The Only Exception

Eight.

"So, what do you want to talk about, exactly?" I asked as I watched Jacob pace in front of me on the beach. I was currently sitting down on a log, and watching Jacob go insane quietly, and fight with himself over something.

"How am I going to do this - no that's just - shit..." he muttered to himself as he flailed his arms about, running his hands through his hair in nervousness.

"Hello, Earth to Jacob Black?" I mumbled. He turned his head and smiled at me. "What?" I asked.

"Nothing." He said before beginning to pace again.

Letting out a groan I kicked sand with my feet. I looked out at the water and smiled at how peaceful the beach looked. I'd never been to a beach, and just being near one made me the least bit happy. So, without hesitation, I kicked off my shoes and socks and stood up from the log.

"Where are you going?" Jacob asked as I began to walk over to the shore.

"I'm going to feel the water." I gave him a weak smile before turning back and walking out to the wet sand.

I smiled to myself as the wet sand went between my toes, the coldness felt nice, too. I tip-toed closer to the water, sure enough that I knew it'd be cold, and waited for the water to crash up around me.

"You ever been to one before?" Jacob asked suddenly next to me. I jumped and let out a quiet yelp before looking at Jacob.

"What do you mean?" I breathed.

"You know, a beach?" He gave me a toothy grin.

"Oh, a beach." I concluded. I shook my head and shrugged, "Nope, never before. Being able to go to a beach all the time is probably the only positive thing that came out of moving here." I mumbled the last part.

"You don't like it here?" He asked, confusion on his face. I gave him a weird look and shrugged again.

"It's just... different here. I'm different than the others, and don't deny that because I know you see it too." Jacob nodded and chuckled together.

"Well, that's because you're quiet, and no one in La Push is ever quiet."

"So you're not used to quiet people?" I assumed. Jacob sighed and shook his head. His face became plain and in a way, hateful.

"I knew one girl who was just like you, actually. Her name's Bella Swan."

"You seem to be the kind of guy that liked her more than a friend?" I concluded once again. He shrugged and nodded. "Was she your girlfriend?"

"Kind of, I guess. We only hung out after that bloo- Er, Edward left her. But once he came back, she left me for him." I pieced together what he was saying and finally brought it to a conclusion.

"Edward - the one you called last week?"

"Yeah, him."

"How does he know Carlisle?" I asked, interested.

"Edward, along with his adoptive brothers and sisters, Alice, Rosalie, Emmett and Jasper, are all adopted by Carlisle and his wife, Esme."

"So Edward left, and did the others, too?"

"Yup." He popped his 'p' and sighed.

"But they are all back now, for good? Why did they leave in the first place?"

Jacob chuckled - probably because I was so interested in this, and said, "They are here for good - I think. And Bella said that Edward needed a break, I guess." I nodded and gave Jacob an apologetic smile.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that, Jacob." I whispered.

"It's not biggy." Jacob shrugged it off. "And hey, call me Jake." I bit my lip and nodded.

"Alright, Jake."

"Much better." He sighed and gave me a smile. "So, tell me more about yourself."

"Hmm? Oh, I'd rather not." I mumbled. "Wait, how did we even get into this conversation?" I asked. Jacob chuckled and gave me an 'I don't know' look before shuffling his feet in the sand.

"Come on, tell me something? One thing, and that's it." I rolled my eyes and gave in.

"My favorite color is blue."

Jacob gaped at me for what seemed like ten minutes, but soon recovered. "Oh, come on! That's not even important, Bray - lin..." I gave him a shrug, and then pulled my hair out of my face.

"That's all you get, sir." I grinned. Why was I having fun teasing him?

"Well, I think there is a way that I can get you to tell me something."

"Oh? And what is that, Jacob?" Forgetting to call him by 'Jake' I just shrugged.

"This." He said before grabbing my arms and pushing me near the water. He held me by my arms and dared to drop me in the water.

"Jacob, don't even think about it!" I yelled over the waves that were now coming closer to my head. And before I could react, Jacob had dropped me into the cold - shallow - water. I let out a high-pitched scream and stumbled my way off the ground. "I am going to kill you!" I yelled as I began to chase Jacob around the beach.

"Yeah, right!" He yelled behind his shoulder as he ran. I ran faster, and having this much fun, I hadn't even been paying attention to the throbbing pain in my side. And once I was close enough I grabbed onto Jacob and pulled us both into the water.

"Ha! Even!" I giggled. Jacob rolled his eyes and pulled us both out of the water.

"You're mean." He pouted. I gave him a weird look that got him to smile. Now realizing it, Jacob and I were only mere inches away from eachother.

The wind got stronger and blew my now wet hair in my face. Jacob chuckled and helped pull my hair out of my way. "Thanks." I said with a small laugh. Jacob's face got closer and our smiles faded, just as his lips pressed down onto mine.

Jacob's warm hands caressed my face as he kissed me. I hardly kissed back - I'd never kissed someone before, so I was fairly new to this. But after a moment of his lips and mine together, I gave in and kissed him back. His warm and soft lips felt like bliss to me. I let my hands tangle up in his short cropped hair and his warm hands trailed down my shoulders, to my hips, and held me close to him.

The kissing never stopped - never went faster, nor did it slow down. It stayed at an even pace. And as our lips molded together perfectly, like pieces to a puzzle, flashes of beatings zoomed past my eyes. I flinched away and broke the kiss. Jacob gave me a skeptical yet worried look.

"Are you okay? Did I do something - "

"No, you did nothing. I - I have to go, Jacob, I'm sorry." I said quickly before running up the sand hill to grab my shoes, and then running up to the road and back to where I knew I'd be in a hell lot of trouble. I looked around as I ran back home - it was getting dark and Oliver was bound to already be home.

Once I reached the door, I pulled it open and readied myself for something new. But as I got into the door and my hair was being yanked, my body being thrown to the ground, and the belt slashing against my noticeable skin, I couldn't stop thinking about that kiss.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh snap.

O_O I hope you like. ;D
I'm working on the next chapter as we speak!

Comments, please. Makes things go by much faster.
wink wink.