Sequel: Picking Up Petals

Scattered Black Roses

Chapter 16

There he was, all wrapped up in bandages and everything. Bandages were all over him except for his face. It looked as though he was in a car accident or something!

I walked up to him and examined his face even though his eyes were closed.

A long silence echoed in the room besides that stupid beeping machine.

I reached out to touch him but stopped myself right before I was close enough. “Derrick... if only you knew how sorry I am... if only you would open your eyes and see me. I'd give anything to see your deep blue green eyes, to see you smile again, to hear you laugh, to feel your arms around me..." I trailed off as I kept my gaze away from him.

There was a lot of movement in the hallway. Some people were still crying and others were doing who-knows-what. I wondered what Ms. Garnell was doing, but was afraid for her because of Derrick's condition.

Another silence echoed.

Tears stung my eyes, and this time I let them fall. Now I knew why things with Benn didn't feel right. I loved Derrick. I loved him more than anyone else on the planet. My heart fluttered as I clutched my necklace. Slowly, I unclipped it and put it around Derrick's neck, ignoring the fact that he was shirtless.

I turned away and started to walk towards the door. "I understand if you hate me, but I'd really, really want you to know how I feel. Ever since that day I ran into you, you've been in my thoughts. Recently, I figured out why... it's because I love you." I was really glad that Derrick was unconscious when I said that. Or not.

I got ready to leave when I heard a cough behind me.

I froze before I turned around to see those blue green eyes again. “You're awake! Oh my goodness, what happened to you? And before I really freak out, did u hear any of what I said?"

He motioned for me to come and sit beside him.

I walked over and did what he wanted.

“It was a crash no big deal, I was spacing out so it’s my fault. The whole you and Benn thing must’ve got to my head. Haha, I remember the last time I was here,” he laughed nervously.

I shot him a look.

Derrick sighed, “It was when my little sister was in the hospital.”

“What sister?” What the hell? Derrick has a sister? Why haven’t I ever met her? How old was she and what did she look like?

He sighed again, “She had blond hair and light blue eyes. Her name was Becky and she was seven about to go on eight years.”

“What about her? What happened to her?” I was curious.

He shifted uncomfortably, “Eight years ago she died because I couldn’t protect her…eight years exactly today.” Derrick clenched his fist, “The damned thieves broke into my house and my sister happened to walk downstairs. She told them to go away and that’s when I walked down the stairs. One of them grabbed her and pulled out a knife.”

I shifted and listened on intently.

“Then the next thing you know, the knife was used to stab her over and over…when she was on the ground…they kicked her in the stomach mercilessly…” he grit his teeth at the last sentence.

“What happened to you?” I put my hand over his softly.

“A knife was held to my throat and I was consistently punched in the stomach. When my dad got back, the knife slid across my shoulder leaving this scar,” he motioned to his shoulder.

I gasped in surprise when I looked at the scar. I had no idea that all could’ve happened to him. Derrick always seemed so content with life…so peaceful.
He shifted again and stroked the top of my hand over his.

“Did you do this to yourself? Cut I mean? I saw scratches under your shirt the second day I fell on you…Is your sister the reason? I mean…you don’t have to answer you know…” I looked away from him.

“Yes and partly.”

“Derrick!” I scolded.

He laughed as if I’d said something funny.

“Why are you laughing?” I looked at him again.

“So, I heard the last thing you said," he avoided answering the question after he stopped laughing.

I ignored that fact. "Are you still mad at me?" I asked.

“No, that’s not it, but there's something else."

“What do you-" I got pulled down by Derrick into a kiss.

The kiss was short and sweet. If I wasn't already sitting, I'd probably have fallen to my knees or something! In my mind I cursed at myself because I was such a klutz.

He pulled away with a smirk.

I blushed and looked away from him. Then I realized I was wearing a short nightgown. I turned myself away from his view. "Why were you looking at me like that?"

“Did you dress up all for me?" he mused.

“Yes, Derrick, I dressed like this just for you," I went along with it as I stood and walked to the door.

“Tell Mom, I'm okay," he said.

“How'd you know your mom was here?"

“I just know," he replied. “Are you coming back soon?"

“Probably," I looked back at him, “I'm glad you're okay." Then, I left the room with a blush still on my face.

Ms. Garnell was right where I'd left her except she was holding onto her cross and praying.

“Ma'am?"

She looked up at me.

“Derrick told me to tell you that he's okay. He's awake now, but I should head home because school is tomorrow and all."

“Okay, thank you for being here may the Lord watch over you. Be safe," she nodded at me.

I walked away and was out of the hospital quickly. By the time I got in my car it was three in the morning. I could tell the school morning would be horrible.
There was no traffic so I got home quickly. Luckily, no one was awake and there were no lights on.

I rushed up the stairs and got in bed with thoughts of Derrick. Life was about to stop being suckish. I could feel it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you all for your support (: as I said before the story ending is right around the corner! It's done, but I'm re-editing but it will be posted sooner than you think :p