Sequel: Picking Up Petals

Scattered Black Roses

Chapter 6

After I got myself together, I stood and thanked Derrick again for being my shoulder to cry on. I smiled on the outside, but on the inside I was completely horrified that someone, a guy, saw me at my weakest. It was a moment of complete vulnerability for me, yet it was one of the sweetest moments of my life.

We both said our goodbyes as I headed into the school. I was sure I'd missed a few classes. Maybe if I was really lucky I'd be on time for the end of gym. My face was red enough from panicking and exercise would only make it much worse. Besides, I needed to talk with Rena so she could hear the details of my drama.

Before I could head to class, I headed into the bathroom to change. This time I got everything done alone. It felt almost...awkward. Oh, Rena, I need your help! It’s like our routine became a part of me.

Once I finished applying my black eye liner I looked in the mirror. As I expected, it didn't look as good as when Rena did it. Man, I hope she won't be mad when, or if, I decide to tell her about me and Derrick.

With a last look in the mirror and a sigh, I was off to my locker. The halls were clear, well until the second I got my locker open and everyone crowded into the small hallway. Thank goodness I wasn't claustrophobic.

“Rosie!" Rena ran up to me with a worried expression.

“Yes?" I stuffed my backpack into my locker and turned to her.

She threw her arms around me, “I heard about the break up. Oh, it sounded horrible! I'm so sorry it had to happen to you!"

I hugged back, “I’m okay, really. I got what I deserved all along. He and I just weren't meant to be."

“Do you want me to hurt him?" she smiled. That's intimidating.

“No, Rena. You just can't go around hurting people!” I laughed. Rena was the best friend I could ever have. She knew how to make me smile through all my issues.

She let go of me. “Well the option will always be there. Just in case you know."

“Where have you been? I looked all over the place trying to find you.”

“I'll tell you later.” I leaned against my opened locker. “What class-” she cut me off.

“You're just in time for gym!" Rena closed her locker and pulled me down the hall. Damn.

++++

I practically ran out of gym the second the bell rang. It was stuffy and hard to breathe in there. Gym obviously didn’t help me physically or mentally. Others classes went by much quicker than P.E.

“You don’t look so good. Maybe you should go to the nurse,” Rena jogged up to me.

I slowed down to a walk, “No, I’m fine.” My hair was drooped on my shoulders. Every part of me ached.

Rena gave me a worried look, but didn’t say anything else. “Oh, I have good news!” Rena exclaimed.

“What is it?” I stared forward. Her good news wasn’t always actually good news. It was more like an “I just thought I’d warn you…” thing usually.
She stood in front of me with a grin on her face and stopped me from walking, “I scored tickets to the upcoming Oath to Pain concert! But there’s something I need you to do.”

Uh oh. What crazy task was she about to give? I gulped, “What do I have to do this time?”

“You need to sell or give away the extra tickets,” she instructed plain as day.

“That’ll be easy,” I said. Wow that was less dangerous than I thought it would be. Thankfully, I could surprise random people with them.

“Well, here you go!” she handed, more like threw, the tickets to me before she rushed off to the bathroom.

“Oh boy,” I sighed and stuffed the tickets into my pockets as I walked to my locker. It opened with ease. A small smile found its way to my face as I remembered how caring Derrick had been with me.

When I got all my things together I grabbed my phone and texted Rena to wait in the car for me. For some odd reason I felt like taking a walk through the forest. Maybe I just felt like exercising for once. Yeah, right. Me and felt like exercise didn’t go together at all, but I was drawn to the forest at the moment.

I got her “ok” text and stuffed my phone into my bag. Normally, I’d head to the bathroom and change, but today I didn’t feel like it. I walked through the exit and past the back parking lot with the tickets in my pockets.
With a sigh, I made my way into the forest and walked on the path. I kept walking, but stopped when I heard voices. The voices sounded a lot like Benn and Derrick.

I walked towards the voices making sure I didn’t make a sound. I found them a few feet ahead of me and hid behind a bush where I could clearly see them without them noticing me. Luckily, my movement didn’t catch their attention.
“Hey, Benn, you know that pocket knife you gave me 'bout five years back?” Derrick leaned against a dead tree.

Benn, who was leaning against a live tree, cocked his eyebrow. “Yeah... For good luck... why?”

“Yeahhh... I kind of used it last night,” Derrick responded.

Benn turned towards Derrick, “Used how?”

“Let's just say dad came for a visit...” Derrick turned away.

Benn got off the tree and punched Derrick in the jaw.

I held my hands against my mouth to keep from gasping. What the hell just happened? Why the heck did Benn just punch him like that?! Had Benn completely lost it!?

Derrick staggered back, “Ok, ok, I deserved that... I'm sorry.”

“You better be,” Ben warned.

Derrick’s voice was dark. “Not for doing it... I'm sorry I'm not giving it back.”
Benn pulled his arm back and punched Derrick again.

Derrick held his jaw, “Dude, stop freakin' punching me!”

Benn smirked. A few moments later the smirk went away then came a few moments of silence, “I thought about Jay last night... when the woman who calls herself mom went to,” Benn faked a cough, “‘work’... she used The NICKNAME.” It sounded like acid dripped off his voice, “I felt so dirty...”

My eyes widened. Whoa! I thought it was kind of strange how their conversation went from one thing to something almost completely different. I tightened my shaking hands against my mouth. No sounds were allowed out. It couldn’t happen no matter how weird, or how dirty, the conversation was. If I was caught I’d be in serious trouble with the two.

“That bitch! Come on, my dad will take you to the concert tomorrow, cheer up. I'm not going to go though,” Derrick responded.

Nothing more was said as the two walked off. Neither of them looked in my direction. Who on Earth was Jay? And what exactly was that nickname thing? Wow, I’d never even heard Derrick talk like that. He seemed perfectly together to me, but apparently he walked his talk well.

After the sounds of their footsteps disappeared, I got up and ran as fast as I could to the front entrance of the forest. Once I spotted the parking lot, I slowed down. I caught my breath and walked collectively to my car, but on the inside I panicked because of the overheard conversation. I mean, I didn’t want to bring it up and give him something to be mad about... I didn’t know what to do, but I was going to figure it out by myself, one way or the other.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you readers! Please let me know how the story is going (: