Sequel: Picking Up Petals

Scattered Black Roses

Chapter 1

I grabbed my backpack and began the usual clothes stuffing process. One, get the most gothic clothes you can find. Two, don’t get caught by parents. Three, make it to school in one piece. Four, change in the school bathroom fast. Five, after school, remember to change out of gothic clothes.

So far, step one was going just fine.

The extra set of clothes usually had black skinny jeans or a dark colored skirt/skort and black fishnet stockings as for the top, it was a band tee/black hoodie, dark corset, or just a dark shirt and sometimes I’d wear my long or short black fishnet gloves. Along with the clothes there was lots of eyeliner and dark nail polish! I also bring my journal with a bleeding heart on the cover to complete the look; not that I was a poser or anything because what I wear is my style.

Right when I finished, my phone rang. I looked at the caller ID and saw it was Serena, or as I call her Rena, my best friend for life. Gladly, I flipped it open.

“Rena!” I said as I threw my bag over my shoulder. We hardly ever said hi or hello on the phone because we liked to be different. It was sort of our way of doing things.

“Rose!” two voices replied.

“Who else is on there?” I asked with a raised eyebrow.

“It’s me, Matt.” I smiled. It was my boyfriend’s voice. I’d known him since freshman year. We have been dating since sophomore year.

“Hey, Mattie,” I said while taking a look in the mirror.

“Hurry up!” Rena shouted.

“Sorry, Rena,” I ran a brush through my shoulder length brunette straight hair as I looked into my reflection with my dark eyes.

“We’re outside. Come on, hurry up!” she repeated followed by the sound of her hanging up was all I heard before I trudged downstairs.

I grabbed a pear and called, “I’m heading out now!” up to my parents.

Lazily, I walked down the porch steps and towards the beat up Mustang. Matt got out of the car and opened the passenger door for me. We kissed quickly before I slid into the car.

Matt’s short blond hair seemed a little messy as he closed the door and got in the driver’s side casually. Serena was silent; she must’ve fallen asleep. The only sound was the radio until Matt looked over at me with his chocolate brown eyes.

“What? Is it my makeup?” I said with a mouthful of pear deliciousness.

He chuckled, “Don’t you know better than to talk with your mouth full?”

“Don’t you know better than to rush a chick before she’s had anything to eat?”

“Touché.”

“My point exactly.”

He reached over and jabbed a finger into my side making me jump up and squeak. “Payback is a bitch isn’t it?” he taunted.

I slapped his hand when he reached over again, “No, it’s sensitive there!” I joked.

“Is it sensitive here too?” he reached his hand up my leg and I slapped it away. I stuck my tongue out at him. Payback really is a bitch huh, Matt? Ha.
He turned his attention back to driving. Ha no comebacks. Score two hundred sixty-eight for Rosie! Yeah, I liked to win.

I guess that’s what we had in common. He liked to win football games and I liked to just win when I could get the chance.

A song I loved came on the radio so I turned up the volume and sort of sung all the words. Well I sung it in my mind ha. I didn’t like to sing inside cars because it felt weird to me.

When the song ended, I turned around and saw Serena sleeping with her head rested against the window. “Wow she sounded awake not too long ago.”

“Well you know how she is,” Matt threw on his sunglasses when we hit a stop light.

I bit into my pear. What else could I say?

“You’re not going to change clothes again are you?” The question surprised me.

I turned to him, “Yeah, why?”

“It’s nothing,” His face went rigid.

“You don’t like it do you?” I looked out the window. Quite frankly I didn’t give a damn if he liked it or not. I wasn’t going to be something I wasn’t in front of my friends.

“I love you for you, not some Goth chick,” He grumbled.

I turned back to him. “Well this is what I want to do.”

“Who are you trying to impress?” His grip tightened on the wheel.

I couldn’t really answer the question. That’s when it happened. I saw him. My old crush was leaning against the front school wall. I’d had a crush on him ever since middle school. Then I realized I wasn’t wearing my second set of clothes. Damn.

My eyes never left Benn’s figure as I got a bit nervous. He’s never seen me in anything besides my second set of clothes as far as I knew. It was the only way he’d look twice at me! Sure, Matt and I were together, but I wanted Benn. I’ve always wanted him, but Matt was sweet and caring. My throat grew dry as I dropped the pear into the mini trashcan by my foot before I held my hands together in my lap.

I started to panic, but I managed to keep it in. “Can you pull into the back parking lot?”

“Sure, but why?” Matt raised an eyebrow as he drove past Benn like he wasn’t there. Jocks.

“I need the exercise,” I muttered as I looked in the rearview mirror.

Benn’s hands were in the pockets of his black skinny jeans and his black t-shirt seemed to almost cover them. His black hair covered one of his dark eyes.

I was lost in my thoughts when Matt opened my door and picked up my backpack for me, “Are you coming?”

“Yeah, just give me a minute!” I turned around and shook Serena.

“Five more minutes...” Serena’s head slunk against the window. Her light brown hair covered her face and green eyes. The orange headband she wore never did a good job of holding her hair back.

Matt opened the door that Serena’s head rested against and she jolted awake. She looked around in a confused manner before getting it together, “Huh? What? Wait! Come on, we have to get you changed!”

I took the backpack from Matt and kissed him on the cheek, “Thanks, Hun!”

We took off our seatbelts and rushed into the school; heading straight for the bathroom. Luckily, the halls were barely crowded and no one paid attention to us. It made the rush almost more necessary though.

Rena unzipped my bag as I closed a bathroom stall door behind me. She tossed over a black and blue corset and a black skirt with a chain hanging from it. A great factor about Serena was that she never tossed any of the clothes near the toilet. Ick, I couldn’t imagine pulling out clothes from that.

I threw off my pink top and jean skirt and hurriedly changed into the corset and chain skirt. Everything went on easily thank goodness! Even better, Benn hadn’t seen me. I think.

I sighed as I opened the stall and walked towards my skilled best friend.

She had out my eyeliner and fishnet gloves. Rena slid the gloves on my hands then got to work on my eyes. She finished in a mere minute and painted my nails expertly.

“All done!” she turned me to face the mirror and was amazed at my reflection. I loved having a fashionista friend. Sure, she wasn’t a complete perfectionist, but she got the job done well.

I looked down at myself and realized I was only wearing my white sneakers. I rushed to my bag and reluctantly found the fishnet stocking, but realized I’d forgotten my black chain zip-up boots. “Oh no! I can’t believe I forgot my boots!”

Serena grabbed her bag and pulled out a pair of black stiletto boots. She handed them to me with a smile, “Happy early birthday!”

I took off my shoes and put on the boots, “Thank you so much!” I got up and hugged her tight.

“We’re going to be late!” she warned as I let go.

I zipped them up and picked up my bag at the same time Rena did. “Okay, let’s go.”

We walked out of the bathroom and I immediately ran into someone.

“Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry!” I looked up and nearly gasped.

Benn stared at me intently. His eyes seemed to pierce my soul. He made no attempt to move.

“Oh, um, I’ll be at my locker see you!” Rena took off down the hall with a quick wink at me.

Why Serena? Why must you betray me at my time of need? Oh, I felt so faint…

“Hey, are you okay?” his voice could have touched my very soul.

Oh my god his eyes…And that hot figure…He was so close to me…

“Hello?” he continued to look down at me.

“Oh yeah, I’m fine! Sorry about running into you.” I looked down at my feet like there was a hidden answer or something.

“You might want to get to class. You’re already late.” He tore his gaze from mine and began making his way down the hall.

“Wait! Aren’t you a senior? Shouldn’t you be going that way?” I pointed the opposite direction.

“I’m not going to class,” he stated simply.

“So you’re just going to skip?” I squeaked. Oh my god I’m such a dork! I just squeaked!

His expression was blank, “Yeah, what about it?”

“I-I…let me go with you!” Did I just say that? Really? What has the world gone to?

“Come on then,” his dark soulful eyes were on mine once again as he stopped walking just long enough for me to catch up.

I could literally feel my innocence slip away…
♠ ♠ ♠
This was a story I wrote a while back, but I made it new and improved! Leave a comment to let me know what you think! (Yes, I'm talking to you reader!)