The Only Exception

Eleven.

I gasped for air as I ran through the woods, looking over my shoulder at every possible second that I could. Knowing Oliver, he'd wait for me to come back, he wouldn't chase me. But something urged me to keep running, and I did.

My breathing got worse as I stumbled over thick roots and slipped through wet mud. I knew my hands were cut deeply from all of the falling and grasping on to sharp branches - thanks to my lack of coordination. My lungs were strained, they felt as if they were about to explode. Hardly any air got through to me as I ran.

Oliver wouldn't chase me, and I knew this. But my mind kept telling me to run, to run and not look back. And the pain got worse, I could feel the new healing gashes begin to reopen with every move I made. I could feel every small stitch-like scab tear open, and the blood would begin to drip.

As my lungs were about to give out my foot caught on a large tree root and I fell over face first. I let out a cry as my chest hit against the hard ground, the impact of the fall made me lose my breath.

After getting somewhat of my breath back, I turned myself over, hardly able to move. I wasn't going to run any longer, no matter what was coming. I didn't care if Oliver came to kill me or just torture me some more. I was in enough pain and anymore wouldn't...hurt.

Can you say, 'knock on wood?' With my self-absorbed mind I jinxed myself warily; sounds rustling from the bushes. Swift movements made by an unknown creature. But then again I could hardly hear the footsteps that were currently approaching me - they were so light.

My head snapped to the side when a falling branch caught my eye. I rolled myself out of the way and hissed in shear pain as my back hit against a branch. Forget the not running any longer no matter what was coming, shit. I stumbled to my feet and began to run.

But who would be out here unnoticeably prying on someone like me? There's a thought.

Ignoring those imbecilic thoughts I continued running. That was until I ran into a pair of massive large, warm arms and I began to cry.

"Braylin? Braylin, what happened? What's wrong?" Jacob asking me frantically as he tried to clear my messy hair out of my face. But I said nothing. All I did was grasp onto Jacob like he was my only lifeline, like if I let him go I'd fall into a never-ending black pit of darkness.
"Just - get me out of here." I whispered.

"Bray - you're bleeding!" Jacob gasped as he turned me part way and began to observe my back. Then Jacob's head snapped up and his eyes darted the forest, a low growl crept through his mouth. "Let's go." He said as he carefully picked me up, his eyes never leaving that spot in the forest.

"What were you staring -" I began as I shook. I was cold again, freezing, actually. Tremors began to erupt throughout my small little body.

"Don't talk, you're in pain." Jacob whispered as he walked through the woods. His face was a huge bother, it was almost as if he were about to cry and rip the heads off of thousands of people as he looked down at me. And as I grasped onto him more, my eyes closed and I could tell where this was going. And his voice never stopped soothing me as I drifted off.

"I won't let them get to you."

Who was them?

~

I had woken up in a dark room and with the small light that was shown through the cracks in the door, it wasn't mine. This room was more clean and plain - like a guest room. The bed was comfortable, and even though I had some feeling that I couldn't move entirely, I knew I wouldn't want to move from this bed for awhile.

I heard talking and discussions forming out of this room, and by the sounds of it, it seemed like a lot of people were over - wherever I was. And then the door opened, and the beautiful Emily Young walked into the room with a small smile on her face and towels in her arms.

"I had a feeling you'd be awake. How are you feeling?" She asked, finding herself a small spot on the bed.

I pulled myself up to a sitting position which quite frankly made me gasp in pain. Emily Put down the towels and came to my side to help me get comfortable. The door opened again and Jacob himself made his way over to my bedside.

"I heard you - I mean, are you alright?" He asked, his warm touch never leaving my pale, cold skin.

I shrugged, "Yeah, just a bit in pain." Jacob frowned as his eyes traveled over my misguided figure.

"I actually came in here to give you these," Emily interrupted Jacob's gaze, she handed me towels and smiled, "A bath, if you'd like."

I gave her a smile and took the towels, "A bath feels thrilling at the moment." Emily chuckled lightly and told Jacob to help her with getting me on my feet and into the bathroom.

"Hey, you look like shit," Jacob mused as he help me into the bathroom, Emily giving Jacob a smack upside the head before leaving us two alone. Thanks, Emily.

I gave him a glare, "I'm not in the mood. Now get out."

"Jeez, you're nice around Emily but with me, you're a total -"

"Get out!" I half yelled, shoving him out of the door. As soon as the door was slammed shut, I gasped in pain at my back side. I walked over to the full body length mirror and stripped carefully into nothingness. The bruises had gotten so much more noticeable with my paler skin.

"Fuck," I muttered as I turned to the side and observed the newly made cuts from falling and stumbling around the forest. The slashes that I'd earned from my father were larger than they were when they'd first formed. I sighed and looked away from the gruesome sight, I didn't need to look any longer.

Once the tub was filled with warm water I stepped carefully into in and let myself sooth in the warm water, letting it in and soaking my body. Memories triggered as I lay motionless in the tub, I could feel myself twitch every time animosity struck through my mind.

The thoughts got worse and soon I wasn't able to control them. I let myself drift off, soon enough, though. I closed my eyes and let my head sink under the partial bubbly water, my own bubbles from my breathing finally letting go, floating up to the surface.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hmm, not my best I don't think. D:
But here it is.
I have twelve already written and I'm trying to work on thirteen,
but these updates might take longer because I'm trying to get back into
the swing of things.

Got ideas for what you want to read? LET ME KNOW. :D