Arachne in Blunderland

Dichotomies of Debutants

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The book 'Nickel and Dimed' through the introduction and first section 'Serving in Florida' is

TOTAL FUCKING BULLSHIT.

Not only does it read like a reality TV show, but the woman seems to think she's a million times better than the people who 'actually have to live this way' because she grew up in Suburbia and went to college. She seems to think that people choose to live in less than 'middle class' arrangements. No.

You do what you HAVE to, not what you want.

She also starts out by using her credit card to pay for everything. She refuses to think of sleeping in her car as an option, even temporarily (that's not to mention what I think of her keeping her car rather than working to get one). She seems to think that it's hell. Well, guess what?

I lived in the car for awhile.

My mom made it work out for us after her divorce.

And she had to work for her car, housing and otherwise. She couldn't take little 'visits' back to her 'real life'. She didn't get to spend the weekends at the movies and restaurants with her friends.

And in case no one's noticed, there isn't just one middle class anymore. I myself am in the middle middle class, I think.

Mrs. Leech made us think this book was going to teach us something, that it would change our outlook on life.

Then again, Mrs. Leech also seems to think we should all dress like Jordan Schultz and have perfectly impossible 97s, that we all grew up in the upper middle class, borderline prep-school kids and have never had to worry about anything... Because, according to this book and her

That's probable.

*Pissed*

*********************

In other news, the weather seems to mock me today. All sunny, green-green grass and birds twittering... Of course, that could just be Pepe...

My birthday may or may not be compromised due to the fact that my parents seem to think that I (though I will indeed be debuting into proper teenage society) am still a second- grader and need my parents to chaperone me in extremely public settings. Funny, I could have sworn that I was an upper-classmen in High School and told them specifically that I wasn't having a party. Just meeting my friends. I'll have to see if I can remedy this situation.

*ShouldPutOnPants*

Costume Rules Provided That Saturday Happens:

1. No masks. If I can't see you, you can't talk to me.

2. Don't wear something that you'll suffocate in. If it's black polyester, lay off. When I said costumes I didn't mean the Grim Reaper or a Dinosaur or that type... Just become someone you're not.

3. Don't embarrass yourself or me. And you know what I mean by that.

4. Try not to scare the kiddies. They have as much right to be there as we do... But you can laugh if it happens on accident.

5. Bring your friends... I don't have enough.

6. Tell me what you think I should be beforehand. Not during.