Us Against the World

Nightmare

Something hit the wall outside my door causing me to let out a scream. I hated noise that I couldn’t see where they came from.

Laughing at my reaction Felix informed me that Alec was just upset that he couldn’t be in here with me because he had an incredible urge to devour me and that since Alec couldn’t control himself around me he got to tickle me; which he proceeded to do causing me to shriek with laughter. Scolding him I cringed when a bang sounded and rang through the hall followed by more shrieks and screams.

“I’m sorry I’m human if it’s a problem you don’t have to stay with me,” I felt bad for smelling appetizing to Alec. I liked hanging out with him. Sure we didn’t speak much but I found that the small communication we did have was deep and intelligent (for the most part) and our silence was comforting. I didn’t think it was anything more than friendship but I wouldn’t mind it if it was more. I felt completely safe around Alec, even when his sister who was more than intent on drinking me dry and reveling in my dying screams (her words not mine), was around.

“It’s not you being human. His thirst is something he has always fought against around you, it’s not that he has problems but you are a singer and having drunk from one today he is craving more, so your blood is calling out to him more.” Sitting up Heidi nodded at Felix who wrapped his arms around me before exiting the room. “How do you feel about coming out fishing with me tonight?”

“Do you feed every night?” nodding her head, she grinned at me sheepishly. “Oh,”

“Tourists really, who knows where or when they go missing. But since we feasted last night it will be a much smaller party than you have seen so far,” smiling as she tried not to scare me, I returned the gesture.

“Heidi, I have a question,” watching her eyes spark with curiosity as she nodded her head, caramel hair falling forward into her face, “How long have I been here?”

Studying my face for any hint of sadness or such other emotions she smiled in thought, “I believe it has been a couple weeks, maybe three or less” bringing her eyes back to my face, I admired the crimson effect. “So fishing, are you coming?”

“I’d like that I suppose. If I am going to be staying her I suppose I should do something to pull my weight,” plus it would give me something to do tonight and since soon I would be going to sleep I would didn’t doubt Heidi would wake me to dress me up. At least it would be something for her to do and plan over during the day while I slept.

I had taken to keeping mostly the same hours as those around me, living up to my night owl status that I had possessed through my teenage years. Come seven or eight in the morning I would finally fall asleep and wake around six in the evening, refreshed and ready for a night of vampire time.

Relaxing against my pillows I smiled at Heidi as she fell back beside me watching me as I shut my eyes and drifted off, my breathing evening out. I guess someone else who knew those around me were vampires would wonder how I could sleep at all, let alone with one beside me but the truth was it didn’t bother me at all.

[color=# 3772A9]I was running, I wasn’t sure where I was running too but it was definitely in the halls of Volterra. When I stopped outside the meeting room and pushed the doors open I expected to get a scolding from Aro for interrupting something. Instead I was greeted by an empty room; well mostly empty room.

There was a little boy perched in the middle of the room staring at me with wide blue eyes; terrified blue eyes that seemed to be pleading with me for help. It was then I noticed the room wasn’t empty after all. All of the Volturri were present, coming from alcoves and hidden doorways. Moving to swarm the poor boy who couldn’t have been more than three, I did the only thing I could think of; I threw myself on top of him, covering his ears and letting out an ear splitting scream.


I woke screaming, Alec standing over me concern written all over his face. Sobbing I threw my arms around his neck pulling myself up until I was flush against him.

“Please don’t hurt him,” tucking my face into the crook of his neck as he hesitantly dropped his arms behind my back, I sobbed into his chest.

“Hurt who?”

“The little boy with blue eyes,” pulling away I looked into his own crimson eyes as Heidi stepped into the room, Aro, Felix and Demetri a step behind her.

“What little boy with blue eyes Adele?” gently grabbing my face between his palms he looked closely at my eyes. “Aro, there dilated like a cat’s,”

Looking up at the dark haired man, I wasn’t sure I wanted to like or not, I looked at the hand he held out to me. I knew by now all about their ‘gifts’ and if I touched Aro’s hand he would know everything I had been thinking.

“Trust me child. I am not going to hurt you I just want to see this little boy you speak off,” instead of leering or smirking down on me, he held his hand out patiently waiting for me to touch it. If I didn’t they wouldn’t know what I was talking about and since I didn’t want to relive the nightmare, I put my trust in Aro and dropped my hand onto his.

Tucking my fingers into his hand like his fingers were a glove, I shut his eyes as my thoughts, feelings and my nightmare settled down to play themselves before his eyes. I had very little understanding of his gift beside he could read and see everything I have ever felt, thought, seen or heard in my life.

“Aro?” reluctant to let go, Aro opened his eyes and stared down at me in what I could only describe as awe.

“She will be more powerful than we thought. Heidi why don’t you give Alec a moment to calm our friend here and then get her ready for tonight,” nodding at Aro’s requests everyone but Alec exited the room.

“What’s tonight?” puzzled as he was, Alec’s body stiffened as I dropped my head back down to rest on his chest breathing deeply to calm my frayed nerves.

“Adele is going fishing,” the smirk he usually wore must have been present again because Alec growled and I could hear the laughter in Aro’s voice.

I knew Alec didn’t want me to go with Heidi. For some reason he fought against Aro, Marcus and Caius to keep me human and something like this might damage my human frailty I suppose. But I wanted to go, but first I wanted to snuggle into Alec and stay there.
I was in deep trouble now.
♠ ♠ ♠
BAM. Look's like I am caught up on co-writes. I think I am going to write the next one for Us Against The World.

Does anyone have any predictions: on the dream, on the fishing trip?

Love,
Devon
P.S.
I have a tumblr now: delightful-syn.tumblr.com