Status: Sorry for the delay we are having problems finding a replacement for taki T___T

Mannequin Bride

Chapter 10: Truth

Something furry rubbed my face, forcing my eyes open out of curiosity. Pain blurred my vision, though I could still make out the spots of grey and white decorating the small face before me.

Meow.

The soft sound was harsh, making me cringe as the cat mewed for a second time. Everything hurt, every body part singing a different tune which hummed through me, intensifying in pitch then slowing, the pain almost fading into the background. My ears had been the only thing that had escaped, until that stupid cat came along. It nudged my face again, its course fur scratching my brusied cheek. Purring loudly, it settled against my neck, resting its head in the hollow between my collarbone and neck.

The small cat was warm and I didn't dare move, except to lift my arm--slowly and painfully--until it rested on the cat. With slow movements I stroked the cat's disgusting fur; not that I was any better.

The cat purred loudly and snuggled closer to my neck. Its warmth seeped through my skin, and even if it was just in one area, I felt a bit warmer.

"Oh my god!" a woman's voice suddenly screamed, startling the cat. It bolted from its position as a series of quick footsteps approached. My gaze flickered upward as a promiently dressed woman wearing a blazer and skirt bent over me. A cell phone lay open in her hand, her dull brown eyes concerned. She didn't even know me, so why the hell did she care?

"I'm calling an ambulance," she said. "Hang on and they'll be here soon."

Great, a bleeding heart.

"You scared...my cat," I managed to croak out, my voice barely above a whisper.

She looked away then back at me. "Oh, yes, sorry about that."

I grunted as another cloud of pain lifted me from consciousness and darkness settled over me.

*****************

What do I hate most about being homeless?

"So you don't remember who attacked you?" the police officer asked for the second time, a bored look creeping onto his face.

Yep, that's right. The police.

"See, I hit my head pretty hard, and," I shurgged, "I don't remember a damn thing. Sorry, officer."

The cop sighed and looked away from me. "Hey, Alastar," the officer waved through the window at his partner. A moment later an average sized man with a head full of bright red hair entered the room. His eyes wondered about my room, never resting on me. It was like he wasn't actually here. No surprise there, just some over worked cop who probably wanted nothing to do with me. "Could you take over for me? I have to use the facilities."

Okay, I know you're not supposed to make fun of the police, but its not my fault when they make stupid comments like that. "What is that? "Use the facilities?" Is that phrase supposed to fool people into thinking you're smart or to make yourself believe you're some kind of genius?"

"Shut up," the cop Alastar growled at me, his empty eyes coming to rest on me. There was something so unsettling about his gaze that for a moment a witty reply failed to come. The reaction lasted only a moment and I grinned as the first cop left the room.

"So, what's up?" I asked.

Alastar just stared at me, as if I was nothing more than some pesky gnat, which, in reality I probably was.

"Who attacked you?"

"Like I've said a bigillion times already, I don't remember," I answered, "though I do know that my cat needs cat food. Would you like to donate to the Flea Feeding Fund?"

The small cat that had befriended me within the past few days had followed me to the hospital. Of course it couldn't stay inside; I wasn't the only one that realized that Flea wasn't exactly sanitary.

"No," Alastar stated flately.

"Oh, c'mon, Flea needs some food and if you donate I can give you some info on the princess," I said, trying to bait him into giving me money. I didn't really like Flea, hence the crappy name, but if it was going to be around me, I'd rather not give it my food or listen to it complain.

Alastar's attitude completely changed. Something sparked in his dead eyes, leaking from his irises to the corners of his eyes and then to his entire face. He leaned forward, the expression even more intense than what I had seen before.

"What do you know?" his voice was low and husky.

"I saw the princess being kidnapped," I said simply, dropping the carefree catch in my voice.

Alastar's wide eyes narrowed and the dead look crept back into his pupils. He didn't believe me.

"Seriously, I saw her being kidnapped, by this guy wearing a hat...Have you seen American Gangster? Well, he was wearing the hat from that movie and he was wierd looking. Trust me, I saw it!" I exclaimed. Never in my life had I wanted someone to believe me. The truth had never mattered to me, only a handful of jokes and clever responses were what I valued most, but now I wanted him to believe me.

"I'm sorry but I don't have time to hear about a fictional kidnapper that wears a hat from American Gangster." Alastar's voice was hard as if he could use his words and tone to form an actual stone to use against me. I started back at him, keeping my face blank and free of its usual goofy smile.

"Fine, I'll tell some other cop and he can get the credit for an opportunity you ignored," I said, keeping my gaze locked with his.

A small smile flittered across his mouth, though his eyes refused to reflect it. With the smile still on his lips, he spun on his heel and left my room, his heavy steps fading into the beeps and groans that wafted through the hospital's hallways. I settled back against my pillows, trying to keep the rare anger I felt from suffocating me.

When the princess's body was found he would regret this.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took me so long to get this out but here it is!!