the bands I like, not just the ones that I happen to be acquaintances with." I faked a yawn and grinned as I walked past my brother into the living room to sit with my mother as she relaxed on her night off.

"Hola Mami," I murmured as I took a seat next to her on our small couch, Gabe sitting on the love seat that was positioned against the wall.

"Hello Everly," My mother murmured tightly, her eyes never leaving the television screen. I nodded to myself and turned to watch the murder show, trying not to care that she wouldn't look at me.

After a silent half an hour I realized the time and groaned as I thought about staying up later to finish the homework and then getting up in the morning to catch the bus.

"Well," I hopped up, "There is only so much I can take of 'Snapped'. I'll see you guys tomorrow after school. Oh! And Gabe, if you do end up going back to campus before I get out, see you around," I muttered, heading down the hall.

"Yeah, Good night, sis," he replied.

I walked slowly to my room. I shoved all the books off of it and threw myself down into the warm fabric, grabbing my cell phone from the night stand next to it.

To Zacky Vengeance:
'Headed to sleep. I'll text you after hell, okay?

It was a few minutes later when I got Zacky's reply:

From Zacky Vengeance:
'G'night, sweetheart. I'll see you tomorrow?'

To: Zacky Vengeance:
'Of course, Zacky. Night.'

From: Zacky Vengeance:
'Night, Baby.'

Even though I said I was going to sleep and I felt slightly sleepy (Which was usually enough for me to crash for at least 12 hours) I couldn't seem to clear my mind and drift off into dreamland.

Yesterday on the beach kept replaying in my mind over and over again and I kept hoping that Zacky knew what he was getting himself into when he promised to 'take me away'. I hope he knows that I'll hold him to his promise, no matter what happens between the two of us.

The the beautiful image of Zacky's green eyes looking back at me with that twinkle in them and that smirk on his snakebitten lips, I drifted of to a dreamless sleep, only to be waken too early by the annoying sound of my cell phone blaring the alarm I had set at the very beginning of the year.
♠ ♠ ♠
Granger is this complicated, over-looked character. And her attitude is shrugged off as teen angst and she hates it because people think she's just rebelling at that she'll grow out of it. And yet her older brother, even away at college, still controls most aspects of her life. Gabe gets all the attention that she's secretly dying for. And when no one notices she rebels more and sets plans to run away from all her problems because that's the only solution she's ever known.
That is until Zacky Baker comes along and he has it all put together. He's stable yet reckless and he promises her things that he knows he can give her. So, tossing the slight age difference out the window they run away together, figuratively of course. For now anyways. I'll leave the opposite side of Granger for you, my readers, to figure out. But if you know now, or somehow can figure it out leave it in a comment.. because I'd love to know the kind of vibes you guys pick up from my writing.