The Only Exception

Thirty Six.

Boom boom…

Boom boom…


I kept hearing that sound, and it was the only noticeable sound that I could make out. It was my heartbeat, that was obvious, I believed. It was soothing in some ways, and it was a reminder that I was still alive. The reassurance felt nice, and I felt calm and numb. But I wanted to wake up now.

Boom boom…

Boom boom…


The calm sound lightened my senses and lulled me into a deep sense of sanctuary. It didn’t feel bad, though; it felt right, and reassuring. I began to feel myself breathe again, and my senses got stronger. I was able to smell again. My left hand rubbed the soft covers, and I knew I could feel again as well. I tried moving my right hand but winced and the small sting. When I opened my eyes, I was surprised that my eye sight was just as good as it was before. The blur faded quickly and the dim lit room came into my vision.

My eyes wandered around the room, and without hesitation I recognized where I was. I looked down to find that I was tucked in, and Emily or Alice must have changed me before bring me into the guest room. My leg that Zane had stomped on was in a thick white cast that I regretted seeing instantly. Catching my eyes then was the blood bag hanging above my head, along with another bag of a clear fluid. The tubes lead down to my right arm, where the IV was placed. But then something moved in the corner, and when my eyes found it, I saw Jacob slouched down in a chair, sleeping away.

I smiled and went against the idea of waking him up – he needed all of the sleep he could get. I, on the other hand, was not tired, but I was disoriented the slightest, and I was a bit numb. Thinking that sitting myself up more would help, I took my arms and pushed myself up. The sharp stings in my right wrist screamed in agony, and without being able to stop, I gasped and fell back down.

Two loud stomps were then heard and then right before my eyes was a tired, exhausted Jacob, wide eyed and frantic. He checked me over, looking for any damage. “Bray, are you alright? What’s hurting you? Let me call Carlisle, he’ll know what to do.”

“No,” I said stress-fully. I didn’t like seeing Jacob all worked-up over something like this, like me. I shook my head and grimaced, “I’m fine, just forgot about my wrist being broken, that’s all.”

Jake sighed in relief as he leaned down to kiss my sweaty forehead. I smiled when our eyes met, my heart began to beat faster, and the monitor went crazy. We both looked at the screen and laughed at it.

“How long have I been out, Jake?” I asked hoarsely, my voice barely able to be audible.

He grimaced and shrugged, “Just two days is all – but that’s good, you need the sleep, and…so did it.” He smirked as I let out a small giggle.

“You’re tired, Jake, go back to sleep, I’ll be alright,” I smiled up at him.

Jake shook his head stubbornly, “I’m not sleepy anymore, not when I’ve seen that you finally woke up.” I nodded slowly and with my left hand I reached over to his and grasped it with my own.

This nagging feeling gnawed at my stomach and at the tip of my thoughts. I believed that talking to him now would be reasonable, but decided against it; now wasn’t the best time to tell Jacob that I was sorry for all of this. Tell him how much I regret what happened; remind him that he didn’t need to be with me if he didn’t want to – though he’d argue with the imprint excuse.

“What are you thinking about, Bray?”

“Huh?” I looked up with confusion.

Chuckling, Jake crawled on the other side of the bed and brought me gently into his large warm arms. “You’ve got that expression on your face, the one that makes you look a bit constipated and in concentration.”

I let out a small scoff before laughing with him. Leaning my head against his chest I answered, “I… I’m sorry for this, Jake. I’m so sorry that all of this had to happen, I didn’t mean for –“

“Shh,” He quieted me. “You have nothing to be sorry for, Bray. The war was never your fault; the vampires had already been after Bella, and the bastard that was after you joined in. I mean, Leah is almost completely healed, too, and nothing too bad even happened,”

“Wait, what?” I gasped lightly, “What happened to Leah?”

He sighed and shook his head, “She tried to be the hero and take on a newborn by herself. It ended up getting his arms around her, crushing her right side.”

My eyes widened and I chewed on my bottom lip, “Is she alright?”

Scoffing, Jake answered with, “Of course she is! She’s a wolf, after all,” His laugh made me smile mostly to myself, but it was enough to lift my heart.

“Everyone is alright?” I asked quietly after a minute of silence. I placed my ear against Jake’s chest, where the sound of Jake’s rhythmic heart calmed my little nerves, putting them to sleep.

“Yes,” He said simply. After another minute of silence, Jake broke it, “Braylin, I need you to know how much I love you. You should realize by now that you are my life, and my world, and I will spend the rest of my life saving your butt if I have to. I love you, Braylin.”

I was shocked, to say the least. I didn’t know what to say to that, it was out of nowhere and was a bit random. But I went with my heart, which was telling me to follow it. “I love you, too, Jacob. I will never leave your side, ever.” I grimaced at such cheesiness. Jake smile widely and reached down to kiss me softly on the lips.

I sighed in content, while finally realizing what all of this meant. Things were going to be different now, and though hardships were sure to come along the way, it would all be okay. The rough edges that both Jacob and I had gone through were now scars hidden deep away within our hearts. They would never disappear or fade. The obstacles of the beatings that my father had put upon me in blame for my mother’s death, that was sure to stay and leave a scar. Jacob going through his teenage years with a painful transformation, getting filled in with the truth; he was a wolf, a protector, and that would always be with him, deep inside.

Facing the truth that not everything is perfect and not everyone is reliable; but knowing the one that you can trust is the one who fills your heart will cool flames that don’t burn you, your soul mate and your life. Depending on not only ourselves but each other, made things seem easier, because we had one another to comfort in solace.

I finally realized the true meaning of love; Jacob was mine as I was his, imprint or not. Knowing that secrets usually tore people apart was no matter for the secrets that the two of us had; it made us inevitable and stronger, even when in doubt that such a thing could be possible and not one of us would run away. I knew that these things between us, they had a strong meaning, a forward message, they made us The Only Exception.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, I just HAD to get the last chapter out!

I really hope you guys enjoyed this, I had a blast writing for you guys, and really I did. I want to thank everyone, all of my readers, subscribers, and especially the ones who commented throughout the story.

Thank you so so so much:
Lui.
Both Sam's. (Cookiepirate09 and somerhalder.)
Bri.
Holly.
Yasmin.
Donna.

You guys helped me so much through this and I could not have done it without you guys. I love you guys, you’re amazing!