The Only Exception

Seventeen.

"Sweet, you're finally home," He said with a warm smile. I felt drawn to it, like he was coming in here with peace.

I nodded, my shaking had gone down to a minimum. Oliver began to walk over, I automatically flinched away as his arms raised. Confusion etched on his face once I looked back at him, wondering why he hadn't started already.

"Sweet cheeks, you thought I was going to hit you?" Another small smile, but this time while he shook his head lightly.

"But that's what -" Oliver pulled me into a hug, a tight embrace, like he was showing that he loved me again.

"After you left, Braylin, I figured that I needed a change. Longest and hardest two damn weeks of my life, kid." He chuckled, squeezing my shoulder.

"Oliver, you don't -"

"Dad, Braylin. I am you're father, call me by that name." He said. I was incredibly shocked to hear this, but I kept my guard up just this time, in case he were to relapse and send me flying into a wall.

"Dad, I don't know what to say..." I whispered, shocked and a little bit joyed. He gave me another hug, chuckled as he did.

"Bray, there really isn't anything to say. I'm making changes around here for you, for us. Just give me time alright?" I nodded, a small smile appearing across my lips. "I do regret what I did." He whispered as he kissed my cheek. He gave me a small smile before wishing me a goodnight and leaving me room.


Confusing, huh? I sighed as I re-thought what happened just over fifteen hours ago. He didn't seem to be his normal self - before my mom died, but he sure wasn't the guy who laid slaps on me everyday. He was somehow becoming someone new - for the both of us, as he said before.

What I was mostly concerned about was a relapse. It could happen any time if I triggered him the wrong way. Tonight I could end up beaten to death for not cleaning the dishes correctly. I mean, I guess I never knew how strong this change was and how long it was going to last. But something told me that he wouldn't last forever.

So even though I couldn't keep myself at distance - that would definitely trigger Oliver - Dad, I'd keep my guard up and even if I knew how hard it'd be, I'd try just to keep myself a bit more safe.

Today was going to be hard, going to school and not associating with the Quileute pack. I wasn't feeling like going at all, and I even considered faking a cold, but with a turn around in the house I lived in, Oliver wouldn't believe me. And besides, I'd probably end up dying of boredom if I stayed in bed all day, pretending to be sick.

Following through in my daily routine, I pulled on a pair of jeans, a shirt and my shoes. Once I got downstairs with my bag hanging on my shoulder I smiled at Oliver who was making me breakfast. I wasn't that hungry, not in the slightest - but I needed to watch my back. I'd be cautious and eat Oliver's food, to make him happy.

"Wow, Dad, this is great." I smiled up at him after I swallowed down a bite of my toast. He gave me a warm smile and nodded, sipping his coffee and picking at his food. "You going to eat, Dad?"

"I'm not that hungry, actually. I'm going to work, see you later sweet cheeks." Grabbing his bag he headed towards the door, but kissed me on the head before leaving. Once I heard the engine on his car turn on, I sighed in relief, spitting out any food in my mouth and throwing the rest away. I quickly cleaned the dishes and ran out the door. Once I was outside, I frowned; I had totally forgotten that I'd still have to walk to school.

In all hell that I was going through, I was worrying about my feet aching from a long walk to school.

~

Once at school which was already in session since it started fifteen minutes ago, I went straight to my locker, grabbed things for my first few classes and walked down the hall. Eyes stared at me - Jacob's - as I walked into the classroom, interrupting Mr. Tamm's lecture. His chubby face turned red in frustration as I walked to my seat.

"As I was saying - before we were interrupted..." He trailed. I rolled my eyes, taking out my notes and going from there.

"You need to come back with me, Bray." Jacob whispered into my ear. I had my hair fall around my shoulder to cover my face like a curtain. I tried not to wince at his strained voice. Without a good glance at him, which would most likely send me into his trap, I kept my full attention on class today, which was something I hardly did ever since I'd been with Jacob. But now it was different.

Class ended abruptly with the bell ringing, Mr. Tamms yelling at everyone for stampeding out of the room, and my tight-grip hold onto my bag as I walked out, praying that Jacob wouldn't follow me. But sadly, God never answers my prayers on time, or even at all. Throughout every class that we had together either him or the other guys would find some way to get the least bit near me to tell me to come back.

Paul and Jared were serious - which they hardly ever were, and it was hard to shake my head no and tell them to leave me alone. Paul had told me what a mess Jacob was already in. It's only been a day and a half since I left, he didn't need to go all doomed and depressed because I wasn't there. Imprint or not, it wasn't worth the fuss.

Embry would come sit by me in English whispering hints about Jacob's true feelings for me. This plan that they had to try and get me back was well thought out. But I was breaking anytime soon.

Quil, he was different. He used a different method, in which he got down on his knees and begged that I come back because it was worth it. He pleaded and beseeched me non-stop about Jacob and how he hated feeling what he felt - that part was whispered but still he begged. In my response I shook my head and rolled my eyes.

"No," I'd said to each and every one of them, including Jacob himself. I felt sort of bad for how they felt about me leaving, and I knew that they just wanted to protect me, but I was fine now.

During lunch I'd found myself sitting at a table by myself, minding my own business when BAM, a bunch of tan-toned, muscular, boys come bombarding over to the table. Again, I tried my hardest to ignore them all, even with a shut the hell up escaping from my mouth, they just wouldn't stop. So I finally got the courage to just get up and leave school. I mean, what's the point of staying a whole day? We only have next week and then it's summer vacation.

I literally shoved my books into my locker - in complete frustration might I add, along with my mumbles of profanities about how stubborn these boys were and how persistent they'd gotten - all because they wanted me to come back. But no, I wasn't going back and no matter how stupid people would think this is, if they were in my shoes, they'd understand why I did what I did.

After closing my locker - most like slamming it, I went to the office and told them I'd felt ill. They insisted on calling my father but I interrupted the secretary's call with my hand on the phone and told her that I'd already called him on my phone to pick me up. Of course that was a lie, I'd get a total beat down if I intruded on his work. Ii was walking home, like I always did.

Once I signed myself out I gave a small fake smile to the secretary and left the school. I was relieved to smell the fresh outside air and tos ee the green trees as I walked down the road. I was sick of that school smell and the small crowded hallways. I swear I could be claustrophobic if I really tried.

And only as I began to walk home, a 1986 red Volkswagen Rabbit approached me on my left side. I turned and who was I to be shocked that Jacob Black himself would actually skip school just to talk me into coming back with him.

"Get in, please Braylin?" He slowed down so he was driving at the same slow speed I was walking.
I released a sigh, "No, Jacob."

"Come on, please, Bray. Just let me take you home, I don't want you out here by yourself."

"I've got my trusty sidekick pepper spray with me Jacob, I'll be fine." I mused. I actually did have pepper spray. I've kept it ever since Oliver had first given it to me back home in Portland - he was scared for my safety back then.

Jacob rolled his eyes, he brown orbs peering into mine as I stopped walking. "Please." I was so weak. I was too weak that I had to give in to this and get into his car and let him take me home. I ran my fingers through my hair, waiting for him to finally talk.

"I know you didn't just want to drive me home, Jake. Talk." I mumbled, my eyes staring out of the window as we drove past billions of trees - at least it felt like there were that many.

Jacob let out a gust of wind through his mouth, his grip tightened in the steering wheel. "You need to come back." It was simply stated, there was just as much force in the statement as I thought.

"I don't have to go anywhere, Jake. I'm fine at home." I protested just as forcefully.

Jacob slammed on his breaks, his eyes almost popping out of his head in shock. "You're fine with that asshole beating you? Braylin be rational!"

"No, you be rational Jake! He's my father, and he is all that I have left." I began wringing my hands stressfully, this wasn't going to go down well. "And besides..." I trailed, Jacob would never believe me.

"Besides what, Bray?" He prodded.

"Oliver isn't hitting me anymore. When I got home yesterday, he came upstairs and told me he regretted what he did, and we were going to be a family again." I sighed, "See, everything is back to normal."

Jacob scoffed, apparently not believing me. "You're going to believe that jackass who pounded on you for something that was his fault?!" Or maybe he wasn't going to believe Oliver.

Again I sighed, there wasn't anything I could really do but let Jake get his anger out. But what really set me on edge was the fact that he had the guts to says these hurtful things to my face about my father. The one who so very much created my existence. I sighed when Jacob finally began to drive again. Not much longer and I'd be home.

"You don't know him, Jacob. He was stressed, and he's back to normal now. Everything is going to be fine." I could feel the tears begin to pour out of my eyes, I couldn't control them. They weren't tears that brought along sobs, they were silent tears, just tears dripping down my face.

"You're crying -"

"No shit I'm crying, Jacob! You're accusing my father of something that he couldn't control!" Still, the sobs wouldn't come, and I was grateful for that. But the crying was getting out of hand. I bit my bottom lip as I blinked away the tears, my arms rubbing over my wet cheeks every time a tear poured down.

Before Jacob could get anything out, we'd reached my house and I felt relieved. But just as I was about to get out, a hot hand grabbed onto my small arm. I winced at his grip but turned to face him to make things easier.

Jacob's eyes showed so many emotions as he spoke, my heart was beginning to speed up with throbbing pain. "Please, Braylin. How long do you think he'll keep up this charade? Because it won't be long until he -"

"Don't say that, Jake. Just - stop where you are and don't continue your sentence. My dad loves me and I love him. We're going to work this out and everything will be just as good as it was before we moved here." I felt a sob creep up my throat, it was so close. "I'm sorry, Jacob, but I can't see you anymore. I need to work on things with my father. I'm sorry." I whispered the last part and watched as Jacob's face etched in pain. He eyes became just as glossy as mine were. He let go of my arm and I quickly got out.

I reached the steps just as Jacob backed out of the driveway and sped off in anger. Once in the house I charged up stairs, ripping my bag off my shoulder and throwing it onto the ground. I slammed my door, almost sure enough that the hinges would have broken off if I slammed it hard enough.

I balled my hands into fists, ready to punch anything close enough to me. The closest thing that I had was my full body length mirror. My mind was so full of irritating thoughts and mixed feelings I didn't even think of what I did when I slammed my fist into the mirror. It cracked on the first punch, and as I repeatedly punched the mirror it broke down and sharp glass pieces were everywhere.

That's when I finally gasped at the seething pain in my right hand. I looked it over, the glass piercing into my skin at all different disgusting angles. The blood was everywhere on my hand, it began to drip down and few droplets of blood landed on the carpet. I silently swore to myself, this wasn't going to go too well with Oliver. I'd have to be the adult right now though and take myself to the hospital.

Grabbing the closest thing to wrap around my hand - which sadly was a shirt, I grasped onto the ends to hold it together. I winced as my skin stretched when I closed my fists together. I almost tripped down the stairs as I quickly hurried to the front door. I needed to get away before Oliver could see this. He'd flip over the mess, not me. He wasn't ever going to get those feelings back.

Once I had gotten out of my house, I ran through the town, not bothering to go to the La Push Doctor - remembering when Jake told me how cheap they really were. I decide to take a short cut in the forest which gratefully was in Forks. I hadn't really walked long before I ran straight into a hard rock - or so I thought. I was helped up with ice cold hands.

"Thanks." I mumbled. When I finally got a look at who I'd ran into, I found myself staring at the beauty of this person. He had golden brown eyes and a large stature. His skin was very pale which made him all the more mesmerizing.

"Sorry for running into you -?"

I smiled lightly, "Braylin." What was the point, might as well tell him my whole life story if I was telling him my name.

The man smiled and brought out his hand to shake with mine. I showed him my hand and he backed away just a little. "I'm Emmett Cullen." I gaped at him, no wonder why he was just as beautiful as Carlisle.

"You're Carlisle's adoptive son?" I asked. He nodded with a smile. "You're one of the infamous vampires that Jacob told me about." His eyes could have popped out of his eyes the moment I said this. But I only laughed.

"Yes, I guess I am... wait, you're Braylin - the imprintee of Jacob Black?" I laughed lightly and shrugged.

"I guess I am," I mocked.

"What happened there?" He changed the subject, gesturing to my right hand. I'd hardly gotten feeling back into my hand, but the pain was horrible.

I sighed and pulled my hand away, "I punched a mirror." Emmett's booming laughter bounced off the trees and a flock of birds had gotten scared away. I blushed in embarrassment.

"Wow, why?" He asked. I shrugged, waving it off. I wasn't in the mood for talking about it.

"Anger issues." I lied - I think. "Um, do you think you could take me to your dad? I was going there anyways - to the hospital, I meant."

"Oh, sure, hop on." He smirked as he lifted his arms up. I stared at his arms, then back at him. Lifting an eyebrow I hopped into Emmett's arms and before I could grasp at what was happening, Emmett and began running, or more of like speeding like a nascar driver, through the forest. But this speed, it was so much faster than a car. Not even two minutes later and Emmett had stopped in front of a very large white house.

"Whoa," I gaped. "This is your house?"

Emmett chuckled as he set me down onto my feet. I was a bit lightheaded, but I could deal with that. "Yes it is. Whole family lives here, so we needed a big place." He answered. "Come on, let's get you inside."
♠ ♠ ♠
Haha, 5 pages on Microsoft Word. :D
Comments make me smile.

News:
I'm seriously craving Taco Bell, and I don't know why. D:
I found the perfect Homecoming Dress, even though it's like, a month or two away.
It's Perfect. :D

Yeah, so Braylin met the rest of the Cullen's, yeah they've got a part
in this now.
WHOOOOO.

This song is amazing, I like the beat, whoot whoot.
I Need A New Boyfriend.
teehee. <3