A Goalkeeper Can Catch Anything...Even Love

Thighs, Thighs, and A Lot More Thighs

*Ivy POV*

Sarah and I had been in Durban for five days now and the hotel the Swiss team was staying at was very nice although not as great the ones a team like Italy, Germany, and Spain were staying at. The Spanish team was, in fact, in the hotel across from us called the Grand Hotel. As i’s name suggested it was a beautiful white skyscraper in which I could only dream of how luxurious it was inside. Our little hotel was humble yet very comfortable. The Swiss team had been given the entire top floor where the players, coaches, and everyone else working for the team was. My father who had been thrilled to see me as well as welcoming to Sarah, had given us a two bed suite next to his.

Most mornings while the team was practicing Sarah and I would wonder around the town, sometimes shopping and just getting in the experience of being in South Africa. At night we gathered with the team and had a supper downstairs in a private hall. The guys were great, all super sweet and hilarious. I was closest with Alexander Frei since I knew him from my dad coaching FC Basel but I had struck up a pretty close friendship with Philippe Senderos. Apart from being very funny and approachable I think I felt a sort of kinship with him because we both had good friends on the Spanish team -- although what I had with Iker wasn’t exactly called a friendship. It was well know that Philippe was good friends with Cesc Fabregas and despite the coming match they were still talking to each other.

My father wasn’t too happy about this but allowed it as long as they didn’t talk strategy and football. I thought it would be hard for them not to talk football since they were footballers and football was there life. Sarah was in heaven with so many males around her. She was half in love with all the squad especially Hakan Yakin who she thought was fascinating to look at because of his Turkish background. I left her to it since I had another footballer on my mind.

I couldn’t get Iker out of my mind. Or that kiss.

I would find myself remembering the imprint of his lips on mine at odd moments in the day and blush. Once it had happened when I was around my father which had been very embarrassing as I had stuttered to make an excuse when he had noticed the flush in my cheeks. I was like a kid in high school wondering if he liked me as much as I liked him. I didn’t have to worry because on my second day at the hotel I had received a note. I had opened my door to a young man that worked at the hotel. He had passed me a note and told me that he had been instructed to wait until I read it. Curious I had ripped open the envelope.

Hello cariño,

I have given you a day to cool down from our exciting date but I can’t stand not seeing you any longer. Meet me tonight halfway between our hotels. I will be waiting.

-- I.C.

P.S. Hope you like my gift.

I had looked up confused to be presented with an apple by the boy. Attached to it was a note with the words 'just in case you’ve forgotten what I smell like' written on it. I had laughed and thanked the boy. I had met him as he had asked. We only had an hour but we made it count, talking about everything. We had separated before either of the coaches knew we had been gone and the next day I had once again been delivered an apple and note. They continued coming and I meet Iker everyday. I felt bad going behind my dad’s back but I really like Iker and felt so comfortable with him. Usually it took me a long time to warm up to people. I was shy with those I wasn’t close to but as soon as I was at ease around a person I was crazy and bold. With Iker I felt I could be myself and he would understand. Everyday with him made me less tongue-tied and I enjoyed our conversations so much that I looked forward to them. Iker hadn’t tried to kiss me since the night of the World Cup Concert and we hadn’t talked about it but the knowledge was like a firecracker between us. I could tell he wanted to kiss me again and I wanted it as well but he was too much of a gentleman to go so fast.

It was seven in the morning when a knock echoed through the silent, dark room. I was already up and dressed being an early riser and was reading in a corner with a flashlight so I wouldn’t disturb Sarah as she slept. I was up and rushing to the door in no time.

“If that’s another damn apple I’m going to kill someone,” came Sarah’s half awoken grumble from the bed as she flipped onto her stomach. I smiled and open the door but it wasn’t who I had anticipated.

“Dad.”

“Hey honey,” he said speaking in French, his native language and one I knew as well. “Thought you might want to come watch us practice.”
“Let me ask Sarah,” I replied switching to English I called out to her. “Want to go watch the team practice?’
“Hot men running around…I’m in.” Sarah was already out of bed before I told my dad to give us a few seconds and that we would meet him downstairs.

*Iker POV*

“Is there a reason why you have suddenly developed a taste for apples?” asked David. We were hanging out in our room along with Sergio, Xavi, Fernando, and Cesc after an early practice. Families, wives, and girlfriends of the players were mostly out so that was why there was a small congregation of bored players in David and I’s room.

“What are you talking about?” I asked absently, trying to score against Sergio on the screen was we played football of the xbox 360. Fernando was naturally cheering on his best friend Sergio while Xavi kept screaming tactics in my ear every few seconds. Cesc was on the phone blabbering away in French to his friend Philippe.

“Cesc stop that yapping to your boyfriend,” Sergio yelled as his virtual player was neatly tackled by mine. “I can’t concentrate!” Cesc gave him the finger and went back to his conversation.

“The apples, why are you buying them and then hording them like they’re made of gold?” David repeated.

“You know you’re a traitor for talking to your boyfriend,” Sergio said more to tease Cesc than anything as he gave up the controls to David as my man scored and ended the game.

“I am two seconds away from breaking your leg,” Cesc growled.

Fernando broke into the conversation, “What should I buy Nora for her first birthday?”

“You can’t break my leg! I need it for the game and you know coach would kill you,” Sergio taunted Cesc. “Now I know it’s hard to say au revoir to your hunk but you have to.” Cesc hung up the phone and it was war between Sergio and him as they ran around the room.

“Maybe a--”

“You’re dead!” yelled Cesc, nearly catching Sergio by the shirt.

“--doll. Girls like that right?” Xavi responded to Fernando.

“Iker are you listening?” David said annoyed.

“What do you think I should get her Iker?” Fernando asked my opinion.

I threw down the controls, “I don’t know what I’m suppose to answer to! There are too many things going on!” The door suddenly opened and everyone feel silent as the coach entered.

“Keep it down,” Del Bosque said giving each man a hard look. “I’m trying to work.”

“Yes sir,” we all said at once. Del Bosque’s eyes fell on Cesc and Sergio. Cesc had Sergio in a loose headlock. “Don’t hurt each other, I need you both fit although god knows Sergio has a flapping tongue and probably deserves what you’re doing.” Cesc grinned as he let go of his hold on Sergio.

“I feel a bit hurt coach.” Sergio gave the coach his best wounded look. “I though we were family.”

“We are,” Del Bosque replied and then gave one of his rare grins. “But in your case we’re distant cousins.” Everyone laughed at Sergio’s expense as the coach left the room.

“Yeah, yeah. Calm down you hyenas,” Sergio grumbled. Everyone settle down and went back to the millions of conversation as before until David once again inquired about the apples.

“I’ve been wondering about that too,” Fernando said looking at me.

“Is it some new diet or something?” asked Sergio.

“Are you saying he needs to diet?” Cesc argued.

“No just--.”

“I think you are--.”

“Okay ladies,” Xavi interrupted. “We’re not women who freak out over their weight so get back on track.”

“Explain the apples,” David insisted.

“They’re my business.” I wasn’t about to admit to my team that I was sending secret letters into enemy camp and flirting with Ivy Schmitz.

“I bet there’s a girl involved!” Sergio said gleefully. “You have been very cheerful these past few days.”

“What’s her name?” Fernando asked.

“And how do the apples fit into all this?” came David’s very curious question.

“David you’re kind of sounding obsessed by the apples,” Sergio laughed as he went back to the controls and engaged Fernando in a match.

“Shut up.”

“I think I’m going to go take a walk,” I said getting my coat and hurrying out the door before more questions could come out. I sighed in relief as I took the elevator down to the lobby.

My friends were coming suspicious of me but it was very hard not to tell them. Every moment with Ivy made me more interested in her. Usually I would figure out a woman in a few minutes with her but Ivy continued to astonish me. She could be talking seriously about her job one second and then tell a story that had the two of us laughing the next. She was so refreshing from all the other women I had dated in the past. Ivy had her leaves tightly wrapped around me and they looked to be headed for my heart next.

Strangely that didn’t bother me at all. The prospect of having an actual commitment with Ivy was something I craved. Some primal part of me wanted to tell the world that she was mine and mine alone. Of course there was the problem of only having known each other for about a week. Was it normal to feel so confident that a person was meant to be with you after that short amount of time? Well I would have to try to take it slow even if I wanted to kiss her every time I saw her.

The kiss at the World Cup concert at been impulsive, I hadn’t meant for things to go that fast but neither did I regret it. Now all I could think about was that kiss and her powerful response to it. I knew that whatever I was feeling she had them as well yet we were going to try to take things slow.

When I made my way across the lobby to the bar lights flashed from the entrance of the hotel. I looked up to find the press by the dozens pressed against the window trying to get a picture of whichever footballer happen to be there as the security of the hotel held them back. It wasn’t the chance to be photographed that had me stop in the middle of the hall but what I saw behind all them.

The Swiss football team was leaving their hotel…and Ivy was with them. Some of the press left their post in front of our hotel to catch a few shots of the players and I watched as Ivy ignored them and continued her conversation with one of the Swiss men. I frowned as I watched the young Philippe Sanderos help her up into the bus and felt possessiveness over her rush into my blood. Did she find him handsome? Why was she smiling at him? Does Ivy want him and not me? Listen to yourself, I thought. You sound like a damn caveman.

Walking back the way I had come I went to the main desk, “Is there any chance that I could rent a car?”

*Ivy POV*

“I officially love shorts,” Sarah said dreamily.

“Why’s that?” I asked as I copied some tactic notes that my father wanted to hand to each of the players to study tonight and discuss tomorrow. I had done it many times for him in the past and loved being included in the team in a small way.

“Hello!” she waved her hand in front of me forcing me to look up. She spread her arms out wide like she had just discovered a new country. “Look at the way they show of the tight male legs and thighs.” I guess her country was that of Hot Thighsland. “I never thought I would like a male body part more than an ass but I have found it!”

Grinning I went back to my work, “I’m thrilled for you.”

“Do you not care just because you’re thinking of a certain Spanish pair of thighs?”

“Shhh!” I glance around to make sure no one had heard. “Are you crazy!? There are people from the press around.”

“Don’t have a fit they’re on the other side of the field,” she waved her hands dismissively.

“I would rather not talk about thighs.” I tired to go back to what I had been writing but all of a sudden had a mental image of Iker’s strong legs extended on the plane. He sure had nice thighs.

“I saw that look you dirty bird!” cried Sarah gleefully. “Tell me about his thighs!”

“I’m going to make sure the bus is ready--.”

“Were they at any point in time tangled with yours?”

“--I’ll see you out there.” I quickly made my way past the photographers that were more interested in the players than me although I did have a few flashes aimed my way. I knew my dad would soon be done since he was on his cooling stretches. I had rounded the corner of the practice field away from all eyes and flanked on one side by a rare patch of tall trees when I felt hands hook around my middle and pull me into the foliage. Before I could scream or s.i.n.g like Sandra Bullock in Miss Congeniality I was turned around to come face to face with Iker.

My mouth dropped open in bewilderment, “What are you doing here!?” I didn’t wait for his answer but pressed on. “Are you insane?! There’s press and my dad only a few feet away…” I feel silent as Iker tugged me close and the unique smell of him washed over me: freshly cut grass on a football field, sandalwood, and apples as I rejoiced in him finally touching me. He then did something that had my toes curling in my shoes. He didn’t touch my skin with his mouth like I desperately wanted him to but instead ran the tip of his nose slowly from right below my ear down my jaw line and lower still. I threw my head back to give him more access as he continued his strange yet erotic caress down my neck as I felt every breath that left his body dance across my hypersensitive skin. Iker ended his torment by pressing his lips every so flittingly and lightly on the juncture between my neck and shoulder that I almost thought I imagined it. I moaned in frustration as he pulled back and put a little distance between us. My eyes meet his and I saw from his dilated pupils that he wasn’t as unaffected as me. “You’re still crazy,” I said breathlessly.

“Had to see you,” Iker responded a little hoarsely. I smiled at his tone as I reveled in the feminine power I had over him. “Don’t look so smug with yourself.” Iker added when he caught my smile.

“Sorry. I’ll behave now if you do.”

“Guess I can try.”

“The great Iker Casillas, not so confident with himself now.”

“Never where you’re concerned Ivy.” Embolden by his comment I reached up and put my hands around his neck, letting my hand run softly along the skin exposed above his green shirt. Before I could reply my dad’s voice broke into our moment as he called out my name.

I jerked back from Iker’s arms quickly and called back, “j’arrive!” Turning back to Iker I gave him a longing look. “I have to go.” When I made to rush from our hiding spot he caught my hand.

“Meet me tonight for dinner.”

I blinked, “Like a date?”

Iker smirked, “Si, a date.” I smiled in answer and went back to the bus.

*Iker POV*

It was a good thing that it started to rain as soon as I returned from my impromptu errand to see Ivy. By the time I had shaved, groomed, dressed in my black pants and shirt the press had been forced to leave because of the lightning. Getting into the rented car from this afternoon I drove to the front of Ivy’s hotel, having gotten David, who was staying in to be with his wife and kids to cover for me incase the coach came in to check on us and I wasn’t back by curfew at eleven. Most of the younger guys were going out to the club tonight to relive the stress of the match the day after tomorrow because the next day was going to be a practice at dawn followed by a lot of talking and then an early sleep so tonight they were blowing off steam.

No one was around to see me so I had thankfully taken off the beanie hat I had been wearing a lot with all my sneaking around. I spotted Ivy as she came out of the building and felt my chest tighten.

“¡Dios mio!” I said out loud. Ivy looked stunning. Her brown hair was slicked back in a tight pony tail with a bang tucked behind her right ear. I wasn’t quite sure what she had done with her make up but it made her eyes pop and her lips welcoming. She was wearing a sleeveless, golden dress that fit her like a second skin and matching heels that made her appear like a goddess. Ivy opened the passenger side and slipped into the seat.

“Hello,” she said softly. She was biting her bottom lip which was a sure sign that she was nervous about how she looked.

I smiled in reassurance, “You look beautiful Ivy.”

“You look beautiful as well. I can see your hair for once.” She finished that sentence by running her fingers lightly through my hair.

“A man isn’t beautiful,” I complained to keep from the urge to rub against her hand like a damn cat. I eased my head from Ivy and then the car from the hotel.

“Just be happy I paid you a complement,” Ivy teased crossing her legs as she tried to cover herself as best as possible with what little fabric the dress had. It wasn’t the smartest move from her part since my eyes went straight to them. My mouth went dry when I spotted a small round birthmark on her inner right thigh. My eyes stayed rooted to the spot for a second longer than appropriate and safe while my finger itched on the steering wheel to trace it and then kiss it. I managed to tear my gaze up and not run over anything.

“The dress is too short.” Ivy had seen were I had been looking and was trying to once again cover her legs but it stayed at the middle of her thigh.

“No…” I croaked and had to stop to clear my throat. “It’s nice.”

“It’s Sarah’s and she made me wear it because I have nothing else,” Ivy explained as she mercifully uncrossed her legs and that damn spot was hidden. “Shouldn’t have listened to her because she’s at least two inches shorter than me and now my t-thighs are bare.” She had said the word ‘thighs’ like there had been a lot of stress on it somewhere.

“Well I for one love your thighs.” I said as much to make her feel better as see her blush.

Ivy did neither as she absently replied, “I like yours too. Football players have nice ones…” She trailed off as she realized what she had said and flushed deeply. “I totally didn’t mean that…I mean not that you don’t have…umm--are we there yet?”

I chuckled but let the comment slide for the moment, “Yeah we’re almost there but we’ll have to go in from the back so no one sees us. I made reservations for a private room so that we don’t have to worry about being found together.”

“Aren’t the servers going to recognize us--or you at least?”

“I made sure to ask for a place that isn’t going to talk,” I reassured her as we parked behind a traditional South African restaurant. I got out and moved to help her from the passenger seat.

“This is harder than it looks,” Ivy said as she made sure to keep her legs together while trying to getting out of the car simultaneously.

“I sure wouldn’t be able to do it.” Her laugh made me join her it was so contagious and honest. When she laughed she kept nothing back and let her soul shine across. When she was safely out of the car, I wrapped my arm around her waist.

I bent down to her ear just before opening the doors to the restaurant and whispered, “You can look at thighs all you want…as long as they are mine.” I heard her little gasp as I ushered her inside. We were greeted by a very enthusiastic, kind young man that was going to be our server tonight.

“My name is Nku,” the boy looked to be about eighteen and was staring at me like I was God come to earth. “Please follow me.” We make our way through the kitchens where it was crowded and Ivy had to press herself closer to my side. I tried not to relish in the feeling but couldn’t help it. As long as Ivy was touching me in any way the world was right. Many of the cooks stopped what they were doing and greeted us, even wishing me luck on the game.

“Glad they didn’t recognized me,” Ivy whispered to me as we entered a deserted hallway and Nku chatted amiably about many of the matches that had happened so far.

“Can’t imagine how they could forget anyone as amazing as you,” I told her. We were led into a small room decorated like the wilds of Africa. There was a small waterfall in the room that was tickling down water, plants everywhere, and beautiful shields of the natives hung on the wall that really added to the whole feel of the room. It was set up with one table that had exotic flowers in the middle and a small candle. I pulled out Ivy’s chair for her before sitting down.

“Can I star you off with something to drink?” Nku asked politely as he handed us menus.

Before Ivy could order I jumped in, “I think we should try something knew.”

“Really?” Ivy questioned leaning forward.

“I think we should let Nku choose for us and bring out a good traditional drink and meal.”

She looked up at Nku and flashed him one of those dazzling smiles in which I would have promptly melted if I had been on the receiving end of it. I could tell that Nku was feeling that effect when he swayed a little. “Are you up for it Nku?”

“Yes ma’am,” he said, having difficulty looking back at me. “You won’t regret it.” He rushed out of the room a man on a mission.

“That was unfair of you,” I said leaning back in my chair.

“What?” she asked truly not guessing the effect she really had on men.

“You nearly had to watch me pick up the boy’s eyes, a few more of your smiles his way and they would have fallen out of his sockets.”

“That’s untrue and a really gross picture in my head before I have to eat.”

“Of course it’s true--.” I couldn’t finish because Nku came in with two glasses.

“This is mageu,” he explained while setting down the cups in front of us. “It is a drink made of fermented mealie pap.”

“What’s mealie?” I asked as I sniffed the drink.

“The ear of a corn.” Nku clarified.

“Thank you Nku,” Ivy answered back when I didn’t. Since when do corn’s have ears?

“You welcome ma’am.” Nku was hypnotized by her. Can’t say I blame the kid. I’m older and wiser than him but caught firmly in her web. When he was gone we looked at each other.

“Corn?” we both asked at the same time.

“Think it’s any good?” Ivy wondered holding the cup below her nose.

“One way to find out.” I took one for the team and tasted first. When I didn’t die on the spot or gag I realized that it was really good. A bit surprised I took another swallow and it wasn’t a fluke. “It’s good.” I said as Ivy watched me expectantly.

She took a tentative sip. Her eyes widened and she took a bigger swallow. “You’re right!” We both chuckled at our discovery and swore to each other to have more faith in Nku the next time. We spent the rest of the time talking about our hopes, fears, and dreams.

“Did you always want to be footballer?” she asked curiously.

“Si, I think it’s every kid’s dream in Spain,” I replied. “I of course wanted to score goals, strange to think now I keep them out.”

“I always thought you wanted to be a goalie,” she said taking another swallow of the drink. I couldn’t help wanting to be the cup in that particular situation.

“No way! However, on my childhood team I was the worst at scoring goals so they put me in the net. Haven’t left it since.” We went on to talk about her job, I was curious to learn about her life. “Why delivering babies?”

“You have to be there,” she sighed like she had had to explain this many times. “There is nothing in the world that compares to bring forth a new life. It’s amazing to watch a woman struggle for hours on end and be exhausted in every way but fight to bring her child to the world. It’s amazing watching the father support the mother and almost feel the pain with them. It’s amazing feeling the bundle in your arm and pass it to the loving parents.” I could see the passion in her expression. “It’s a miracle to see that not everything about marriages these days end in divorce.” She looked up at me with a small smile that turned a bit sad. “Of course there are still the young girls and single mothers that come in but you still see the same resolve in them to find happiness for their babies, even if it’s not with them.”

“Meirda, you’re job is way more intense than mine,” I said to ease the tension a bit.

“It’s debatable,” she grinned. “You have to take into account the crazy paparazzi.”

“Oh yeah. Never mind, my job is more intense.” Nku came in followed by quite a few people that lay dish upon dish on the table. Delicious smells wafted inside the room. Nku explained all the dishes to us from seafood platters to tangy sauces. When Ivy took a bite of the vetkoek, dough stuffed with meat, she complemented Nku so much on his choice that I swore he sprouted feathers like a peacock at her praise.

I chuckled into my food as they left. We finished our meal after another hour filled with new favorite foods and long discussions. I paid and led her outside.

“Thanks for pay—oh my god!” Ivy squealed and leaped into my arms. Startled I wrapped my arm around her middle and reflexively turned around to put myself between the danger. “Snake!” Ivy cried not giving me a chance to ask what’s wrong. I looked down and sure enough there was a tiny harmless snake on the sidewalk.

“How can you be afraid of snakes when there aren’t really any in Chicago?” I asked to keep her busy as we walked quickly by.

“I went camping once in the southern half of Illinois with my parent before the divorce and I was sleeping in a tent by myself. When I woke up the next day I found that I had put my tent on top of their nest and in retaliation a whole bunch of them had slithered into my tent in the night.” We came to a stop by our car but instead of letting me go she laid her head against my chest. I wrapped my arms around her trembling body but said nothing as she continued her tale. “Naturally I screamed for my dad. It took ten minutes to get them all out of my tent and my dad made me stay still incase one was poisonous. None were but needless to say I never went camping again.”

“You do know you’re bigger than them?” I asked softly letting my chin rest on the top of her head as I ran my hands down her back soothingly.

“But not more flexible,” she argued as I chuckled. “You’re mean! Laughing at my expense!” Ivy didn’t sound so hurt but was laughing with me. “I guess it is a bit ridiculous.”

“It’s not ridiculous. Everyone is entitled to their fears just as long as it doesn’t consume them. Take me, I’m deadly afraid of jellyfish but still go swimming.” I confessed.

“Jellyfish?” she sounded muffled from where her head was against my chest.

“They’re terrifying!” I insisted making fun of myself. “All those tentacles trying to sting you.” She chuckled and moved out of the circle of my arms. “We better getting going, we wouldn’t want the killer snake to follow you.” Ivy jumped into the car and I laughed.

We reached her hotel with ten minutes to spare before curfew.

“Thanks for tonight,” she said looking as beautiful in the dark as she did in the light. “I had a lot of fun.”

“Me too.” I said. “I’m glad you’ll have that to remind you of me tomorrow.”

“We aren’t going to meet?”

“No, I won’t be able to get free time with all the preparation for our first game.”

“You’re right. I shouldn’t distract you,” Ivy said. “But just for tonight…” She finished by placing her lips on mine for a tender kiss. It lasted for what seemed like hours, one kiss ended and another began. “You have to go,” Ivy persisted, being the responsible one and pulling away. She climbed out of the car. When she was halfway to the door I rolled down the window and called out.

“You better be cheering for me at the match.”

All she did was wave.

*Ivy POV*

I woke early the day of the match between Switzerland and Spain. I was anxious to see Iker after a boring day without with yesterday but also wishing it wasn’t like this. By the end of the day one of us would be the winner and one would be the loser—unless by some miracle it was a tie. It was really hard deciding who I should cheer for and what I wanted to happen today. A victory against the favored Spaniard would boast the team’s confidence, my dad’s fame, and prove that we weren’t as weak as some thought us. But I wanted Spain to win because Iker was on the team. He was so dedicated to his team and such a great goalie that I didn’t want Switzerland to score against them. This is confusing, I thought to myself. I decided that I was just going to have to cheer for both of them at the same time and hope for the best.

Before I quite knew what was happening, I was dressed and in the tunnel of the stadium. I was wearing the sweatshirt that the other Swiss players had on to represent my nation, jeans, and red pumps. My hair was loose and a flag was painted my cheek. I was standing next to Philippe and Hakan as they waited for the Spanish team to come out. Sarah was already sitting in our seats but I had gone with my dad and the team into the tunnels to be there with them. I knew they were nervous so I gave them a huge smile and wished them all luck. My dad came to stand next to me.

I stood on tip toes and kissed his cheek, “Bonne chance, Dad.”

“Thanks,” he said, distracted when a training coach started speaking to him. That was when the Spanish team decided to arrive, setting my heart beating a million miles an hour. I couldn’t help glancing sideways at them as I watched then file past me. I watched David Villa, Sergio Ramos, and Xabi Alonso and couldn’t help letting my gaze fall to their muscular thighs. Sarah is right, I though grudgingly. Better than asses.

I felt a pair of eyes at my back and my skin start to tingle but knew a glance would blow our cover. Iker made sure to pass right by me and before continuing on he quickly lowered his head and whispered, “I told you only look at mine.” I flushed in guilt that I had been caught and looked up. He continued on confidently to the front of the line but not before raising his shorts up on my side to give me a tantalizing view of his thighs and tapped them with his finger to make sure I only had eyes for him.

Which I did. No way was I looking away from those powerful muscles.

“I have to go honey,” my dad said, I snapped my head up and nodded. He gave me a kiss on the head before moving to check on some last minute things. I chatted another few minutes with the guys, seeing that they need to talk or go crazy with waiting until I felt that tell tale excitement vibrate through my body and knew that Iker was approaching me. I found him walking down talking to his teammates but he glanced at me and those intense brown eyes said he wanted to talk to me. I waited till he got closer keeping my body tilted to the conversation between the Swiss players but my head turned to the side when Iker spoke.

“What happened to you supporting me?” he whispered so as not to be overheard. I flushed but made sure the guys weren’t paying attention. I took a quick glance over my shoulder to find Iker waiting expectantly. I ignored him and pretended to drop my bag, making sure to bend over so that my sweatshirt lifted up a good two inches.

Iker’s reaction was instant. He groaned and then swore colorfully in Spanish. I had to bite my lips to keep from laughing. This morning when I had decided that I was going to support both teams I had made Sarah, who loved to draw and was talented at it paint on my back a Spanish flag and write ‘go Iker’. I was glad I had done it. I straightened myself and cautiously looked over at Iker. He was a few people down like he had needed to get way from the temptation that I had presented and talking to his friends that were most likely wondering what had caused him to swear so impressively. When he quickly looked at me I saw that his eyes had gone black, a sure sign that he was definitely affected. I smirked but when I looked back I saw that Philippe had a frown on his face as he studied me. I didn’t meet his eyes and mumbled about going to take my seat. Giving each of the Swiss players another hug and wishes of good luck I silently added one for Iker and went to find my seat.

“So you’re going to have to explain this whole soccer thing to me?” Sarah said as I sat down next to her. Like me she was decked out in Swiss support but had gone over the top with a hat that had the Swiss flag and painted half her face with the flag. She had even made a sign which she was waving in the air. We were seated by the tunnel and so close that we could see the faces of the player clearly as they filed passed us in to orderly lines.

“I will after the anthems,” I promised. We stood for both of the songs and then after a few minutes of getting everything ready the game kicked off. I tried my best to give all the details to my friend while watching.

“Wait what’s happening?” Sarah asked confused.

“Spain is getting a free kick because of a bad tackle,” I said distractedly. I was on edge for Switzerland, the Spanish were striking fast and hard. Diego, the goalkeeper was having a hell of a time denying David Villa and every other Spanish player. Iker on the other hand hadn’t seen much action. I was happy that Switzerland was having luck closing down the attacks but also worried for the Spanish because I knew my dad had trained the Swiss hard this week on taking the counterattacks to their advantage. The whistle for half time blew in no time.

“What’s that?” Sarah asked. It was her question of the day.

“Half time.”

“This is so confusing!” she grumbled.

“American football is confusing, this is straightforward,” I replied. I passed half time trying to explain again all that had happened the first half and the rules. The player came back on the field and my gaze went straight to Iker. Something was wrong. I could feel it in my bones that there was a weight on his shoulders now and wondered if something had happened during half time. He looked up but couldn’t spot me yet I caught a glimpse of his eyes and a tiredness was there that hadn’t been before.

“Something’s wrong,” I mused out loud as I kept my eye fixed on Iker as he took his place by the goal.

“How do you know?” Sarah followed my gaze to Iker.

My gut was telling me, “I just do.”

The whistle signaled the second half. Unlike the first half it went fast, each team knowing a bit of how the other played and reenergized by their coaches’ speeches. The Spanish had again been denied a goal by the fiftieth minute of play and it was a goal kick. Diego kicked it long and somehow managed to land on a Swiss player who linked with Gelson Fernandes. They charged into the penalty area as Iker came out to try to stop the ball. Before I could blink my eyes a Spanish and Swiss player were down and the ball was in the back of the net. I leaped to my feet and cheered along with all the Swiss supporters for our nation. I couldn’t help but feel my heart break for Iker as I saw his disgusted face on the screen.

The rest of the game was just near misses. At the seventieth minute Xabi Alonso made a powerful kick but was denied by the crossbar and then four minutes later the post defeated the Swiss player Derdiyok. The suspense ended after five minutes of extra time. The Swiss fans roared and cheered as the players soaked in the moment. Not many had believed in them and they had just proven that they were a force to be reckoned with. My heart was in two, it was a bittersweet victory for me. I saw Iker go up to my dad and shake his hands and I felt pride swell in my chest, I knew it took a lot for him to do it. He disappeared into the tunnels looking very mad at himself, worried, and distracted all in one.

Still concerned for him I made my way to celebrate with my dad.

*Iker POV*

“It’s not your fault man,” David said for the hundredth time. “Shit happens.”

“I should of told coach to take me out after I heard about my dad,” I said in frustration. We were now back at the hotel after our humiliating defeat and we could hear the paparazzi outside going insane.

“You know he couldn’t, for other guys yeah but a goalie we need the best and you’re it.”

I ignored his comment and watched my phone hoping that my mom would call. I had gotten an important call from my mom during half time. My father had relapsed after being let out of the hospital and had been brought back to the hospital. I was so worried and desperate for news. I knew my mother hadn’t wanted to call me in the middle of my first match but I had needed to know and was glad she had. “Bet the press is having a field day,” I said running my hand threw my hair absently.

“Knowing them they twist everything around--.” David was cut of by my phone vibrating.

I pounced on it, “Mom?” It was her. The conversation was short and joyous; my father was fine after undergoing surgery and resting. As my mother put it he was yelling at the TV as he watched my performance and was going to have a few words with me the next time we talked. My mom sounded exhausted so I let her go. “Good news, he’s alright.”

“Good to hear,” David clapped me on the shoulder as he stood. “I think I’ll leave you to think and visit my family. Don’t wait up because I’m going to sleep with my wife tonight.”

I nodded and contemplated the defeat of today alone. I knew that I had screwed up and I was feeling the guilt of it now. I had let down my team even if they weren’t blaming me. I resolved myself to work hard and the next time not to let the outside world impact what was happening with the game. There was a knock on the door, assuming it was room service with my food I answered it. I frowned when I opened the door to reveal a small, hooded figure. I didn’t get a word out before the person just entered my room. As they passed me I caught a whiff of vanilla and knew that it was Ivy.

“What are you doing here?” I closed the door after having a glance around to make sure that no one had seen her.

Ivy pushed her hood off, “I had to see you.” She looked down nervously at her clasped hands. “I know that I am probably the last person you want to see right now and may never again--.”

“I always want to see you,” I jumped in. “Especially now.” It was strange to think that I wasn’t lying; I really wanted her here at that moment. Her presence soothed me and made every problem appear workable. Even if she wasn’t suppose to be the person I would find comfort in at this time I wanted her.

Ivy smiled in relief, “I was so worried about you. After the first half I knew something had happened as soon as you walked out on the field.” I was touched and surprised that she could guess that about me in just the short time that we had been together.

“It’s fine now,” I responded not really wanting to discuss my family and troubles. Ivy looked closely in my eyes to make sure I was telling the truth and whatever she saw made her believe my words. She reached out to me and hugged me tightly, offering a shoulder to lean on anyway.

“If you need to talk about it I’m here.” I couldn’t stop my arms from encircling her. We stood like that for a few minutes, enjoying each others strength.

I pulled back first, “How did you get past security?”

“It wasn’t easy let me tell you. They were blocking all the enter points so I had to go downstairs and hide under a cart that brought all the food to the guest. When we were on your floor I executed a very James Bond move and sneaked away while the hotel worker was delivering food and here I am.”

“You went to very desperate lengths Ms Bond,” I teased. “How did you really get in?”

Ivy grinned as she sat on my bed, “I got into the hotel by making it looked like a worked at mine and we needed ice for the Swiss players. When I was in I just went up the stairs and since the security guys were playing poker I slipped past them. You have got to hire better help.” I laughed, feeling grateful that she had come to see me despite all the risk and I was sure we was missing out on a huge party. That she wanted to be here with me made my heart beat faster. “Come lie down,” Ivy said patting the space beside her. “You look tired.” She didn’t have to tell me twice.

“It’s not every day I get my ass beat by the Swiss, whom I always thought were neutral.” I stretched out on my back with my hands behind my back. “I need to write to those history books about the lies they write.” I heard her soft chuckle and then her face came into view, hovering above me.

“Turn over,” she commanded, I gave her a look at her tone. “Just do it.” I flipped onto my stomach and cushioned my chin on my arm. Ivy began massaging the tension out of my shoulders and I had to groan at the feeling of her hands on me. They moved skillfully across my limp body, easing away the burdens that I would have carried from the game away. Her fingers dug soothingly into my arms and I was glad to hear her little breathless gasp as she encountered hard muscle. I hadn’t really cared what people thought of the way I looked but suddenly it pleased me greatly that Ivy appreciated my body.

“You’ll kick ass next time,” Ivy said as her fingers came to rest on my cheek. I tugged her down beside me, turning her over so that she spooned me. Her head rested against one of my arms while the other was laid over her waist and clutched in her hands.

“Don’t fall asleep,” I warned.

“You either.” We didn’t follow our own advice. It was just to tempting to go to sleep and it felt right to have Ivy in my arms when I did.

*Ivy POV*

A “What the hell?” broke into the depths of my sleep as my eyes snapped open. I had to get me bearing fast and remembered that I was in Iker’s room…and it was six in the morning! I jolted upright and felt Iker do the same beside me. I put a hand to my hair and knew that it was a mess but that wasn’t what had David Villa’s mouth open in shock. But he was the least of my problems if my dad found out I was missing.

“Oh my god, I have to go,” I cried getting out of bed and frantically searching for my sweatshirt. The two boys started a huge conversation in Spanish—which I didn’t welcome being left out of—as I found what I was looking for. Finally they reached a sort of agreement because they both looked over at me.

“Hi, I’m sorry this is terrible awkward but I’m Ivy,” I said holding out my hand, pretty sure that David knew English.

“I know who you are and am confused,” David replied yet still taking my hand.

“Welcome to the club,” was Iker’s sarcastic answer.

“I really have to go,” I repeated.

“Of course.” Iker snapped to attention. He opened the door and when no one was there he gestured for me to come. I gave David a smile and Iker a soft kiss before rushing out of the hotel as fast as I could.

I didn’t relish being Iker when he tried to explain our situation to David.