Somewhere in Between

Earth

“Forever can be too much for some couples but I think that we just might make it,” I told him turning away and facing the wind.

“I don’t care where you go or what happens to you. I’ll follow you anywhere even off the edge of a cliff, just as long as I can be with you that’s all that matters,” I felt strong arms on my shoulders, spinning me around to face him.

“How can you say that?” He told me an anguished look on his face.

“After everything you just learned how can you just stand there with a face devoid of any type of fear and tell me you’ll follow me anywhere?” He raised his voice after every word and by the end was practically shouting, it wasn’t an angry shout though, it was one full of despair.

“Silly,” I told him putting on of my hands on his cheek.

“It’s because of what you just told me, that I can say this to you because if you were anyone else in the world I wouldn’t have to worry about you leaving and never being able to talk or see you again, because we’re not talking about you moving to a different state or even country because you wouldn’t. You’d be going down there, to a place I couldn’t reach you if I tried, at least not the way I am now.” By this time, I had both hands on his cheeks and was slowly leaning in. Within seconds, our lips were just inches apart and he took the opportunity to whisper something to me.

“Later,” he said in a breathy voice.

“Later, I have something I really want to tell you,” while he said this I took the opportunity to close my eyes and imagine what he had to tell me maybe something like ’I Love You’ who knows. After a couple of seconds, I felt him ever so slightly start to erase the remaining space between his lips and mine. I felt a slight pressure on my lips and then… nothing.

Nothing on my lips and nothing beneath my fingertips. I slowly opened my eyes to see… nothing. He was gone and by the black and gray ash that littered the ground in front on me, I took it he gone, to that place no one alive can enter.