The Only Exception

Thirty Five.

His disgusting smirk sent shivers through my entire body, I cringed and looked away as he licked his lips while he mentioned the taste of blood. I knew he was doing this to scare me and beg him to kill me now, but in all honesty I still had the least bit of hope, even if I knew this was the last for me. Against he began to illustrate the image of blood, how in a vampire’s eyes, it was so much more appealing. The scent was supposedly something that made their throats itch and stomach growl and crave for it. The way he described the taste, I felt sick to my stomach; I didn’t give a damn how sweet like fire it tasted, how it soothed your throat the instant you swallowed a drop…

“You’re fucking sick, you know that!?” I yelled while grabbing at my head again. I had not even realized the full blown kick I’d gotten to my stomach all right after yelling at the blood-crazed vampire. I had been told numerous times not to back-sass this Zane guy, but I gave up on the first couple of blows that he’d given me straight to the stomach.

Chuckling, Zane walked towards me, towering over my limp body. “Now are we going to behave, Miss Kennedy?” I didn’t reply, I was scaring myself into not saying something stupid.

I grimaced, “Fuck you.” I watched him stare down at me, he didn’t even flinch. My face showed no emotion as I stared into his eyes, even though the fear was overpowering my insides. It had almost completely overshadowed and hid the pains in my heart, but it still wasn't enough.

“Let’s play a game, shall we?” He suggested, and knowing that I had no other choice but to follow his rules until he killed me, I swung my right hand as quick as I could to hit him in the face. Zane was too fast though, and as he began to smile, his left hand squeezed my wrist tightly. I screamed in clear agony as I heard the bones pop and crack, being crushed so easily. He let my hand go and quickly I cradled my hand and whimpered.

“What do you want?” I managed to force out. I was shaking now, my back up against the cold stone wall, my breaths becoming shorter and hitched.

Zane sighed and before I could comprehend, he was standing right in front of me. “You poor child,” He tsked and shook his head. “This game is what I like to call ‘find the escaping human, catch her, and she is all yours.’”

Again I whimpered and pushed myself up against the wall as much as I could. My heart was now beating uncontrollably, too fast, almost. This man sickened me, he made me feel the worst physical pain I’d ever felt before. The fear he gave me tore my sanity to pieces, this was all too rough and edgy.

“Now,” Zane began, “The way we play is, I let you leave as I count up to fifteen. You’re allowed to run, and of course, scream for help. But might I warn you, we are far out in the south – no one will be able to hear you.” He deeply chuckled and stepped closer to my shaking frame. “Are you ready?” I chewed on my bottom lip hard, my knees were becoming very weak and I was afraid I’d fall within second.

”Go.”

Zane backed out of the way as I ran towards the door. I could hear him counting, at a normal pace, and every time he got closer to fifteen, I urged myself to run faster. My legs began to drag as I got further, and in fear of falling, also came his fading voice.

”Eleven… twelve… thirteen…fourteen…”

I tried to run faster, ignoring the screaming protest from my tired lungs. I ducked over a tree branch and just as quickly as I passed under it, I tripped over my own feet, while letting out a strangled gasp. I let out a painful groan as I rolled onto my back. My whole body was aching, sore from all of the movements and violence from Zane. My ankles throbbed from the running, my chest was heaving up and down as I felt my lungs begin to give up.

It was then I realized that what was going to happen was being done for the better. The war would be over by now, and Zane didn’t need to take out the pain my mother caused him, on anyone that I truly loved. He could use me for anything now, so long as Jacob and the others were safe.

I choked a sob as I lay on the cold ground, leaves and sticks surrounding my frail and empty body. I wanted to scream, I wanted to yell for Jacob and tell him to save me. Only for a second did I want that, though. I didn’t want Jacob or the others out here risking their lives for me. I ignored the urged to scream for help, even when my conscience told me to do it. I’d rather lie here and say nothing. And then, when Zane came into view and hovered over my lifeless body, my sightless eyes stared into his black ones. I shook off the evil smirk and the disgusting gesture he made when he licked his thing pale lips.

But when Zane crouched down and grabbed me by my hair, by reflex of my past, I let out a scream and swung my arms around as I tried to escape. I heard a deep dark chuckle, and when I looked back over at Zane, he was no longer there. An illusion produced in front of my eyes as my own father. Flinching away I let out a whimper and begged for him to let me go.

“Everything will be okay, Braylin.” The voice said, it sound just like my father’s, but when I looked up at the one holding a tight grip on my head, my father was gone, and in his place was one again the pale, blood-thirsty vampire, Zane.

I shook my head slowly, “Please, don’t…” I felt warm tears begin to flow down my face, and Zane noticed it too, but he only laughed.

“I almost forgot, Miss Kennedy,” His voice seemed the least bit sincere. “I’ve caught you, and now, I believe this is where the real fun starts.”

A quick and sudden movement and I was lifted into the air and slammed against a tree. I was knocked out of air, urgently gasping for as much oxygen that I could take. My back was throbbing now as my ribs cried out for this to stop.

“Please!” I begged him as he grabbed me by the throat and threw me to the ground.

Zane gasped suddenly, “How silly of me! I forgot to mention the rules to you!” He gave me an evil smirk, “If you scream, cry, talk, or try to run, well it’s much more thrilling for me when I snap you in half – after I suck you dry, of course.” He laughed again before lifting up his foot and slammed it downwards. It was then when I heard the crack and felt the skin of my left leg tear.

I regretted it when I let out the highest painful shriek I’d ever been able to manage. I ignored the taunts and jokes that Zane spoke, I cried, tears falling overboard and sobs escaping freely through my mouth, all awhile I grabbed my broken leg with my left hand. My leg began to shoot pain through my nerves and I was able to feel the tremendous pain just about everywhere. I pulled back against the tree and tried my best to hide away from Zane. Cringing and whimpering when he stepped closer, my heartbeat began to slow down to its normal pace and a sudden feeling of relief washed over me. Sensing something, my head snapped over to the left and now the only thing I focused on were the giant wolves appearing out of the shadows.

I didn’t see Jacob though. And when the wolves charged at Zane and began to attack him, running behind them and closer was Jacob himself. His face was etched in agony as he crouched down to my small crumpled frame.

“Jake,” I whispered, feeling just a bit of hope.

He frowned and in his eyes simmered down into a look of adoration, guilt, and pain. “Braylin, my god, I’m so sorry,” He began. I shook my head and grimaced, this wasn’t the time for apologies. Jacob then looked behind him and watched for a second as the others tore Zane apart. I cringed away from the shriek erupting from the vampire’s throat.

“Jake, just take me home,” I whimpered and wrapped my left arm around his neck as his arms went under my legs. At the same time he lifted me into his arms; I let out a painful gasp and shoved my face into his warm chest.

“I’m so sorry,” He said, and I could hear how fragile and unsure his voice was. “I’ve got you, you don’t have to hold on with anything,” He assured me, as he gestured to my left arm. Letting go, I wrapped myself up in Jacob’s chest as I cradled my broken hand. My chest still heaved while I tried to calm down; my eyes were shut tightly and my thoughts were on anything but what had just happened.

Then a voice interrupted my thoughts, “Jacob, we need to get her to Carlisle. I’ll send Embry and the others to get Carlisle and bring him to Emily’s.” It was Sam’s voice, but I could look at him either, because his voice was also shaky, and I knew he felt horrible, just as much as Jake did.

There wasn’t much for me to remember after that. I was surprised that I could hold this long without going completely insane. Every now and again I whimpered and cried so much more if my leg swung the wrong way. Jacob was talking to me though, telling me about the war, and I’d only asked for that to keep my mind off of the incredible pain. I knew I’d fallen asleep during his explanation, and I was so thankful for it; blackness was beginning to surround me and it felt all right.
♠ ♠ ♠
I actually had fun writing the little game that Zane had planned.
What did you think? I need feedback, (:

<3 Comments.
And sorry if these chapters have been horribly.....horrible. lol

:)
<3