Flight Risk

You're Out

Micki was disappointed when the guys showed up in the bleachers for our game. It wasn't them she was upset about but more the fact that Brian's girlfriend had tagged along, too.

"Stop pouting and come warm up with me!" I demanded, throwing the bright yellow ball at her.

She caught it without having to think about it and rolled her eyes at me. "Didn't we specifically tell Johnny that they weren't allowed to bring their girlfriends?" she asked, whipping the ball back at me as hard as she could, letting off some steam.

"He doesn't like you like that, Mickhalah," I stated, throwing the ball back to her. We both looked towards our dugout as our coach called our team in. Micki and I shared a grin before we raced in, me outrunning her (and everyone else) as I dug my cleats into the ground.

I was the first back to the dugout and I grinned as Zacky waved at me from the other side of the fence. I waved back quickly and then blushed as the coach scolded me.

"Pay attention, Granger," she demanded, "We've got no time for boys when we're on the field."

I cleared my throat. "Sorry coach," I muttered, glaring at Micki as she laughed.

"Okay, girls," She continued, "We want to start the season on the strong side so lets go out there and shut them down!"

We all cheered as she quickly read off the batting order and positions. We rushed onto the field, each of us taking our spots. As I raced to first base, the guys cheered from the bleachers, shouting out for Micki and I.

I caught her gaze at home plate and with matching grins we turned towards our friends and gave a two finger salute. I settled into my stance as she situated the mask on her face and took a few catches as our pitcher warmed up.

The batter from the other team stepped up to the plate, her teammates roaring from the dugout and rattling the fence that guarded them from foul balls.

Allyson threw the first pitch and I smacked my fist into my glove as the male umpire called a strike and our side of the crowd cheered. "That's it, keep it going!" I kicked my cleats through the dirt. The batter went out on a third strike.

The next girl was up. Her long brown pony tale poked out of the back of her helmet and flowed all the way down to her lower back. She stepped out of the batter's box as Allyson was winding up and I could see her smirk through her face mask. It was tactic that clever batters used to throw good pitchers off their game and for some, it worked. The girl quickly realized it was the opposite for Allyson as the bright ball easily slid into Micki's glove.

She shook it off and reset herself in the box. I watched with intent eyes as Allyson sent the ball towards Micki. It was instinct as the batter sent the ball to the ground by third base. The batter, number two, rocketed towards first base, silently hoping the ball would make it past third and to left field.

But our third baseman intersected it and whipped it towards me, causing Allyson to duck so that the ball wouldn't have to arch over her, so it wouldn't take longer than it had to to get to me.

The ball caught in the net of my glove seconds before the batter, now the runner, slammed into me at full force, causing my eyes to slam shut and the ball to fly away from me as I slammed into the ground backwards, my hands grabbing onto the back of my head as it bounced against the packed dirt. I could feel the runner round the base and continue towards second.

The pain in the back of my head was blinding. It radiated through my skull and intensified so much more when I blinked my eyes open. I slammed them shut again and pressed my finger tips against my head as Micki opened her mouth and a slew of curses flew out, the words growing louder as she got closer to me.

"Zack, stop it!" she shouted, "You can't come in here!"

Someone grabbed my arm and spoke to me. I groaned and tried to cover my ears so the sound couldn't bounce around inside my skull, but when I lifted the pressure from my head, it was even worse.

"Granger, what happened? What hurts?" the coach asked, crouching down beside me, "Is it your head?"

I merely groaned in response, the sound making my entire head vibrate.

"Granger, don't move. Someone get the trainer, ask her if we should call the EMTs." By the sound of her voice I could tell she was walking away. The twinge in her tone told me that she was nervous.

I blinked my eyes open as Micki tried to shoo our team away. The umpire was standing over me, warning me not to move until the athletic trainer came and checked me out. I held my breath as Coach shouted from the dugout that she was advised to call the ambulance just in case.

I heard Micki scowl loudly. "Jesus Christ, Zachary Baker, I told you that you can not be on the field!" she shouted over me.

"Shut up, Micki," he grumbled as he crouched down next to me, not caring that the light brown dirt was coloring his dark jeans like grass-stains. "Grange, are you okay?"

I opened my eyes again. "Yeah," I said softly, trying to sit up.

Zacky went to help me up but at the same time the school athletic trainer came hurrying onto the field. "Wait, wait, wait," she shouted, "Don't move too quickly, Ms. Granger!"

I sat up and leaned against Zacky as she kneeled down in front of me. "What happened?" she asked me, giving a tedious look to those around me.

I glanced over her shoulder at the other team's dugout and then slowly shook my head, stopping immediately when the slight movement made me dizzy.

The trainer, a short, dark-haired woman, looked at the large group around me pointedly. "Does anyone want to tell me what happened?"

Micki glared at the baserunner who now stood by her dugout and took a step forward. "I'll tell you what happened," she offered, her gaze darkening, "That skank over there couldn't handle that she was going to be called out so she ran down my best friend and just skipped along onto second base. She's out just so you know," she shouted the last part, attempting to flip off the girl but being stopped by our coach as she covered Micki's hand with her own.

"I'm okay," I promised, pushing myself up. I tried to hide the involuntary wince as I climbed to my feet but I could tell Zacky noticed it by the way he grabbed my hand.

"You're not playing," he said and then added, "Are you?" with a look of disbelief.

"Yes," I stated like it was obvious, "I'm perfectly fine."

"No, Ms. Granger, I suggest that you go to the hospital and get your head looked at, the ambulance is already on its way," the trainer objected, watching me as if I would topple over at any minute.

"I'm not going to the hospital," I disagreed, taking a step closer to Zack as if he would stick up for me and agree with me.

He wrapped his arms around my waist and gave me a resigned look. "Grange, I think it would be a good idea for you to at least get checked out," he confessed, "I'll take you myself but it's not a good idea to keep playing. What if something really is wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong, Zack," I snapped, pushing his arms off and giving everyone a fierce look, as to prove that I was okay. "I want to finish the game. I'm perfectly fine." I looked at my coach to make her believe me and repeated it again.

"Everly, I can't let you play," she apologized, "You need to be looked at and I can't have you running around if something is wrong."

My jaw dropped in surprise. "Coach, you can't take me out! There's nobody to replace me!"

"Granger, I'm sorry," she apologized one last time, "Let the EMTs take you to the hospital to get checked out."

I scowled and pushed my way through the group of girls from my team. Zacky followed after me quickly and Micki behind him, yelling for me to relax and that I'd get to play in the next game.

I dropped myself onto the bench in the dugout and yanked my cleats off of my feet. Zacky handed me my tennis shoes from my softball bag and I pulled them onto my feet and tied them up. On the field, my coach was talking to the umpire's and replacing me with Lyla Forrester on the roster.

The ambulance pulled into the parking lot and shut off their sirens. I rolled my eyes and grabbed Zacky's hand. "I'm not going in that thing," I stated, "I'll go but you have to take me."

He smiled softly and dipped his chin in a nod. "Of course I'll take you, Grange," he replied, lifting my bag from when it hung on the fence.

My coach walked into the dugout and offered me an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry, kid," she said once again, "But what kind of adult would I be if I let you run around after being knocked out like that?"

"The cool kind," I grumbled.

She chuckled and nodded. "Maybe, but I don't get paid to be cool, Granger. I'm supposed to be responsible. And to be completely responsible about what happened tonight, I'm going to have to call your mother."

"No way!" I shouted, "Don't you dare tell her about this, Coach Ferguson! It's not even a big deal!"

"If it wasn't, then you wouldn't have to go to the hospital, Granger," she retorted, "And I would come with you if I didn't suspect you're in good hands."

I glanced at Zacky nervously. It was obvious we were together and if Coach took this 'responsibility' to the extreme, she would have to mention Zacky to my mom, which would end in travesty for all involved.

"Coach, can you not-"

She frowned but nodded. "I won't say anything about him," she promised, "But if your mother doesn't approve then I advise you to listen to her."

"It's my choice," I replied quickly, "But I'll keep that in mind."

Zacky nudged my arm as one of the people from the ambulance walked over to the mouth of the dugout and addressed the coach.

"There was an accident," she told him, "But she's decided that she'd rather make her own way to the hospital. I'm sorry you came for nothing."

The man shook it off and looked from her to me. I was covered in dirt and my pony-tail was slipping, causing my hair to look like a bit of a rats nest as the dirt mixed in with the blonde strands. "Maybe I should just take a look at you before you go," he suggested, "Just to make sure it's safe for you to be alone."

I shook my head. "I'm not driving," I admitted, "I'll be okay. It's only a twenty-minute drive to St. Andrews, anyways."

"Please, Miss, you could have a concussion. I think it would be a bad idea if you didn't at least let me make sure," he pressed, walking further into the dugout.

I shook him off. "I'll be fine until I get to the hospital," I protested.

The man let up and motioned for me to go ahead then.

"I'll wait a little while to call your mother," Coach told me, accepting the thankful smile that I sent her.

I sighed in relief as Zacky and I walked out of the fenced dugout. As we rounded the corner towards the parking lot, I groaned as the guys rushed over to me, each of them talking as fast as they possibly could.

"Guys, guys!" I shouted to quiet them, "I'm fine! I swear!"

Johnny's eyes were slightly wide as he recalled the incident. "That girl was so much taller than you! She ran right over you and then just kept going! It was like a monster truck plowing over a clown car!"

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms over my chest. "I don't know if I appreciate being compared to a clown car," I retorted, my eyes narrowing as he continued to rant and the guys laughed.

"You should probably get going," Matt suggested, "Just in case anything really is wrong with you."

I was touched that he was worried about me. "I'm alright," I promised, "Just a bump on the head. Nothing major."

"I don't know," Brian muttered, "You went down pretty hard."

Jimmy shoved past the guys and wrapped his arms around me. "I thought she'd killed you," he muttered, shaking his head, "And then you didn't get up and I was sure of it!"

"We had to physically restrain Zack," Brian added, "He was about to rip that girl's head off the second she bowled you over."

Zack rolled his eyes. "That was a shady move," he grumbled, "She would've been out either way so there was no need to almost incapacitate my girlfriend."

"Lets just go," I demanded, pulling him away before the guys could start up again, "That EMT is going to march over here soon if we don't take off."

Zack glanced to where I had looked and nodded his head. The people from the ambulance were standing behind it, two of them watching me with cautious eyes. As Zacky and I headed towards his car, someone called my name from near the field. I whipped around and saw Draven come hustling towards me.

"Are you okay?" he questioned quickly, "That looked really bad."

I glanced back at Zacky, who'd just tossed my bag into the backseat and then back to Draven. I nodded. "I promise you, and everyone else, that I'm perfectly fine. I'm only going to the hospital because my coach is going to call my mom and make sure she makes me go." I rolled my eyes.

"Well, it looked bad," he mumbled, glancing over my shoulder as Zacky walked back over and slipped his fingers between mine.

I shrugged. "I could use a few Asprin, but it's not incapacitating." I sent Zacky a look which made him grin.

He held his hand out to Draven. "I'm Zack," he introduced himself.

Draven looked at Zacky's hand for a moment before he shook it. "Draven," he replied, although more coldly that Zacky had, "I'm Micki's older brother."

Zacky grinned wider. "I didn't know Micki had a big brother," he said, "She seems like more of a only child to me."

Draven tipped his head to the side. "How well do you know my sister?" he questioned, glancing at me for the answer.

"Dra, my boyfriend and my best friend are sometimes forced to hang out together, you know. Even though they've made it very obvious that they don't enjoy sharing me," I chuckled. "But we've got to get going. I need to get to the hospital and be admitted before my mom gets there."

Draven glanced at Zacky like he knew the reason why. "Your mom doesn't approve?" he asked, although he knew it was true, "I can't imagine why."

"Not your business," I sang, pushing Zacky back with my hands on his stomach, "We've got to go. Tell Micki to text me after the game. They better kick ass for me."

Draven followed me to the passenger's side of Zacky's car. "They're planning on it," he told me, "I'm sure Micki'll even find a way to get her revenge on the girl that took you out."

I smiled as I shut the door, the window open. "I'm sure she will."

Zacky backed out of the spot and pulled away from the field and out of the parking lot completely. I leaned the side of my head against the head rest of my seat and took a few deep breaths as the pain in my head continued to throb.

Zacky stared at the road, making his way to the closest hospital with both hands on the wheel. The radio played softly, perpetually kept on the same station.

"Zack," I said softly, reaching over to touch a strand of his hair.

"What?" he asked, glancing at me for just a split second before focusing back on the highway.

I sighed. "I'm sorry about Draven," I murmured, "He doesn't really remember you, just the things he heard about you."

"The kid needs to keep his comments to himself," he said shortly, obviously ticked off about Draven commenting about my mom's disapproval of Zack.

"He's just a boy, Zacky. He's Micki's brother, he doesn't mean anything to me," I promised, twirling his hair between my fingers.

"Well, it's really obvious that you mean more than that to him, Grange."

"So what," I shrugged, "He already asked me out once and I said no, and that was before I met you. So why would I say yes to him when I have you now?"

Zacky licked his lips instead of replying right away. Then he sighed loudly and looked at me. "I don't know, Granger. Maybe it's the fact that he's your age. You wouldn't have to hide your relationship, ask your coach not to mention him to your mom, or worry about what you're going to do when he has to leave you for tour."

My lips parted in surprise at his words. I wasn't expecting him to spiel off a list of reasons why Draven would actually be better for me than him. I stuttered for a moment, not forming any actual words before I shook my head adamantly and spoke. "But Zacky," I stated, "He doesn't make me feel the way you do. He's just another boy and you're... you're so much more than every other boy I've ever met."

"I'm not a little boy, Granger," he rushed, "I'm not in high school, I don't do homework, I drink, I smoke, I curse, I'm covered in tattoos, and I'm planning on playing music for the rest of my life, not working a regular job that could actually bring home an income. I'm a risk and everyone knows it."

"I - don't - care," I spoke, drawing out each work separately, "All of those things just make me like you so much more, Zack." I stopped talking and shook my head. "This is stupid, why're we even talking about it?"

"I just want you to be sure before you turn down Micki's brother again," he stated apologetically.

I rolled my eyes. "I'm completely sure, Zacky."

He nodded, a hint of a smile tipping the edge of his mouth upward. "I was hoping you'd say that," he admitted, pulling off the high way and following the signs for the hospital.

I shook my head at him. "Did you really think I'd say anything different?"

"No," he chuckled, "Now I'm just hoping you don't change your mind."

"I wouldn't dare," I promised, sucking in my breath as he pulled into the large parking lot of the hospital, "But it would really back my decision if you took me back to your place instead."

Zacky turned off the car and shook his head. "Not a chance, Granger. Lets go make sure you're all good."

I groaned loudly and unbuckled my seatbelt, knowing if I wanted him to come with me then we'd have to go now, before my mom came running through the doors, distraught and thinking that I was dying.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! (:
I'm sorry it's been so long since I updated. I didn't have the chance to tell you, but my laptop's battery crapped out as soon as I moved back to Illinois. It refused to charge so the computer couldn't be powered. A couple days ago I got a new battery and a new charger, so my laptop is back up! The only problem is that because my laptop wasn't working, we didn't get wifi right away. Buuuut, the people will be at my house next Thursday (the 13th) to hook it up. So... I'll hopefully be updating semi-regularly again! Yay!

One more thing that I wanted to mention was that I started another new story. It is called: Never Surrender and it is about Maxwell Scott Green (the former bassist of Escape the Fate!)
If you would check it out, I would love you! Because there's only one comment and a few subscribers. But personally I really like the story. It has a cute kind of vibe to it.

Here's a list of the stories that I'm currently working on:
Never Surrender (Max Green in ETF with Craig)
Chocolate Eyes (Brian Haner Jr.)
Mystery Boy (Jacky Vincent from Falling in Reverse)
Who We Are (Ronnie Radke in Escape the Fate)
Infinite (Ronnie Radke in Falling in Reverse)
Flight Risk (This one)

If you don't leave a comment here on Flight Risk, I would love it if you would check out one of my other stories? It's amazing to get random comments, even though I haven't been updating lately!
Comment, please! I'll try to update soon!