Flight Risk

Locker Room.

The next day was brutal. I was tired and cranky and my teachers ended up getting my the brunt of my wrath. I was sitting in the office by third period for sleeping in class and then yelling at my teacher when she told me to pay attention.

"Everly Granger! Pay attention!" Mrs. Underwood shouted, an expo marker in one hand, the other on her hip.

"Why? It's not like you are teaching anything important," I retorted with shrug as the call all did that immature thing where they all shouted, "Ohhh" at the same time.

My teacher looked almost shocked at my reply but she composed herself well enough to point to the closed wooden door of the classroom, her silent way of telling me to leave.

I rolled my eyes. "Why would anyone out there want to listen to your annoying voice?," I questioned, "I definitely don't." This time the class was silent except for a few chuckles here and there.

"Miss Granger, I'm telling you to get out of my classroom," she warned while folding her arms over her chest.

"Thank god!" I called loudly and stacked everything up so that I could pull my books into my arms. My teacher sighed as I left the room and made my way to my locker to stuff everything in there. I took a seat on the floor outside my locker, killing time that I would have to spend in the office. I had slid past in every class with out getting in trouble, but by third hour, this hour, I had gotten so pissed off with everyone telling me to pay attention and expecting me to act like my brother and murmur a polite 'yes ma'am'.

I pulled my cell phone from my back pocket as it vibrated and grinned at the name on the screen;
From: Zacky Vengeance
'Hey Granger. How's school? I just woke up!'

To: Zacky Vengeance
'You're lucky! It fucking sucks. I'm supposed to be in the office right now.'

Zacky and I texted back and forth for awhile until a random teacher came walking down the hall with a lunch tray and asked about where I was supposed to be. I ignored him and made my way to the office. Stuffing my phone in my back pocket along the way.

"Ahh, Everly Granger, why are you here?" The office secretary questioned, standing up from her desk and walking over the the front counter to 'help' me.

"Detention." I shrugged and showed myself down the hall way that led to a room filled with desks and littered with a few other students. The secretary followed me and told me to take a seat as she opened the door for me.

"What are you in for?" A girl with purple hair asked from the seat to the left of me.

"Mouthing off." I shrugged again. "You?"

The girl grinned at me and swiped her bright hair from her eyes, "Well, this teacher is out to get me, you know. And she swears she saw a pack of marlboro's fall out of my bag but really they are my mom's. I don't smoke, it's bad for your lungs, you know? And I don't want to die young, I like life. Sure, I could do with out school and things but life is alright otherwise, you know?" she rambled, using her hands to get her point across.

"Yeah," I agreed as my back pocket vibrated, "Life is alright."

"They call me Magenta," she introduced, motioning to her head.

"Sweet name, they call me Granger," I replied, checking my messages.

Magenta grinned at me once again, "I know. You kicked ass on the baseball team last year!"

"Thank you," I muttered and smiled proudly at the hyper girl next to me.

Magenta didn't say anything else as I reread what Zacky wrote and formulated a reply in my head.

'Well, that's why you don't mouth off to teachers.'

To: Zacky Vengeance
'Oh yeah, Like you're the one to be telling me to behave Mr. Vengeance. I went to school with you before you got old.'

From: Zacky Vengeance
'I forgot. I wasn't... bad. I just didn't get along with a lot of authority figures.'

To: Zacky Vengeance
'I'm not bad! I just don't get along with authority figures.'

From: Zacky Vengeance
'Quoting me, very funny.'

To: Zacky Vengeance
'I thought so.'

I almost whined as the bell rang signaling the end of my detention. I said goodbye to Magenta and made my way to lunch. I grabbed a slice of pizza from the rack, slid my card through and made my way to my lunch table to meet up with Micki and Johnny.

"Hey Johnny!" I screeched as I plopped down onto a hard blue chair, "What lunch does Matt have?"

"Sixth," Johnny stated and took a bite of his own pizza.

"Aww, that sucks."

"What sucks?" Micki questioned, taking a seat next to me.

"Matt doesn't have lunch with us," I told her, biting into my own pepperoni pizza.

Micki just brushed off this new piece of information and grinned at me as she heard my phone vibrate against the plastic of the chair. I pulled it out and hid it under the table to reply to Zacky.

"You two are still talking? I know you were up all night talking to that guy." Micki smirked and I nodded, typing back to him.

"Is she talking to Zacky? He was up late last night on his phone, too," Johnny questioned, taking a sip of chocolate milk.

"Yeah," Micki announced, "The girl is hooked."

Johnny grinned, enthusiastically as Zacky replied. "And so is he."

They laughed and I scowled. "Shut up you two!"

To: Zacky Vengeance
'What are you up to now?'

From: Zacky Vengeance
'Texting you. You get off at 2:30 right?'

To: Zacky Vengeance
'Yeah. But I've got practice, Why?'

From: Zacky Vengeance
'I'll see you after then. I've actually have to meet up with the band for some rehearsals. Talk to you later, Beautiful.'

"What's got you so happy?" Micki inquired, peaking a look at my phone, "Zacky," Both her and Johnny reveled at the same time and I scowled, putting my phone back. The rest of lunch went by with jokes and laughter. And a few pieces of food being thrown at Johnny and I.

My last four classes seemed to drag on and I raced to my locker at the end of the day, grinning as I stuffed everything into my bag. I tossed everything aside as I ran into the locker room.

"Don't you dare rush through practice just to meet up with Zacky," Micki warned as she walked over to me, pealing her shirt off.

"I won't,' I grumbled and pulled my mitt from my bag. I waited for Micki and then we both raced outside to the home dugout, lining up for sprints around the field.

I huffed as I slid into home. I stood up and wiped the dust from my legs, slider and my shorts.

"Alright girls! That's enough for today! I'll see you tomorrow!" Coach Ferguson yelled and everyone took off to the gym. It was a tradition that we all raced back to the gym to show that we weren't tired out after practice, even though we really were.

I passed Micki and I ran and she shouted curses to me as I stuck my tongue out. When I reached the center of the gym I threw myself down to the hard floor and closed my eyes in attempt to calm down.

A second later Micki stood over me. "Damn girl. You may be chunky but you can run when you have to!" she shouted and reached her hand to down to pull me up. I let her and we walked slowly to the door.

A voice caught my attention and I looked up from the floor to see Zacky talking to Abigail as she twirled her hair around her finger. Zacky looked to us as we entered the hall way and pushed off the wall, ignoring the flirting girl behind him.

"Granger!" he greeted, pulling me into a hug and twirling me around.

"Zacky!" I grinned, wrapping my arms around his neck as Abigail scoffed.

"How was practice?" he demanded, his arms around my waist.

I sighed and nodded, "It was good. I kicked ass." I shrugged and Micki walked off and into the changing rooms.

"To be expected," Zacky murmured.

I kissed his cheek and untangled myself from him. "I'm going to go shower and change so I don't smell anymore." I started to walk off but Zacky grabbed my wrist.

Zacky smirked. "Can I come?" he questioned.

I rolled my eyes, "Now you sound like Brian." I laughed and walked off, shoving him away from me as he tried to follow.

"Zacky don't! You'll be thrown out of the school!"

He chuckled with a smirk on his face. "Been there, done that. Plus I've been in here before so it really doesn't matter,"

"Not while 12 sweaty softball players and showering Mr. Vengeance. You can't get away with stuff like that yet, you aren't famous enough." I walked into the warm room as he called after me.

With the way the girls ambushed me as soon as I was in the room it took awhile longer for me to clean up then I expected when I told Zacky to wait.

"Who is he?"

"He's so hot!"

"Are you dating him?"

"How old is he?"

I rolled my eyes at their curiosity, "Is everyone dressed?" I asked and they all murmured yeses. I pushed the brown door behind me opened and smiled at Zacky as he leaned against the wall next to it. I grabbed his wrist and pulled him in.

"Granger! What are you doing?" he shouted and I laughed.

"Zacky, meet my team." I motioned to the nine girls that stood huddled around the entry way. Leaving Micki and Abigail out of it seeing as Micki wasn't interested and Abigail kept a scowl on her face.

"Uh, hi?" Zacky murmured, looking wide eyed at me.

I rolled my eyes at the now quiet high school girls, "Ask away."

They all stayed quiet and I groaned. Zacky smirked and leaned into my hair. "That was hot..."

I burst out laughing and pushed the grown man away as he laughed as well. I then took his hand and pulled him over to my own orange locker. "Wait here," I told him as I pulled my clothes out of my locker.

"We already had this conversation in the hall." Zacky grinned. "I won't go any where. Not even in that shower with you."

I rolled my blue eyes again and he shrugged and kissed my cheek. I walked into the shower room and pealed my clothes off. Once I was done I got dressed right there and walked out to see Zacky standing in the same place I left him acting oblivious to the freshman girls peaking at him, except for the sexy smirk on his face.

"Ready to get out of here?" he quipped, taking my gym bag after I zipped it up.

As I reached into my locker to grab my backpack Coach Ferguson came walking around the corner with all our practice gear in her arms.

She gasped in surprise at the man holding my hand and I cringed as she yelled my name, "Granger! I suggest you both get the hell out of the locker room before I call the cops!"

I nodded and Zacky and I ran from the changing rooms, each of us holding one of my bags as I laughed and silently thanked my coach for being so easy-going.