A Goalkeeper Can Catch Anything...Even Love

Heartbeats

*Iker POV*

“Let me get this straight.” David leaned back in his seat on the bus pinning me with a hard stare. “You, Iker Casillas, who should be pissed as hell that the Swiss beat us two days ago are in fact secretly in love with the daughter of the coach that masterminded our defeat.” He raised his eyebrow like you couldn’t make this up. We were sitting in the back of the bus away from all the others so that we could talk without being overheard. David had wanted to talk about the day he had found Ivy in my room but had been delayed. Del Bosque, furious over our loss had worked us overtime and within an inch of our life during an extra practice. Daid had finally cornered me as we had boarded the bus to go to Johannesburg for our next match against Honduras and been adamant about talking.

Having no choice I had agreed and told him everything. It felt good confessing my feelings about Ivy to someone else; it had been tortuous keeping it all in. Now I had someone that could advise me on my predicament. Of course when David looked at me speechlessly it wasn’t a good sign.

“I am,” I confirmed.

“But she’s the enemy!” David said a little loudly, causing a few players to look back at us. Sergio especially looked a little too curious which was never a good thing. “Sorry, it’s the girl in my book. She’s a traitor,” David lied holding up the book he had in his lap. Most shook their heads and went back to what they were doing but Sergio made his way back and sat next to me.

“Spill,” he looked at the both of us with the expression that there was no way he was going to be excluded from this conversation.

Knowing there was no other choice I asked, “Can you keep your mouth shut?”

“This is me we’re talking about.” Sergio put a hand over his heart like to question his honor was the worst thing I could do.

“Yes I know that’s why I’m asking.”

Sergio must have seen that this was serious because he replied honestly, “I might tell Fernando.”

“Okay.” Fernando would know to keep his mouth shut. “I’m in love with Ivy Schmitz.”

“Wow, one minute! It’s not love,” David added just as Sergio’s mouth dropped.

“It is.” I said running a hand through my hair as the truth of my statement hit me. I was in love with Ivy. She was all I could think about, I wanted to be near her every moment of every second. I thought first it was more of a crush but I wanted to be there even when things weren’t exciting. Yesterday, before we had each separated to go to our different destinations for the next match we had decided to meet. I had sneaked into her hotel and we had just watched a TV. There was nothing thrilling about that moment, we hadn’t even touched but just knowing that she was near me had relaxed me. There was a peacefulness when I was in her presence like it was okay to say nothing because she knew what I was feeling too. I could be Iker the man with her, not the famous goalie.

I wanted to be there to see her through everything: her triumphs, successes, and even the bad. I wanted to be the one to put a smile on her face when she was sad. I wanted to share the joys of my life with her as well as the troubles. I knew that we could each support the other, I had seen it the day that she had come to comfort me when Spain had lost. Ivy was a strong woman that could deal with the crazy life of a footballer and still retain her spirit. She had, after all, managed it with her dad.

“You’ve only known her for two weeks tops!” David controlled his voice enough that it didn’t travel but I knew it had been hard for him.

“It doesn’t matter. It doesn’t change the feelings I have for her.” Sergio was still staring at the both of us like a fish, unable to get past his initial shock.

“Listen Iker. I’m going to tell you this because I’m your friend.” David looked at me with pity, anger, shock, and like I was a little child in need of guidance. “You know nothing about her. You don’t know how she’ll react to the life you live, you don’t know if she would be willing to move to Madrid to be with you because you sure as hell can’t move to Chicago. You have no idea if she wants kids or to get married like you want, you’re values could be completely different. Iker, you’ve never even gotten into a fight with her!” He was so animated that he was using his hands to get his point across. “She could hightail out of your life so fast and I don’t want to see you hurt. It’s just not possible to know if you can love and possibly spend the rest of your life with a person after such two weeks together.”

I didn’t know how to make him understand. I knew he was right and that it was ridiculous to say you loved a person after such a short amount of time but I just knew in my gut. It was so strong that it was practically screaming in my ear for me to just take a chance. What was time really? It was just seconds, minutes, and hours but it was the instances in that time that really mattered. Had everyone forgotten this fact? In those same moments with Ivy I had learned everything that I needed to now. Ivy was a woman that was fiercely loyal to what she cared about: country, family, team, friends, and her patients. She would fight her hardest and then give even more for those she cared about. Ivy loved with an abandonment that was amazing. When she talked about her job or her parents it was there in her eyes. She was kind to all those she meet and left them light of heart. Ivy was intelligent, caring, and had quirks that made me laugh and love her all the more. I knew her and yet she surprised me everyday with new things to love. All the other details could be arranged later if we truly were committed to making it work. I for one was.

People could know each other for years and still end up divorced, why was it so strange to know that Ivy and I would never be those people in just a few days? I think that it was more the conservative image people had on marriage and love. You could only really call it love if you had been together for months. It was just the image most people had of love, it couldn’t last if you said you loved a person within days of knowing them. If you did then they called you liar, unorthodox, and fool.

“What did you think of the first time you dribbled a football?” I asked, wanting to try to explain it to him.

“What has it got to do--?”

“Just answer please.”

David sighed, “That this was what I was meant to do.”

“And you were how old?”

“Six.”

“Overconfidence or just gut instinct?” I said rhetorically before firing another question. “What about the first time you saw Patricia? Did you know she was the one?”

“Yes,” he replied grudgingly. “But we dated for--.”

“When did you know?” I help up my hand to stop him.

“The first date.”

“Last question, when you held Zaida in your arms for the first time what was going through your mind?”

“That I loved her and would protect her from everything.”

“Fatherly instinct came through not your brain and thoughts, that’s how it should feel with people and things you love.” David looked at me in a new light, shocked that it actually made a tiny bit of sense.

“As in, in love with the chick whose Dad is the coach of Switzerland and just beat our ass?” Sergio had finally awoken from his surprise and been able to form words.

“Yes.” They were making way too big of a deal of this. Ivy’s a woman, I’m a man, things happen.

“B-but she’s the enemy,” Sergio said lamely. I could tell he hadn’t quite wrapped his head around the idea.

“If you really want to be technical she was the enemy for that game, now Chili and Honduras is our enemy,” I pointed out.

Sergio contemplated the idea while David turned back to me, “If this girl is who you want than I’m happy for you and won’t say anything about it.”

“Thank you.” I smiled at my friend knowing that although he wasn’t sold on the idea of Ivy and me he would tolerate it for my sake.

“Is she hot?” Sergio got a cuff on the head by David for his question as I laughed. Leave it to Sergio to have the final judgment come down to attractiveness.

“Ouch! Watch out I’m an injured person,” Sergio complained. He had somehow managed to get his ribs bruised during the game.

“If anyone has to complain it’s Pique not you,” David snapped. We both looked over at the person in question with a cut over his eye. It had been a scary situation when I had gone over to make sure he was alright after Fernandes scored to find that he had lost his memory for a minute and had been dazed. I had told him to get off the pitch but he had ignored me and kept playing. No one was as dedicated as Pique.

“Who the fuck said the Swiss were neutral?” grumbled Sergio.

“That’s what I said.” I chuckled as talk turned to our next match against Honduras.

*Ivy POV*

I was lying across my bed in the hotel room in Port Elizabeth when I came across something that had my heart breaking. I had been checking my email and responding to some questions the students that were learning to enter in my field of study had as well as letters from my mom. She was happy for my father yet worried about me in a strange country with so many boys. She didn’t have to worry since my thoughts were only for one foreign man. I had then googled the headlines curious to see how the world was taking the Swiss defeat of Spain. Wish I hadn’t typed in those words.

The first thing to pop up was an article in Spanish that had Iker pictured as well as that of a woman who looked like a reporter near his goal. Wondering what it could all mean I had translated the page to find that the press was blaming the proximity of a gorgeous reporter named Sara Carbonero on Iker letting a goal in. The reports claimed that she was his GIRLFRIEND of a few months was stationed on the nearside of his goal which had distracted Iker at a crucial moment in the game. My heart stopped and I couldn’t breath as the words sunk in. Iker’s girlfriend…he had a girlfriend. I wanted to burst into tears at that moment, the man that I had just started to love had betrayed me. I covered my mouth with my hand and repeated to myself that life would go on. I did not need a man. I did not need Iker.

I sat up into a sitting position as Sarah opened the door and came in with a huge smile. I tried to look like nothing was wrong.

“Hey, guess what? This hotel has a bar! Can you say party?!” Sarah froze when she saw me. “What’s wrong and no bullshit about it being nothing.” Unable to speak I pushed my laptop towards her and stood. I paced as she read the article and I heard her gasp. She looked up at me with pity and then determination. “This is nothing.”

“How can you call it nothing! Iker has a girlfriend!” I yelled knowing that if I didn’t I would end up crying.

“This is the press, they twist everything around! You can’t believe this.” Sarah shut the laptop as if to stop the ugly truth from spilling out. “I won’t allow you to throw away this wonderful thing you have with Iker for an article.” She took hold of my shoulders to keep me still. “You’re just going to have to ask him if it’s true.”

“Are you insane?! I can’t do that.”

Sarah shook me, “So you don’t care for Iker?”

“How can you say that? You know I do,” I glared at her accusingly.

“Enough to try to work it through?” I looked up into her encouraging eyes and felt hope rekindle. I blinked away the tears and moved away from her.

“You’re right. I’m going to go talk to him,” I went to the door but before I could open it Sarah grabbed my shoulder.

“Honey, we’re in Port Elizabeth and Iker is in Johannesburg,” she reminded me.

“Oh right,” I blushed a little at my mistake. “I guess I’ll have to go to him after the game on Monday.”

“Can’t you just call him?”

“I have to do this in person.”

“Good idea,” Sarah sat at the edge of her bed. “What are we going to tell your dad?”

I sat next to her and I quickly came up with a plan, “We’ll say that we want to go shopping in Johannesburg before meeting with him and the team in Bloemfontein for the last group game. We can stay two days there and actually do some shopping so I won’t really be lying to my dad.”

“Good plan.” Sarah turned the TV on and hummed cheerfully while I tried to pay attention to what was happening. My cell vibrated and I looked over at the caller ID. It was Iker. My fingers itched to answer his call but I knew that he would pick up on my mood if we talked. I hoped to god that the articles were lies but I would have to wait another two days before confronting him. When it stopped I picked it up and text him with the excuse that I couldn’t talk since I was at a team meeting.

Please, I thought. Let Iker be true.

*Iker POV*

Ivy was avoiding me and I had no clue why. I kept trying to call her but then she would text excuses about why she couldn’t answer her phone. I was worried about her and what it meant that she wasn’t communicating with me.

The days before the match against Honduras were boring. None of the players wanted to deal with the press after our shameful loss so none of us watched the sports network or read any newspapers. We concentrated on winning the next match and leaving everything behind. Hard to do when the press didn’t want to shut up about it. Mostly the guys and I hanged out in our rooms if not practicing, playing cards, xbox, and talking about my crush on Ivy. Sergio had spilled to Fernando and then somehow it got to Cesc’s ears. Naturally we couldn’t leave Xavi out so I had to tell him too. The subject seemed never too old to talk about and they asked me so many questions that I finally had enough and told them if they didn’t shut up I was going to let every ball Honduras aim at the goal in.

When the day of the game finally arrived everyone was on edge. We knew that we had to redeem ourselves in not only the eyes of the Spanish at home but also ourselves. Not to mention that if we lost we were out of the competition, which was not even mentionable. After I had exchanged pleasantries with the Honduras captain I jogged to my position in the net. I quickly sent up a prayer that nothing got past my two posts and that we scored a lot of goals. Unwanted at the moment, the wish that Ivy was here cheering me flashed across my mind.

Shaking my head to dispel the notion I blocked all thoughts of the outside world and turned to the game. TI had time enough later to worry about everything that was going wrong in my life. We were cautious the first few times we approached the goal, the team a little less confident than the week before. Then with David’s goal in the seventeenth minute everything changed. It was a spectacular move by David to eliminate the defenders around him and hit the ball into the back of the net. I cheered from my end of the field, roaring to the sky that we were going to get through this. It was as if a light was burned under us and the whole team took courage from the goal. I was called upon to do my small part, denying the striker of the opposite team a few times before half time was called. I clapped David on the back as we entered into the tunnel and went into our locker room.

The pep talk was short and sweet. Have courage. Get goals. Don’t let any goals in. Win. High off our goal in the first half the second started with a bang. Although for Pique I’m sure it started with stars when he got hit where no man should. I winced in sympathy. On the fifty-first minute David double our lead once again with a powerful shot. I smiled; he was having quite a match and would have a big head after this. Just my luck to be rooming with him. Two minutes later while Pique was defending the goal he got a boot in his mouth for his troubles. Spitting out blood he was escorted to the sidelines. Poor guy, I thought. What a World Cup he was having.

Ten minutes later a Honduras player tackled Jesus Navas and earned us a penalty. David went up and kicked it wide. I groaned in frustration but then told myself it wasn’t a big deal, we were still two points up. The rest of the match went on as before, we attacked most of the time with an occasional counter. We did almost get another point when Cesc came on but were foiled by one of the defenders. When the whistle blew full time, I breathed a sigh of relief.

We were still in this.

*Ivy POV*

“This better be worth the money,” mumbled Sarah as we got into our elevator and went up to our third floor room. We had arrived late to Johannesburg after leaving straight for the Swiss match against Chili. I was sad that we had lost to Chili by two goals after our great start to the competition and I was now nervous on who was going to make it out of the group stages. I hoped with all my heart that it was Switzerland and Spain but knew a lot of things had to fall into place for that to happen. I still hoped and prayed. But right now I hoped and prayed that Iker wasn’t taken.

The only way that we could get within an inch of the hotel that the Spanish team was staying at was to be a guest. Sarah and I had made some serious sacrifices with our bank accounts to get a room at the very, very expensive hotel. Two days of staying there was costing us a fortune. We settled into our room and I nervously checked my reflection in the mirror. After two days of horrible sleeping and a long day of travel I didn’t look my best. My eyes had circles under them and they looked a little dull. I was at least able to fix my hair up and wash my face. I gave one more glance at my light jeans and red, long sleeve shirt with matching heels before making my way to the door.

I knew that I was going to have to see Iker tonight, there was no way that I was going to go through another night of sleeplessness when he was so close. I needed the truth now.

“Good luck,” Sarah wished me as I made my way to the staircase. I was going up to the sixth floor which I gathered from all the paparazzi and guests in the lobby was the level Iker would be at. When I got to the door I found a man in front of it. Hiding before he could see me I wondered how I was going to get past him. I held my breath when the door opened from the inside and the security man left the staircase when another of his partners waved him inside. Knowing this was my chance I quickly made my way up the last few steps and cautiously opened the door. The security guys were a few feet away busy with what looked like a fan that had sneaked it.

As I was passing the third door I realized that I had no clue which room was Iker’s. You really should have thought this through more, I chided myself. One of the guards had just escorted the fan out another way and the other man was headed back towards me. Only minutes away from being discovered I glanced to my left and found one of the doors partly open. Without a second thought I rushed in and slammed the door shut. Heart racing wild with the near mess I looked up to find two men staring at me. I blushed when I saw that one of them was wearing only a towel and sporting a six pack. It wasn’t Iker but Fernando Torres.

“Umm…so sorry,” I blushed a furious color red. Fernando took a firmer hold of his towel as the other man with long hair and sparkling brown eyes stood. I had just acknowledged that it was Sergio Ramos when he pointed at me in excitement and started to speak—more like yell—rapidly in Spanish to Torres. Ramos had a huge smile on his face and whatever he said made Torres look back at me in interest. I stood there awkwardly, not knowing what to do. I mean how many people know how to react to seeing two hot superstar footballers in the flesh—and one showing a lot of it?

“Well…I think I’ll go now.” When I put my hand on the doorknob to exit, Ramos suddenly pulled me in for a huge hug.

“I excited see you!” he screamed happily in horrible English. My eyes wide I only had enough control of my limbs to pat his back.

“What he meant to say was that he is happy to make your acquaintance,” Torres said in perfect English from over Ramos’s shoulder. Momentarily surprised he knew English I then remembered that he played his club football in Liverpool.

“Happy to meet you too?” I tried to make it a statement but it didn’t come out as one. Ramos finally put me down and held me at arms length and just stared at me. He had a goofy smile of his face that was making me edgy. Torres thankfully said something to him in Spanish that had him backing off and waving his hands in the air. Man I wish I remembered Spanish, I thought for not he first time since I had met Iker.

They finished their discussion and Torres moved towards me, “Sorry about that. We’ve just heard a lot about you from Iker and are curious about you, particularly Sergio.” Torres and I looked back at Sergio how was sitting on the bed. He waved, still a smile on his face. I didn’t think a man could smile so much.

“Iker told you about me?” I frowned. Was he making fun of me to his friends or saying good things?

“Yes, although not as much as we want to know.”

“I’m sorry but shouldn’t you hate me?” I was thoroughly confused and starting to get a headache.

Fernando, amazingly, blushed, “We did at first but not anymore. The World Cup is just a month, Iker’s happiness or not lasts much longer.”

“Oh.” This was the strangest conversation I had ever had. When Torres didn’t say anything else I continued. “So...well sorry about the…intrusion but I was wondering if you could point me to Iker’s room.”

“Right!” Torres hit his head like it was obvious what I wanted. I was scared that he was going to lose his towel so was grateful when he lowered his hand back down. “He’s in the room two doors down on the right.”

“Thanks, it was nice to meet the two of you.”

“Our pleasure.”

“Bye, bye!” called Ramos as I closed the door. No one was in the hall so I tip toed to the door Torres had directed me to and knocked. I held my breath, this was the moment. I nibbled my lip and felt my palms start sweating. Please, please just say you’re single!

The door opened to a stunned Iker, “Ivy?”

I brushed past him and into his room. Not wasting any time I dove right to the subject, “Do you have a girlfriend?”

Iker tripped over his own feet as he gazed at me in utter bewilderment, “W-what?”

“I think I’m going to go take a walk,” came a voice from the right. I glanced to the side and spotted David lounging in a chair writing.

“Oops, sorry.” I flushed red in embarrassment, this was just suppose to be between Iker and I.

“It’s fine.” David got up and strolled to the door. “I’m going to go see Fernando and Sergio.” I groaned inwardly, they were going to have a very good time talking about me.

With David gone Iker marched right up to me and wrapped his arms around my waist, “What in the world are you talking about?”

I detangled myself from the warmth of his body because already it was affecting my train of thoughts and I needed all my wits for this. “Do you have a Spanish girlfriend a reporter named Sara Carbonero?” Iker’s eyes widened in recognition, not a great sign. “The press is saying you missed the save against Switzerland because she was so close to you.”

“Is this why you haven’t talked to me? You think I’m involved with another woman?” he guessed, his eyes so deep that I knew he could see the hurt it caused me to think of it.

No matter how hard I tried my voice broke at the end, “Yes.” Iker only watched me, his gaze focused solely on me. Angry now I moved my face right up to his, “Are you going to keep me here all night? I want to know the truth.” My blood was racing, he owed me the truth! “Iker are you--?”

Iker grasped my head so suddenly yet with tenderness that it startled me, “You are the only woman in my life now and will be the only woman in my life forever.”

His tone was full of passion and his gaze open with such stark honestly that I threw my hands around his neck. He lowered his head and captured my lips in an unyielding kiss as if to convey the depth of his feelings.

I was the only one for him and he was the only one for me. That nothing could tear us apart.

He moved us backwards without breaking our kiss. Pushing me against the wall, he grabbed my legs and wrapped them around his middle as my hands slid into his velvety hair. I devoured his mouth taking his breath into mine and giving him mine as if to say that our lives were the others. I moaned and heard his answered groan as I slipped my hand under his shirt and felt the warmth of his skin. His hands were placed against the wall on either side of my head while one of my hands was around his neck to supporte my weight. He pressed me closer to the wall so that I didn’t fall and could feel all the strenght of his body. I gasped but not in pleasure as I looked over Iker’s shoulder to see Sergio, Fernando, David, and two other players which I saw were Cesc and Xavi at the door, poking their heads in to try to see us.

Iker didn’t know they were there but when he heard Sergio’s comment he knew we weren’t alone, “¡Dios mio, qu estan comiendo unos a otros!”

Iker stiffen and lowered me to the ground on legs that weren’t too steady. When he turned to confront his teammates the look must have warned them away because Cesc cried, “¡Escape!”

They disappeared as Iker cried what I assume was a lot of swear words in their wake before coming back in the room. “I apologize for that.”

I waved my hand like it was nothing, “You told them?”

“Well, you know David found out and then it went downhill from there but don’t worry they will keep their mouths shut.” I swore Iker added a ‘hopefully’ to the end of the sentence but couldn’t be sure since it was so low. “We should talk about this girlfriend thing.” We reclined on his bed, me against his back with his arm around me. I loved being enveloped in his scent and body heat. “Sara was my girlfriend but we broke up weeks ago,” he explained. “I guess the paparazzi didn’t figure that out. It’s old news and done with.”

“Then why were you so worried after half time?”

He took a deep breath as I nestled my head against his neck, “My father was in a car crash a few days before the start of the World Cup. That was why I was on your flight, I went back to check on him. Well during half time I got a call that he was back in the hospital and it screwed with my head.” I took his hand and interlaced our fingers, kissing the back of his hand in support

“Is he alright?”

“Si, everything is fine now and he is doing better.”

“I’m glad to hear it.”

“Nena, you have to promise me that the next time you read anything in the press you come to me right away. Don’t let our relationship fester over what they write, most of the time it’s the furthest from the truth. Promise me you won’t believe it until you ask me. I will always tell you the truth.”

I lifted myself off of him and turned to look him right in the eye, “I promise Iker.”

“Bien,” Iker smiled and kissed me on the lips. “I’m sorry that Switzerland lost today.”

“And I’m glad that Spain won today.” We grinned at each other. “I think I should let you get some sleep, it’s been a crazy couple of days for me so god knows how much it was for you.” We stood and he walked me to the door. “Hey, what did Sergio say before in Spanish?”

Iker smirked, “He said that we were eating each other.” That’s it, I thought. There was no way I could face any of those guys again. “When are you leaving?”

“The day after tomorrow.”

“Would you like to do something with me the whole day? I’m off.” Iker’s smile was so alluring that there was no way I was going to say no. I nodded. “What’s you’re room number?”

“332.”

“I’ll come get you at ten.”

*Iker POV*

I was glad that everything was resolved. Not having talked to Ivy for that short amount of time had killed me and I felt like we had gotten past a huge hill in our relationship. We now trusted each other on a new level.

“You are seriously taking Ivy out on a date today?” David asked skeptically while dribbling a football down our room.

“Yes, what’s so bad about that?” I had grilled the guys last night after they had spied on Ivy and I. None of them felt bad about it, calming that they had done it to make sure that I wasn’t going to get hurt. The good thing about the situation is that they didn’t ask questions anymore on why I was with her. It was like witnessing us two being together had made them realize that I wasn’t playing around with this relationship and neither was Ivy.

“There is going to be the press everywhere after our game last night. Besides, shouldn’t you be meditating on our last game in three days?”

I shook my head, “I should be relaxing after a stressful week and I can only do that with Ivy. Plus it’s her last day here before she has to meet her father in Bloemfontein.”

“Suit yourself.” David carefully balanced the football on his foot. “Oh, I won’t be sleeping here again tonight since I’m going out on a date with me wife.” I rolled my eyes. He is giving me shit about going out while he is planning the same thing. “Don’t roll your eyes, she’s my wife! Everyone knows we are together!”

“What has this got to do with not sleeping here?”

David smirked, “I haven’t had sex with my wife since we got to South Africa and tonig--.”

I covered my ears, “Way too much information! I’m going to go now so have fun with that.”

I went down to get Ivy who was looking beautiful i black cotton pants and a baby blue t-shirt. I took her hand and we headed downstairs. I put my beanie hat and she slid on her sunglasses so none of the guests would tell who we were and why we were together.

“What are we doing?” Ivy asked as we took a detour to the kitchens of the hotel.

“I thought we could have a picnic somewhere out of the city,” I explained. I knew it was winter here but it was nothing like what I had experienced once when I had gone to Greenland for Christmas. I still have no idea why the hell I had agreed with my parents, whose dream it was to go there and also why anyone would want to go there in the first place but it had taught me no place was too cold for me after that. With Ivy’s Swiss blood we were both pretty comfortable with the South African winter. “Away from all the cameras and craziness of the World Cup.”

Ivy smiled and I knew she liked the idea. I had asked the hotel the night before if I could get a picnic made and they had readily complied. They would do anything to please their famous guests so I shamelessly used that to my advantage to make it special for Ivy. I thanked all the chefs when I was handed the basket with delicious smells from within. Then we went back to the lobby and out the side to where my rented car was. The car ride out was nice, we just talked. It was strange that we never ran out of things to say.

We talked about family, football, what we want with our future, movies, music, and the topics went on and on. We were very different; she hated scary movies while I loved them. Her musical tastes were all over the place while mine was mostly modern. Ivy had me listen to some of the stuff she listens to like Loreena Mckennitt and Within Temptation which I thought sounded like church music while for her Usher and Jason Derulo held no appeal. I liked spicy food, she stayed away from it. Yet despite all that we found things in common. We both like action movies such as the Bourne series and the Terminator movies. We loved listing to a band called Skillet and our favorite song was Hero. We adored Italian food and couldn’t get enough spaghetti. Most importantly our values were the same. We believed in sacrifice for the ones we loved and that trust was key in a relationship. I learned that she wanted to get married and have at least three kids which was the same with me although I was fine with having more children.

“Where are we going?” Ivy asked changing the subject as she pushed some hair out of her face. The windows were open and the wind was blowing her hair all around us.

“Don’t know,” I grinned at her expression. “I just drove far enough out of the city now you just tell me if you see a spot that you like.”

“Alright.” Ivy was a person that wasn’t very impulsive like me so to not have a destination in mind for her was strange. I liked that she wasn’t bothered by this fact but more interested with trying to go with the flow. She looked a little nervous as she looked at me, “What if we run into a lion?” I seriously almost drove off the road I laughed so hard. “Stop it! It’s not a stupid question! We are in Africa, there could be lions!” It wasn’t so much the question but the nervous and hilarious tone she had asked me in.

I had to gather my composure before I could answer, “There shouldn’t be any around here but just in case we can run away.” I bite my tongue to keep from laughing again. “Don’t worry, I won’t let a lion eat you.”

I could see that Ivy wasn’t entirely convinced but nodded nonetheless. “There.” She pointed out across to a deserted place with a lone tree in the middle. It was the tree that caught the eye because it was huge and twisted in so many places that it just looked like someone had sawed it down and then glued it back together. I slowed down the car and pulled over, signaling even though we hadn’t seen a car in at least thirty minutes. There was an air of mystery yet calm that surrounded the place, I stared at Ivy thinking that it was very similar to what I had first thought when seeing her. How appropriate.

“Good spot.” We got out of the car, Ivy took the blanket and I grabbed the basket. Once again I took her hand in my free one, needing to touch her. We set up in comfortable silence, the red blanket was spread out and then we dug into all the delicious food. I took my phone out which had music and played some Spanish songs. Ivy sat crossed legged as she finished off her sandwich while I laid on my side propped up on my elbow.

“Why don’t you support the USA team?” I asked having finished my meal. I made I mental note to thank them again and tip them for everything they had done.

She looked up at me a little guiltily, “I just don’t really like the players or their way of playing football. I feel like its luck more than skill that gets them to win.” I chuckled and she swatted my arm. “Stop it! I feel horrible saying that about the team whose country I live in.”

“Don’t worry I feel the same way.”

“Well no duh you can say that because you compete against them but to me it’s like a crime!”

“It’s not like America care about football—or soccer.”

She put her food down, “Let’s talk about something else.”

“I think we should tell our teams and everyone about us.” Her eyes widened at my statement. “I’ve thought a lot about it and I just hate keeping it a secret not only because they’re my friends but I’m not ashamed about being with you.” Her gaze softened. I sat up and moved to sit in front of her. “I want the world to know it and be able to see you without sneaking around like it’s a crime. The World Cup is a game it’s supposed to bring people and countries together.”

She giggled, “I don’t think they meant it quite like what we’re doing.”

I grinned, “What do you think?” She turned serious at that and thought it threw over a few minutes. I let her, knowing that this wasn’t only my decision but something we had to do and agree on together.

“I want to tell everyone,” Ivy finally said. “But I think it should wait until after the last game. I don’t want to distract my father or my team and I don’t want it to affect yours.”

I nodded seeing her logic. It would be a shock and none of our two teams could afford the distraction so close to the games that would decided if we would move on to the round of sixteen. “Agreed. We won’t tell anyone until Friday night.” Then I added cheekily, “Shall we seal it with a kiss?” Ivy laughed out loud but gave me a kiss. I was going to end it but it went on for a good half hour.

After our make out session, we went back to the car. I put the radio on and Ivy sang along to the lyrics. Suddenly La Camisa Negra came on, I glanced out of the corner of my eye to find a red Ivy. Since she couldn’t sing along with this song I did it for her all the while remembering the sway of her body and the feel of her against me.

“You sing well,” Ivy said a little surprised when the song ended and her skin was back to its normal color.

“You’re just saying that because you like my sexy deep voice,” I joked and got another blush as I hit the mark. Before I could say anything else smoke started puffing out of the front of the car. I pulled over and got out, popping the hood up. I cursed in Spanish and hoped that it wasn’t what I was thinking was wrong with it. Damn, it was. I lowered the hood and went back to the driver’s side. “The cables are fried.”

“How do you know?” Ivy asked.

“Because I’m a guy and know cars,’ I responded like it was logical. I checked my cell but I found that the battery was dead from listening to music. “My battery’s dead. Do you have your phone?”

She searched in her bag—how much stuff does a girl need to carry around?—and finally found her phone, “I have no signal.” Ivy looked up at me nervously. “What do we do?”

“I think I saw a village on the way over here up a couple of miles, we could try there for a phone or lift.” I know it wasn’t the best plan but it was all I had.

“Let’s go.” The walk was a little longer then I expected but Ivy held up. I was especially impressed that she did this in pumps, how women manage to walk in them let alone for hours on end is beyond me. I think to be that high up and walk for miles is deserving of a freakin’ metal. When we arrived to the town everyone was very nice to us before they even recognized us. When they finally did they were even more so.

It was a poor village with only a few dozens of families, everyone knew each other. It was heartbreaking to see that they lived in terrible conditions and crumbling houses yet were still willing to help us out. They had no running electricity in the village so no phones and they only had two cars in the village which they all shared. One had been taken by the local goat herder to a bigger town to sell his goods. They said that they would be happy to give us a ride to Johannesburg in the second car but that we would have to wait an hour since the man going for supplies was fixing a leaking roof. We said it was no problem and that we would wait. They offered us food and drink, again I marveled at how kind and generous these people were. I vowed to help them when I could. Ivy and I declined the food since we had just eaten but took the drink so as not to offend their hospitality. We went to sit outside, the women were all talking to Ivy curious about her cloths, nail polish, and make up. When she volunteered to do there nails I knew it was time to excuse myself from the beauty parlor section of the village. I wondered around before finding a group of teens playing football, now here was the fun. The ball rolled to my feet and I looked up at the boy that was jogging to me.

“Can I play?” I asked.

The boy’s eyes went round when he saw me, “You can but we don’t play with goalies.”

I flipped the ball up in the air with a twist of my feet and then bounced it from one foot to the other. I let it fall back on the ground and placed my foot on top, “Fine with me.”

I was always surprised that people only thought that I could keep goals out. I had started as a striker but more than that all goalies are still trained in kicking, passing, dribbling, and everything else. How else were we to judge where the ball was going when hit at our net? We needed to know how the other player felt. I wasn’t horrible, sure I was no Messi or Kaka but I was still at the level that I could play on the field in La Liga if I wanted to.

The game started and the boys soon learned that I was just as good out of my net as in it. Minutes seemed to fly by I had so much fun. A crowd gathered to watch us play, Ivy among them. The boys showed off their skills and I did the same, we were guys after all. No one real kept score yet it was an intense game. Ajayi, the boy that had invited me to play, had just taken the ball away from me when a young woman came running.

“Ajayi! Come quick boy!” The girl was a little older then his eighteen years and looked to be his sister.

“Not now Safia, I’m in the middle--.”

“No time, Sebtuu is in labor!” I gathered from the wide eyes of Ajayi that it was his wife. It wasn’t uncommon for people to marry young in villages like theirs.

“Get the doctor!” he cried running off the field.

“Idiot!” she said to herself looking nervous and not noticing that I was still next to her. “He’s not here.”

“What’s the matter?” Ivy asked coming up to us.

I opened my mouth to explain the situation but Safia beat me to it. “My brother’s wife is in labor and the doctor left town this morning and isn’t due back till tomorrow!”

“I thought the goat herder took the car?” Ivy asked puzzled.

“Yes and he is the doctor.” Safia walked the way her brother had left and Ivy and I followed her.

“The goat herder is the doctor?” Ivy wasn’t getting the point and if the situation had been different I would have laughed but the thought that this woman wouldn’t have a doctor took precedence.

“Ivy you can deliver the baby,” I suddenly thought. Why the hell had I not come up with it sooner?

“No, I--.” Ivy didn’t finish as Safia’s joyful cry cut in. We stopped in front of a small hut on the edge of the village where I could hear a woman’s labored breathing inside.

“Really Miss Ivy? Oh thank you!” She didn’t wait but hastened in leaving me with Ivy.

Ivy hit me on the arm and this time it wasn’t playful. “Are you insane!? I can’t do it!”

“But you deliver babies all the time! It’s your job!”

“Yes but this is different! I’m not in hospital, I have no equipment, and I don’t know this women’s history!” She snapped looking a bit angry.

“Why are you angry with me?” I had no idea what set her off. Then I saw it in her eyes, she wanted to help but had no idea if she could do it in this situation. She was completely out of her element and it was tearing her up inside so she had focused her emotions to anger.

“Because I can’t do it but you gave them hope and I…” There was a groan of pain from inside and the panicked voices of Safia and Ajayi. “Fuck.” She rushed inside and I felt pride swell inside my chest. My god was she brave! And she was mine.

I entered to find that Ivy was at the pregnant woman’s side at the bed. Ivy pushed some of her hair out of her face and smiled like she hadn’t a care in the world. “Hello Sebtuu, I’m Ivy.” Her voice was calming; she was in control on the outside although I knew better. “You’re going to be just fine dear so there is no need to worry.” Sebtuu was looking a lot more relaxed but was glancing apprehensively at her husband and sister-in-law both of whom were pacing and looked a little pale. Ivy followed the woman’s eyes. “Safia, can you get me two bowls of hot water, towels, scissors, and a blanket.” Safia nodded and ran to fetch the items. “Ajayi, I need you to find a plant called aloes for me.” He just continued to stare at his wife in shell shock.

I stepped in front of him so that he had to look at me, “You heard Ivy, get your wife some aloes. Do you know what it looks like?”

“Yes,” he mumbled weakly.

“Then go get some and don’t return without it.” There was steal in my tone that finally got through to him because he met my eyes. Nodding he kissed his wife on the cheek and sprinted away.

“You can go now too,” Ivy said. I knew that she had gotten rid of the other two because they were just causing strain on the pregnant woman and that would complicate things but she wasn’t about to get me out of there so easily. I didn’t answer her and moved to Sebtuu’s side.

“I’m Iker, Sebtuu and I’m going to help you through this if you are willing to let me.” My tone was kind but confident. The woman needed a rock to support her through this and it wasn’t her husband at this instant. I could tell that she was going to refuse but a contraction hit her and she grabbed onto my hand. She clutched it so hard that I don’t think any blood flowed through but I couldn’t care less. I shared her pain at this moment and tried to take as much of it from her as possible. Her breathing went back to normal and she nodded, too exhausted to talk. I saw that Safia had come during the time I had helped Sebtuu through the pain and Ivy was washing her hands in one of the bowels.

I talked gently to Sebtuu but watched as Ivy examined her patient. “You’re doing great Sebtuu,” Ivy said encouragingly as she positioned her hands on the woman’s stomach. She moved her hands around pushing in certain spots. Nothing betrayed panic on her face but I knew something was wrong when she looked up at me.

*Ivy POV*

Shit, shit, shit. I was so mad that this was happening to me yet I knew that I couldn’t have run from this situation. I had to help this woman…and she was going to need it. Not for the first time I wished that I was in a hospital with proper equipment to treat this woman but I had what I could find. I cursed again and wished I at least had some pain killers for Sebtuu, her back must be in so much agony.

“Listen to me Sebtuu,” I leaned close her. “Your child is facing the wrong way for birth--.”

“What!” she clutched her belly in panic. “Is my child going to die? Please you have to save my baby!”

“Hush there is no need for that.” I made myself smile reassuringly like this happened everyday and there was nothing wrong. This did happen quite a lot but usual not so close to birth and in a hospital where I had the tools to deal with this properly. Might as well be in the damn medieval ages, I thought. “It’s easy to fix. Now can you stand at all?” Standing up and leaning forward while she rotated her hips was the first option. It was strange but there were studies that said it helped the baby to turn. She valiantly tried to push herself up with the help of Iker but she grimaced. “Stop. It’s fine we’re just going to the next choice. Iker and I are going to help you get on all fours that position might encourage your child to turn.” She nodded and I supported her on the left while Iker did the same on the right. After a few minutes I checked the baby again but it had stubbornly refused to move. I told Sebtuu that a few more minutes would do the trick—at least I desperately hoped so.

I used the now-cold water and wiped her brow while urging her to keep doing what she was and that she was holding up fantastically. Sebtuu was so tired that Iker but his arms above her stomach and supported her. I looked over at Iker and smiled. I was so happy that he had decided to help me and couldn’t imagine doing it without him. Not only was he wonderful with Sebtuu, holding her, encouraging her, and keeping her mind off the pain but he had also believed in me when I had hesitated like he knew I could do it. I am not going to let him, this woman, or this child down, I promised myself.

A hard contraction hit so we eased her back into a sitting position. Iker held her hand while I checked her dilation and saw that it was time to push. I quickly checked if the baby had decided to cooperate but found that it hadn’t moved after our efforts. There was no other choice but to birth the child legs first.

“On the next contraction I’m going to have you push,” I instructed looking straight in her eyes.

“Did the baby turn?” she asked weakly.

“Did you hear me Sebtuu?” I ignored her question, there was no way I was going to frighten her. “You are going to have to push when the pain comes back alright?”

“Yes, alright.” I think she had figured out that her child hadn’t turned because she didn’t ask again and changed the subject. “No one is going…to believe…that Iker…Casillas helped me birth…my child.”

Iker flashed her a million dollar smile, “I’ll put it in writing for you afterwards if you want.” She was about to respond when the pain hit. I told her to push and Iker did as well, telling her to breathe and yell if she wanted. She did scream just as the child slid into my waiting hands.

“It’s a boy!” I said and Iker repeated it gently to Sebtuu, who had joyous tears in her eyes. I quickly used the scissors to cut the umbilical cord but my heart was pounding in terror.

The baby boy hadn’t cried.

“Why isn’t he crying?” the new mother said frantically. I checked his pulse, it was faint.

“Give him a minute to get his bearing,” I heard Iker tell her but my focus was completely on the child. I did the only thing I could do in that situation. Supporting the baby’s head I flipped him over and used my palm to gently yet firmly pound his back.

“What is she doing?!” came Sebtuu’s horrified voice.

Iker replied, “Just let her do her job.” I hit his back once more and still no cry. I felt tears in my eyes and glanced at Iker. He was calm, his eyes were on me and the hope and support I saw there gave me determination. This time I hit the child with a little more force.

A strong, healthy wail broke across the room.

I breathed a huge sigh of relief and wrapped the child in a blanket before handing him to his waiting mother.

“Congratulations,” I smiled down at the two of them. Both safe.

“A fine future footballer,” added Iker with a huge grin.

“Thank you both,” she squeezed my hand and then Iker. I had just washed my hands when Ajayi ran in.

“I brought the flower and the doctor is back…” when his gaze landed on the two forms in bed a breathtaking smile of pure happiness crossed his face. He absently handed me the flowers as he went to the bed. Iker came to my side to give the two of them some privacy.

“So what did you need the flowers for?” he looked tired but his eyes sparkled at just how wonderful life was.

“Nothing,” I smiled. “Aloes help with bruises, pinkeye, and arthritis not childbirth.”

Iker chucked and kissed my forehead, “My clever little liar.”

A man approached us then and introduced himself as the doctor and goat herder—how in the world did he get those two jobs?—and said that he had come back early and would take care of things from here. He also told us that a villager was waiting to take us back to Johannesburg. We thanked him and exited the home after learning that Ajayi and Sebtuu were going to name their baby Akanni which meant ‘our meeting brings gifts’ in our honor. Humbled we thanked them and finally made our way to our hotel after a two hour delay.

*Iker POV*

All I kept thinking of was the miracle that I had just been a part of. Nothing was harder yet more beautiful then childbirth. Ivy was lucky to get to experience it every time she went to work. I glance over at her in the back seat of the rusty jeep and felt even more honored that she had let me help her and seeing once again how amazing she was.

I took her hand in mine and moved it to my lap. I was a bit tired but energized by the joy of the afternoon. Who would have thought that I would have helped bring a life into this world when I had set off on my date with Ivy this morning? It was strange when we got into the city and saw lights; civilization had appeared so far away at the village.

The man dropped us a few blocks for the hotel, we thanked him again and walked the last few minutes. We weren’t seen coming in but I had Ivy stay out of sight as I went to the front desk to get them to send for the car. I told them I would pay for everything and then called my agent fast to tell him that I wanted to donate a lot of money for the helping the good people of Africa. He was a bit surprised but could tell I wasn’t joking and said he would call me tomorrow with a list of causes.

Ivy and I went up to my room where we watched a movie after the exciting day. Bored out of my mind by the movie 17 Again and with too many thoughts drifting though my mind, I laid back and stared at the ceiling.

“You are suppose to watch the movie,” Ivy said from her side of the big bed. How could I concentrate when I was feeling all…alive.

“Why don’t you talk in French to me?” I asked changing the subject.

I could tell from her pitch that Ivy’s brows had lifted, “Am I suppose to?”

“Si, I say Spanish words around you,” I pointed out.

“But you only say endearment words.” I heard her approach me and then her face leaned over me. “Are you trying to tell me that you want me to say some to you in French?”

I grasped her around the waist and set her on top of me. She gasped as I ran my hands up her sides. “What gave you that idea?” I grinned devilishly. “We can practice if you want?”

I expected her to get off me but instead she leaned down, hands near my head. She looked straight into my eyes, hers going golden in fervor. “You drive me crazy, chèri.” I swear I never would have thought a girl speaking one word in another language could turn me on but it did. “You are mon poussin, mon chou, et mon coeur.”

Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea because all I could think of now was getting her naked and beneath me,
“Don’t saw another word to me in French.” Damn, did I sound a little shaky?

“Pourquoi chèri?” Ivy was pressing kisses against my jaw line while plastering her curves against me.

“Because.” Ivy had the audacity to bite my lip and that time my voice definitely shook. I had enough self restraint left to grab her arm and make her look at me. “Te amo Ivy and right now if we don’t stop I’m going to show you just how much.” I knew it was a risk telling her I loved her. For one she couldn’t feel the same or think that it was too early. Ivy could also not say it back and make me look like an idiot but I couldn’t help it. It was the way I felt and I couldn’t keep it in anymore.

Her lips descended onto mine very slowly and it was the softest and gentlest kiss I had ever received yet somehow ended up being the most sensual. Her golden eyes met my black ones.

“Je t’aime Iker.” My god she had said it back to me! I swore I could have flown in that moment. She leaned completely on me and laid her forehead against mine. I could feel our heartbeats. At first there were two and then they seemed to blend into one until all I could hear was one strong heartbeat…one love. “Maintenant montre moi.”

I sure as hell spoke not one word of French but I knew when my woman told me to make good on my words and show her how much I loved her. I groaned and flipped her on her back.

*Ivy POV*

Sarah and I were on our way to Bloemfontein after a morning of shopping. We were on a taxi that would take me to my father while Iker was on a bus but to Pretoria. I smiled as I thought of Iker. He loved me and I loved him. I couldn’t believe that my feelings for him had gotten this big in such a short amount of time but I knew they weren’t wrong. Iker was the man for me. The one.

It had been hard to leave him this morning after the night we had spent in each other’s arms. Iker had wanted me to come to his game but I had told him I had to be with my father. I knew deep down that Spain was going to move on to the next round but I wasn’t so sure for Switzerland and needed to be there for my dad. I told him to call me everyday but when I had left it was with a bit of heavy heart. If Switzerland didn’t make it to the round of 16 we were going home.

I was going home and leaving Iker. I was pretty sure that he would want to keep our relationship the same but were we going to do one of those long distance relationship? Did those ever work? What was the other alternative, move to Madrid? Would he want to move in together? Would I be able to leave my job since he certainly couldn’t leave his?

Was our relationship realistically going somewhere?

Thinking that I was putting way too much thought into this I decided to catch some sleep since last night I hadn’t gotten any. On that thought I turned towards the window so Sarah wouldn’t see my red cheeks and closed my eyes.