The Only Exception

Two.

My vision blurred as I opened my eyes. The house was dim but the light shown through the windows told me it was morning. I turned over and let out a groan in pain. Pulling myself off of the kitchen floor I looked at the clock. 6:32 am.

Damn, school. I sighed and dragged myself up the stairs. I was so thankful that Oliver was at his new job, he'd have to wake up at five every morning and leave ten minutes later. At least I wouldn't have to see him for almost ten hours.

When I got to my room I stripped down and jumped in the shower. The warm water soothed just bits of my tender skin. I felt much more cleaner when I got out and dried myself off. When I entered my room I went straight over to my full body length mirror and studied my reflection. My hands lightly glided over my freshly made bruises. The purple-ish black spots were marked mostly on my stomach and left hip.

Turning my head just two degrees, I found something. And surely, there was a small marking on my neck. I sighed in relief when I realized that nothing was too noticeable. I turned away, I couldn't look at myself for too long - I felt too disgusting with myself.

I pulled on a pair of skinny jeans and a tightly fit t-shirt, pulling on a sweater next. I brushed my smooth black hair that now hung in loose curls. I pressed lightly on the make-up, I didn't want to look too different. But I was, so I guess it didn't matter. I darkened my make-up and decided to straighten my hair. I gave myself one look in the mirror before grabbing my bag and heading out the door.

I didn't have a car, and I didn't want one - so my only real resort was to walk. But I didn't mind walking, I actually appreciated it. I liked just being alone and on my own, where I could think more clearly. I liked secluded areas, like the forest - which I would be discovering soon. But I also like open areas, but in a way that it was still only me, and a great scene before me. The cliffs sounded wonderful right now.

As I walked further to wherever I was going, - school, the small town got more busier. More cars were driving by on the scarce road, and I could see other kids walking to school too. School, sigh. I'd be the new girl there. Their new shiny toy, something that everyone will be interested in. Maybe not in that way, - I never thought too highly of myself - but in the way 'ooh, new girl, freshmeat' kind of way.

But I wasn't going to let that happen, not a chance. I'd keep a low profile and stay secluded in my own little world. If I could go through nights of beatings, I'm almost positive that I can go through some school being labeled as the new girl.

When the school finally entered my vision, my stomach began doing flips. The nerves got worse as I got closer, and once I reached my hand to open the main door, I almost lost it. But I thought of tonight, how horrible it would be again, and the nerves went away.

I walked to the main office and approached a heavily set woman with a dramatic smile plastered on her face. "Hello, dear. How can I help you?" Ugh, her voice.

Most kids would act all nice and sweet - innocent. But I wasn't going to let anyone know I was faking it all, that it was all some cover. That'd be way too easy, and I'd be screwed. So I weakly smiled and mumbled, "I'm new."

Somehow she heard me, and in someway she knew who i was because she gave me another smile as she placed some paper in my hands. I looked down to find my schedule along with my locker number and combination. The other was a yellow slip filled with blanks.

"Get your teacher to fill this out and bring it back here after school." I nodded and began to walk away. But as I turned, I ran into something rather huge. I looked up into the boy's eyes and felt a sudden internal pull towards him.

His face held a feeling of amazement, and he opened his mouth to saying something but I cut him off, mumbling sorry and walking again. I didn't have a good enough sense to really get a look at the guy that I had run in to. But his glistening brown eyes stayed in my head.

x-x

Jacob's POV.

Her eyes, the most beautiful dark brown eyes I'd ever seen. Her make-up was surely not needed, there was too much covering up her beautiful face. I hardly got a glance at her, but just five seconds was enough for me. It all happened so quickly and I felt totally different. A small glance of that girl and it felt like gravity was no longer holding me to Earth. She was. I stopped dead in my tracks, causing Jared and Embry to run into my back.

"Dude, why the sudden stop?" Embry asked as he waved a hand in front of my face. Jared gasped and started to laugh out loud, it was enough to make me come back to reality.

"Shit, you did!" Jared teased. I rolled my eyes and shook it off. "Oh, wait till Quil hears about this. You'll owe him big time!" I groaned and shoved Jared into a locker before walking off to class.

When I walked into the classroom Mr. Tamms gave me a stern look before nodding his head over to my seat. Quil turned around in his seat and gave me a 'wtf' look for being late. Again. Mr. Tamms took attendance quickly before starting the lesson. I slowly leaned down so my body was on both of the chairs. I was glad I didn't have a partner who shared the same desk as me.

The whole class that was before talking loudly, got quiet and light footsteps walked into the room. I sat up and looked over at the girl from earlier. She looked so tired and vulnerable and my heart began to hurt.

"Everyone, this is Braylin Kennedy. Please welcome her to the best of your ability. Take a seat next to Mr. Black - eh Jacob, raise your hand." He looked over to me and I shot my hand up without hesitation. Mr. Tamms began talking again on the lesson and turned the lights off so we could watch some movie.

I couldn't help but look out of the corner of my eye and watch as Braylin sat awkwardly in her seat. She didn't really move at all and her head was down most of the time. Why was she wearing a jacket, though? It's completely boiling around here - no pun intended.

I turned my head to get a good look at Braylin, but as I began to memorize every feature, she looked over at me. I smiled at her and began to say something but the bell rang signaling the end of class. That Braylin girl was out of the class in a flash.

x-x

Braylin's POV.

He was there, again. I'd seen him in almost every class that I had. But luckily I didn't have to keep my distance from him when History class came. In that class I met these boys, Jared and Paul. They were huge dorks, but considerably hilarious. They made me feel more welcomed than ever, and believe it or not, they almost got a smile out of me.

Paul had invited me to sit with him and his friends at lunch and since I didn't really have anywhere else to go, I told him yes. And when lunch approached, I had found myself at a table with a bunch of huge muscular boys. And then I remembered yesterday - they were the cliff divers.

"Finally, you're here Jake, what took you so long?" I lifted my head at Quil's exaggerating voice and my eyyes met once again with the boy from all of my other classes - the one with those brown eyes. I quickly looked away and started to fidget with my fingers.

"Sorry." He simply said. "Braylin, you're in most of my classes." He pulled together after a minute of silent awkwardness. I smiled weakly and nodded in what seemed to be agreement, but I really wasn't sure.

"How are you liking La Push so far, Bray?" Paul asked me.

I smiled at the nickname. Then the Jake boy started to shake, so I hurriedly answered Paul. "Um, it's alright so far. I mean, I just moved here yesterday." Jake was calm within seconds, and his stare was directly at me. What was it, that was in his eyes? I couldn't exactally pinpoint it exactally. Was it adoration?

"Well we should hang out sometime." Paul flashed me a grin and wiggled his eyebrows. Suddenly Jake was out of control and swung his fist right into Paul's face.

I gasped quietly but froze, unsure on what I should do. But surprisingly Paul shrugged it off and shot me another smile. I gave him a weak smile and nodded. "Yeah, that'd be great. But - only if Oliv- my dad says I can."

"Great." He smiled. The bell rang faintly but it was easy to hear. I sighed and smiled at the boys as I walked off to class. Was it just me, or was Jacob getting mad that Paul was flirting with me? Was he jealous?
♠ ♠ ♠
Whoo! Chapter two already. :D
Big thanks to the readers, and especially to
the people who actually commented on this. <3

Geum Rivale
winddancerx17
ZombiesGoRAWR
XOXloveangelXOX
BreeVixen
Captain Laser Beam.
shadowhorses
bapple
Cutie 0.0 Cucumber

Tell me how you like this chapter, I'll update soon. (:

xx