Status: Sorry for the delay we are having problems finding a replacement for taki T___T

Mannequin Bride

Chapter 06: Five Against One is Hardly Fair

“Now, our top story, it has been seven days since the princess went missing and authorities…”

So that’s why the city’s been in such an uproar, I thought as the reporter continued to drone on in the background. I stepped away from the store front and onto the sidewalk, blending into a crowd of tourists and locals. They carefully avoided looking at me, afraid that I might beg them for money.

Yeah, right, I scoffed in my head, like I would take their money.

I kept my head low as I shuffled through the crowd, not caring to apologize as I bumped shoulders with a few pedestrians. I slipped into an alleyway, preferring the deserted, slimy walkways.

Where I was going, I had no idea. As long as I was moving, I didn’t care. It was easier not to think, the monotonous action stole my energy, leaving none left for thought. I whistled a mindless tune, drawing out each step in my familiar swagger. Hey, I may be homeless, but you gotta have some pride, right?

“Hey, you, kid!” a rough voice called out from behind me.

Slowly I turned, a smirk teasing my lips and eyes. The man behind me was tall with a pair of mean looking grey eyes. A metal pipe caught my attention as it gently sliced the air and landed in its owner’s open palm.

“What do you want?” I asked tiredly. I wasn’t afraid of this guy, I could take him. Usually I avoid fights like the plague, but some people just won’t back down until you consent, or they just attack you.

“You got something stuck up your ass?” the guy jaunted. Okay, so maybe homeless pride wasn’t the best thing after all.

“I’m not the one with the pipe,” I retorted quickly.

From out of nowhere four guys materialized from the shadows, each holding a different weapon. Menacing smiles adorned their mouths, some exposing crooked teeth, while one revealed gleaming pearly whites, which puzzled me. How did some guy in gang have unscarred teeth?

“Okay, guys, you don’t want to get into this with me. I swear I’m like the hulk,” I shook my head, carefully concealing the trickle of fear dripping down my spine in the form of sweat. One against one, yeah I could do that. Five against one? Not a chance.

“You think we should let him go?” the man with the pipe asked his band, sweeping his arms out. For purposes of clarification, I shall name him Ass.

There was a mutter of disagreement and dread washed over me. No way, I could survive a fight against all five of them. A few of the shady bunch approached me, waving their bats, golf clubs, and knives. I backed away, hands up and palms facing toward Ass and his crew.

“Listen I really don’t have time for a fight,” I shrugged. “Places to go, people to see, ya know, that kind of thing.”

“The way I see it, you and I have an engagement,” Ass said, flicking his wrist at his men. Eagerly they walked forward, slowly, laughing as they fingered their weapons. I stepped back, looking over my shoulder for an escape route.

Dead end.

Crap.

“Guys, guys, we really don’t have to solve our problems with violence. C’mon we’re gentlemen, let’s talk our problems out,” I suggested, abandoning my nonchalant attitude.

One of the gangsters grabbed a handful of my dull green coat and lifted me off my feet. He shoved me against the wall and thrust his face close to mine. “Problem is I ain’t no gentlemen,” he said, his breath wafting up into my nose. I cringed as the rotten smell washed over me.

“Hey, Bad Breath, ever heard of a breath mint? I think I have one, I’d be glad to share. I’m sure your girlfriend would appreciate my kindness.”

“That’s it, punk, you’re really gonna get it now,” Bad Breath warned as he dropped me.

I landed on my feet and brought up a pair of closed fists. I was nowhere near ready. The first blow hit me on the side of the head. I wavered, but stayed standing, but for how much longer, I wasn’t sure. The second blow caught my knees and I fell to the ground, my clothes soaking up a puddle of foul smelling water.

I struggled to stand, but couldn’t as a torrent of blows landed on any available spot. Pain leaked into my veins, narrowing my vision and clogging my lungs. Laughter and taunts surrounded me, challenging me to “Get up!” and “Fight!” But I couldn’t. The pain was too much and the darkness too close; it loomed over me like a thunderhead.

Just before I relinquished myself to the awaiting darkness, a face dominated my vision. It was the girl I had seen, the one being kidnapped. The one I’d seen seven days ago.

The princess.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really liked this chapter. It was a blast to write. It would be awesome to hear some feedback about what you guys think.