Troubles

Terminal

I didn't even get to help Brian out for an hour before he threw me out. When I came to the store, he gave me a broom and told me to 'go to town', irony laced in his tone of voice. There were no one but him in the store, and while I wandered around for 15-20 minutes, only one customer came in. After the guy left, Brian started asking me about my day, and though I know he's not homophobic, I didn't tell him about how everything was awkward with Gerard. I just don't want him to make a big fuss, if it turns out to be nothing.

Instead, I slowly told him about how Gerard almost ran me over. Meanwhile, the back of my head was kinda going a little crazy.

Gerard and I? We could turn out to be nothing – as in not anything: no fuss, no happy.

“So, what're you doing here?” Apparently, the back of my head had taken over for a second, 'cause I lost track of what I was saying, and so now, I have no idea what Brian is asking about.

I frown lightly at him, pulling a confused look.

“Go call Mikey. Tell him you're coming over.” What? He just want me to leave? I know it's a slow day – or, at least it seems like a slow hour right now – but customers could suddenly turn up and he would then need help. And even if they didn't, I'm sure there's more that I could do; if not in the store, then in the apartment. I could clean the bathroom. I do the dishes.

Wait, I already did the dishes this morning.

“Go,” Brian says annoyed, but he looks amused.
“You can even go there for dinner if they'll have you. It's okay. Mondays are always slow.” The boredom in his voice and slight hint excitement tells me he'd be happy to get out of here if he could, so why would he send me off?

“No, it's-”

“Frank,” this time, his voice and facial expression seem genuinely annoyed. But soon, his face softens up and it calms me down, even though I didn't even notice getting tense.
“I'm just gonna close up early and hang with some friends. It'll be cool. Just be home by, say, 10?” he shrugs. I stop arguing with him and go to the apartment. He just wants to hang out with some friends. That only seems fair. He's been way too busy with making me comfortable that he hasn't had time for a social life. I feel guilty for that, so I'm actually relieved when Mikey says I can come over right away and stay for dinner. Gerard will be there, I know. Or, well, I hope. I hope he's there, actually.

-----

I turn a corner and walk towards the bus terminal, my hand permanently in my pocket to make sure the money doesn't slip out. Brian gave me too much again, but I couldn't slip it back into his wallet like I always do since he put it in his back pocket, but I'll make sure to go home before 7. That way, I won't have to pay night fee for a ticket home. Mikey said I could stay until around 10, but I have to be home by then. I know Brian wasn't being literal – he rarely ever is – but I don't wanna worry him. Plus, a night ticket costs twice as much as a regular ticket and after 8:30 the buses go by a plan I don't remember. So I'm gonna leave early.

Also, I don't wanna overstay my visit. After all, Gerard will be there, and if he avoids me, I don't think I wanna stay at the Way house for very long. If he ignores me, all I want is to bury my face in a pillow and never dig it back up from it.

Suddenly, my face is wet and my hands and right arm hurt. I realize how close I am to the pavement. A dull pain throbs from my gut and when I look up I see a guy pull his arm back away from me. He's punched me in the gut. He's thrown me to the ground.

He suddenly grabs the collar of my sweater and pulls me up closer to him. The back of my neck hurts as I press it against the collar, trying to get away from the man's face. My throat feels tight. I can't breathe right. He's gonna kill me.

Suddenly, I recognize him. He's the guy from the soup kitchen. The guy who tried to steal my money. He's gonna take Brian's money.

I quickly place my hand over my pocket, but I wish I hadn't.

“Give it,” he simply says, his grimy teeth close to my eyes and his horrible breath entering my lungs. I close my eyes and try to pull myself away, but when I'm thrown to the ground harshly, I fail to do both.

Quickly I feel the money slide out of my pocket, leaving it empty and hollow. I hear the guy stand up and grumble a laugh. He wants more, but I don't have any. I have nothing else he could want or need or use.

My brain immediately starts thinking of ways to gather 20 dollars so that I can repay Brian, but it doesn't get much further than loose change on the ground before I'm kicked in the side. I lose every thought except for the one about pain, and it's the only thought that stays in my head as the man keeps kicking me.

-----

I open my eyes, but the white surroundings blind me. I roll over and hide my face in my pillow. My pillow in my room. I smile as I fall back asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Only an hour late this time! =D Not a month!
And I know: DRAMA!

Now, I hope you enjoy the weather on this wonderful day, 'cause I ordered it sunny-side-up. =D