A Goalkeeper Can Catch Anything...Even Love

Mobs

*Ivy POV*

It was the day after Sarah and I returned from my visit to Iker that all hell broke loose. The guys were bored after practice and nervous about the coming match so I had them gather in the hallway of our hotel—we had the floor to ourselves and security at all entry points—to play some games so they wouldn’t think about the competition. We started playing Uno but soon got bored and Sarah suggested we switch to playing Spoons. The boys— Alexander, Tranquillo, Hakan, Diego, and Philippe— looked at us like we were crazy.

“Why would we play with spoons?” asked Philippe cautiously as if we had gotten knocked out with a football and didn’t know what we were saying.

“Not spoons but Spoons,” I tried to clarify.

Alexander rolled his eyes, “Is this some American joke?”

“Maybe we are suppose to hit each other with spoons,” put in Tranquillo.

Sarah whacked him on the arm, “You’re unbelievable.”

“Thank you,” Tranquillo winked. Sarah just snorted but I swore that there was something between them. For one, they kept giving each other these weird longing looks when the others weren’t watching. They also touched each other when they thought no one was looking, just a brush of the hand or pretend to stretch and bump the other’s knee. It was really gross. God I hope Iker and I don’t act like that, I thought. But then again we hadn’t really been in each other’s company with people around. The other unusual thing was that I think it was serious. I had never seem my friend act so completely foolish, she was the one in control when she flirted. I think that this time she really liked him and not just as a fling.

“If you too give each other one more of those looks I’m going to vomit,” declared Diego indicating that I wasn’t the only one that had picked up on their vibe. Tranquillo snapped some fast Swiss German words at him that only made Diego grin.

“Can somebody please explain this spoon situation to me?” Hakan cut in so that the two boys didn’t start pulling out hair.

“Spoons is a game where there is one less spoon then there are player placed in the middle, so since we are seven we put out six.” I placed six pens in the middle of our circle since I had no spoons on me. “Then we take a deck—what Alexander?”

He put his hand down, “I’d like to point out that those are pens not spoons.”

“Yes,” I said exasperatedly. Leave it to Alexander to make it all technical. “It’s all I could find in my bag. It’s not like you carry around spoons.”

“So shouldn’t it be called Pens?” Philippe frowned in confusion.

“Good God you Swiss are so methodological about everything!” cried Sarah throwing her hands in the air and almost hitting Diego but thanks to his goalie reflexes was able to duck in time. “Who cares what it’s called!?”

“I do,” Hakan said after a second of silence.

“Me too,” Alexander responded and all the guys indicated they did too.

I tried to keep the smile from spreading on my face at the incredulous look on Sarah’s face but failed. Before she started swearing or killing the unsuspecting males I continued with the rules of the game. “We get a deck and each starts with four cards. One person starts with the deck and passes card by card down the line until someone gets a pair of all the same number or face card. Then they pick up a sp—pen and everyone can then grab a pen even if you don’t have four of a kind because someone else already picked up and the person that doesn’t get a pen at the end is out. For the next round you take out a pen and start over until one person wins. Get it?” I looked around at the boys and they appeared to understand it.

“So it’s like musical chairs?” Philippe commented as I shuffled the cards.

“Nay man, it’s musical pens,” grinned Tranquillo as he glanced over at a murderous Sarah.

“I hate the Swiss,” she mumbled under her breath.

“Not from what I heard last night,” replied Hakan. My head jerked up and Tranquillo seemed to turn a little red. I glance from my friend to Tranquillo and my eyes widened. So that was where she had been last night, I thought.

“What did you say?” Thank goodness Sarah hadn’t heard that comment or else things would have looked bad for Hakan and then the Swiss tomorrow. Sarah was a girl with a temper and she wasn’t afraid to use it.

“Let’s play,” Alexander diplomatically changed the subject. The first time we didn’t play for real so the guys could practice but after it was all out war. Diego turned out to be very good at the game. Not only was he lucky in getting good cards and often being the one to pick up the pen first but he did it so sneakily like it was a fluid motion that most of us didn’t pick up on it until minutes later. The game was intense as the pens dwindled down; there was screaming, laughing, scratching, and lunges that made us all laugh. Soon our noise attracted most of the other players and a huge Spoons/Pens game was on the way. That was until my dad showed up, then everything went still.

He exited the elevator like a living, walking thunderstorm. My dad was holding something in his hands and it looked like it took all his willpower not to crush it. Instantly all the players shut their mouths and sat up a little straighter as if being caught red handed in some crime. My dad paid them no attention, his eyes were fixed on me. Oh no, I thought. He was mad but I didn’t know what I had done besides going behind his back with Iker…OH NO! He couldn’t know could he? I mentally told myself to calm down and meet his eyes.

“Is there something that you would like to tell me Ivy?” I could see that he was so mad that he couldn’t even think of having this conversation in private.

“Ummm…no.” I replied in a small voice. Maybe it wasn’t what I thought and I was over reacting.

“Nothing about how or with whom you’ve been spending your time with?”

“With the team, Sarah, you…” I said sweetly but knowing it was useless. My eyes went wide as my dad dropped what he had been carrying onto my crossed legs. It was magazines and every single cover was featuring a picture of Iker and me walking back to the hotel after our picnic and adventure at the village. There was no point in denying our relationship as the picture had snapped us holding hands and walking very close together “…and Iker.” I flipped through the magazines looking at the headlines. Rival Romance, Iker and Ivy: Behind the Backs of Their Countries, and the most embarrassing of all, Spanish Unable to Score Against Switzerland But Iker Casillas Does It Off The Pitch. I looked up into the eyes of my dad as Tranquillo took the magazines off my lap and passed them around, I had no clue what to say.

“You’ve embarrassed this team, our country, and me!” He was pacing which was what he did when he was about to lose control over his emotions. “I can’t believe you did this!”

“Not me,” Philippe interrupted.

Both our heads twisted to look at him but it was my dad that spoke, “Excuse me?”

“Sorry coach but I noticed it at the first game.” I had a feeling he had seen something when had glanced at me strangely!

“You’re telling me you knew about this?!”

“Yup.”

“Yup!” my dad repeated, he looked like he wasn’t getting enough air because he was turning a different color. “That’s all you have to say? Yup!”

I gave Philippe a smile because I knew that he was trying to move my dad’s anger away from me, “Dad, it’s not his fault--.”

“Sorry coach but we all knew,” Alexander cut in. My father’s mouth dropped, Alexander was a man that didn’t bullshit.

“We all saw them together sneaking around.” Hakan turned to me. “Don’t go into the spy business.” I laughed despite the situation.

“You all knew?” my dad asked in disbelief. I could see that the shock of being the last to find out and not knowing something about your own daughter was winning out over anger. “You aren’t bothered by this?”

Alexander looked around at the guys and they communicated by looks because the Swiss Captain turned to my dad and without hesitation said, “Not at all sir. If Iker is what makes Ivy happy then screw everyone else.”

“Thanks,” I told the guys softly.

“I need to speak to you in private.” My dad didn’t wait for my answer but opened the door to his room and went in. I followed nervously but wanting to come clean.

“I was going to tell you but--.”

“I don’t want to hear it.” My father turned around to face me, his expression open and calm. “Just answer one question, is he worth it?”

“Yes,” I said at once. “I love him.”

His faced looked like he had swallowed something the wrong way, “Love?”

“I love Iker dad and whatever you say to me now isn’t going to affect it.” My tone broke no argument. This was my life and I wanted Iker in it, my dad was going to have to accept it. He smiled sadly and pulled me into his arms, I knew he was on my side.

“Next time give me a little warning.”

“I will.” I smiled as he pulled away. I left the room and my dad to his work, walking into the hallway to find money being passed from hand to hand. Diego was looking a little too smug.

“What’s going on?” I stopped near the boys.

Sarah was shaking her head in disgust, “Boys are so stupid.”

“Well we told you and the coach we’ve known about this secret tryst for a while…” Philippe started.

“…what we didn’t say was that we made bets,” finished Tranquillo.

“Bets?” Were they kidding me?

“And Diego won,” Hakan grumbled handing over a lot of cash.

I met Sarah’s gaze, “Shopping?”

“Shopping,” she agreed. We left the boys to their dumb games and strange antics.

*Iker POV*

“Please tell me you’re joking,” Cesc looked about ready to faint dead away in astonishment.

I patiently lined up my shot and sunk a ball, “I’m not.” The pool game in the basement of our hotel had come to a complete stop because all my teammates were staring at me in awe.

“You…” David couldn’t continue the sentence and just blinked at me.

“I…” It seemed like all I kept having was conversations in which the guys gave me stupid blank looks.

“No way you actually helped a woman pop out a kid,” Sergio said bluntly shaking his head.

“I did.” I had told them about my exciting date with Ivy after excessive begging from all sides.

“Amigo…wow I have no idea what to say.” I knew Xavi was impressed from the look in his eyes.

“Was it scary?” Sergio asked.

“Of course you idiot!” David replied as being the only other man in the room that had witnessed childbirth.

“But it leaves you feeling so alive and appreciative of life.” I could tell that David knew what I was saying. “You have no clue how amazing Ivy was--.”

“Okay new topic please.” Sergio made a vomiting motion as Cesc laughed. “All we hear from you these days is Ivy this and Ivy that it’s boring! Let’s talk football!” I rolled my eyes but the talk quickly turned away from my extracurricular activities to our coming match. I half listened to what they were saying but most of my thoughts went to Ivy and our night together. It had been…it had been just…incredible. There was no other word and I couldn’t describe how it had felt to wake up with her in my arms, hair spread across my arm that served as her pillow. Or how hard it had been to let her get into the taxi and drive away.

David slapping me on my back brought me back to the present, “Your turn.” I sunk another ball as Sergio grumbled at the luck I was having and lined up his.

“IKER!” Sergio hit the eight ball and sunk it. He collapsed on the table cursing as Fernando ran into the room.

“What..?” My voice trailed off as he held up some magazines.

“Shit!” I grabbed one of them as Sergio took another. How had the press found out? We had been so careful.

“There isn’t even a picture of you kissing!” cried Sergio like it was disgraceful for the paparazzi not to have gotten one. “This is so G rated!” Fernando the closest to him hit the back of his head while I thanked him. “I’m just pointing out that they aren’t doing their job very well.” I opened to an article and knew that I was going to have to come clean on this to the Del Bosque. Speak of the devil, I thought as he came strolling into the room.

“I see you’ve checked out the papers,” he said casually as the rest of the team fled from the room. Cowards, I accused with my eyes. “Interesting don’t you think?”

“I’m sorry sir. I was going to tell you and the rest of the team after our game against Chili.” I didn’t look away from his eyes but stood tall. “I didn’t want it to distract from the coming game but I’m not ashamed of being in love with Ivy Schmitz.”

Del Bosque just watched me silently, his hands clasped behind his back. He looked thoughtful and that unnerved me. “It’s your life Iker,” Del Bosque finally said. “I just want to know that you can do your job when you have to.”

“Yes sir.”

“Good.” Pleased he turned around and opened the door to find the entire team was listening from the outside.

“We were just looking for Fernando’s ring it must have slipped from his finger when we walked out,” Sergio lied.

“Must be looking for your bullshit down there too Sergio,” Del Bosque responded not buying it.

“You caught me,” Sergio grinned not looking the least bit sorry.

Del Bosque turned back to me, “I was going to have you explain everything to your teammates but never mind.”

The entire Spanish team smiled at the coach and then at me. They accepted my relationship with Ivy. They were on my side, no matter what.

*Ivy POV*

“They’re not giving you too much problems are they,” Iker asked worriedly from the other end of the line. After each having our secrets blown wide open we had called each other to talk it through.

“You know the press Iker,” I replied going to the window and looking down at the journalists that had doubled in size since this morning. I hadn’t even gotten past the front door with Sarah that afternoon and had resigned myself to rescheduling our shopping trip—and pretty much everything else that involved stepping outside.

“Yeah, it’s pretty bad here too nena.” I could hear the xbox on the other end and guessed that his team was as much stuck in their rooms as ours. “Del Bosque tried to calm them down by talking but it didn’t work.”

“My dad tried the same,” I said looking over at the TV that was currently on mute and had the face of my father on the screen and then Iker’s coach as they tried to talk some sense into the fanatical press. “You would think they’d be more interested in the game tomorrow.”

“If only,” Iker said wishfully.

“Listen Iker,” I started. “We have to talk about tomorrow.”

“What about?”

“What happens to us if Switzerland doesn’t make it through,” I clarified sitting on the bed because I knew this was going to be a long discussion.

“They’ll make it through,” he insisted.

“We might not.”

“Well we might not either.”

“You will.” I wrapped a strand of hair around my index finger. “I want to know if you want to keep seeing me even if it’s a long distance relationship.”

“Yes,” Iker said without hesitation and it made me smile in joy. “That’s not the issue.”

“What is?”

“I wish we were having this conversation face to face,” Iker mumbled and it grew quieter in the background so I knew he had gone somewhere private. “Do you think that you could see yourself moving to Madrid in the future?”

I stopped breathing for a good two minutes while I sorted through what he had just asked me. “You want me to move to Madrid?” I repeated to make sure I hadn’t heard him wrong.

“Yes,” Iker sounded a bit nervous. “Not right away if you don’t want. You can have time to think it through and try to find a job in Madrid but what I feel for you isn’t a casual fling or crush. I want to be with you if you do too.”

It wasn’t a marriage proposal but I knew that someday it would lead to it. He was committed to us and so was I. He knew the sacrifice he was asking me to make. I would have to learn a new language, move halfway around the world, leave my mom, my job, and my home…for him.

He was worth it.

“I want to be with you and yes I can see myself moving to Madrid but only to be with you. You’ll have to give me time though and it might be long so you’ll have to wait for me.”

Iker’s joyful voice came from the other end, “Te amo.”

“I love you mon amour.” I smiled feeling my heart lighten; we were going to make it. “Listen I have to go down for supper, I’ll talk to you tomorrow after the game.”

“Bye Ivy. I’ll hope for a Swiss victory.”

My smile widened and I didn’t want to get off the phone, “I know you’ll win tomorrow but I’ll still say good luck.”

*Iker POV*

The press wasn’t calming down and it was starting to get ugly. It was going to be impossible to get out of that door for our match if something wasn’t done.

“Christ! Could there be anymore reporters?” Carles Puyol commented as we stood waiting in the lobby. One of the assistant coaches was checking us out while Del Bosque was trying to clear a passage through the mob.

“You’ve really done it this time Iker,” added Jesus Navas.

“It’s not my fault,” I mumbled dropping my bag to the floor. At the rate this was going there was no way that we were going to make it on time to the game.

“I blame the Swiss,” grumbled Gerard Pique as he slouched into one of the chairs.

“That’s a new one,” Sergio laughed. When no one else did he explained, “Because of how they’re always neutral so you can’t really blame them for anything—this is funny stuff guys!”

“Maybe in your deranged mind,” Jesus replied.

“I’m not deranged,” Sergio huffed in offence.

“Wanna take a vote?” Cesc looked out the window eyeing the press in distaste. Sergio knew not to tempt fate so stayed quiet.

“We’re going to be trapped here forever.” Fernando pointed out the obvious. Del Bosque had had enough and came crashing through the crowd and back to us.

“You’re going to have to talk to them,” he said, giving me a pitying look. I turned to the crowd once more and saw the cameras flashing, pushing journalists, yelling, and all out madness.

“You’re kidding.” I could see he wasn’t but was hoping I was wrong.

“While you talk to them I’ll get the team onto the bus and then we’ll escort you there. Plus it might calm them down…a bit.” I turned a critical eye out the window. There was no way they were going to calm down unless they were dumped in some arctic ocean.

“Take one for the team Captain.” David was having way too much fun with this circumstance.

“I’m going to need security so I don’t get killed.” I squared my shoulders and tried to look like…well not scared shitless.

“He’s going to need a whole army!” Sergio couldn’t stop himself from saying and got quite a few head slaps from all the players next to him. “Ouch! I’m so sick of you guys hitting me!” He rubbed his head and glared as evilly as he could—which was pitiful to watch. “Because coach is here and I can’t offend his delicate nature I’m just going to say that I’m giving you the finger with my eyes.” Sergio opened his eyes really big and looked at the whole team to make sure that we all knew we had been flipped off by him.

Thinking that maybe it was safer to be outside then here with Sergio I waited till the security arrived and plowed my way outside. We made our way towards the middle of the front entrance and I was given space when they realized that I would talk.

“Mr. Casillas will now answer some of your questions,” shouted on of the security men over the press’s voices and camera flashes. “Please one at a time.”

“How did Miss Schmitz and you meet?”

“Are your countries mad?”

“Are you getting married?”

“What about Miss Carbonero? Is it over? Were you cheating?”

“How did your team react to the news?”

I held my hand up to try to get some order as I saw that the team was making their way to the bus. Only a few more minutes of this, I told myself as they screamed louder like I hadn’t heard them. The cameras were rolling and flashing. I hope I can see after this or it’s going to be a problem, I thought as another blinding light made me close my eyes.

“Please calm down.” I said loudly to be overheard, they surprisingly did and moved closer to hear me. “First off Miss Carbonera and I have been over for a while now so it was not cheating. I won’t tell you much about Miss Schmitz and I’s private life only that you should understand that we are like every other couple in the world and ask that you give us some privacy.” Like hell they were going to, I knew it and so did they but it was all part of the fame. I wasn’t about to pour our whole life story out to these idiots and when I saw Del Bosque waving I knew it was safe to wrap it up. “I’m here to play football and keep goals out which is what I’m going to do.” Flashing the cameras my most dazzling smile I finished, “Believe me when I say that our relationship can’t compare to football.”

Thanking them I swiftly made my way through to the bus and slipped inside. Safe at last I collapsed into the seat next to David. I hated the press, they always mad me feel drained after talking to them. You had to side step important information yet still give them something while acting cool, collected, polite, and cheerful. Basically you had to twist your words so they had double meanings. Like when I had said our relationship can’t compare to football. The real meaning was that Ivy was miles ahead of football.

But they didn’t know that.

*Ivy POV*

I was so happy that my phone had TV so that I could check on the Spanish while at the same time cheering for Switzerland. At half time I even watched the interview Iker had done and grinned at the words he had twisted around for their benefit.

The Swiss weren’t doing well. For some reason they just couldn’t get it together and attack. I was so happy when in the Spain match Villa and Iniesta scored in the first half, all the Swiss had to do was score once and they were through. The Swiss were natural defenders but when it came to attacking they were less adapt. They had a few chances and so did Honduras but we should have been beating them by now.

“God this is so frustrating!” I screamed at the sky when in the forty-eighth minute of play Chili got a goal because Iker couldn’t save it off a small deflection from his defender. Now it was two goals to go through and things were looking as bleak as before.

“Who are you talking to?” Sarah asked distractedly as her eyes were only on Tranquillo.

“Anyone who will listen!” I groaned. The fulltime whistle was blown and I could see the devastation of the Swiss players, they knew they had been close. Sarah and I went to find the team after the game offering support to their loss. I put my hand comfortingly over my father’s and saw Sarah hug Tranquillo tightly.

“I’m sorry dad.”

“At least we had that victory against Spain,” his eyes were sad but he knew he had at least done something right with that game. “That won’t soon be forgotten.” My father talked to his players and said how proud he was of them and that if he was coach again they would work more on the attack. The bus ride was silent everyone still thinking on their exit of the World Cup but I noticed that we weren’t going to the hotel.

“Where are we going?” I asked thinking that we were just switching hotels for the night. It wasn’t such a bother since everyone had packed their things on board for travel anyway.

“To the airport,” my dad replied angrily. “They want the team home as soon as possible.” He grunted. “Don’t care that we’re exhausted and don’t want to travel right now. With the bad economy they want us home so they don’t have to pay anything.”

My heart stopped at the words. I was going home and I would likely not see Iker for months. I tried dialing his number but couldn’t get through to him to explain what was happening. Every time it went to his voice mail and I realized that with his win he was probably partying with his teammates. I quickly brushed a stray tear from my eyes. It was ridiculous since we had agreed to stay together even with the distance but I had always though I would see Iker one last time before having to endure months of separation. Now it was impossible.

“Are you alright honey?” my dad asked.

“Fine.” I replied not in the mood to talk. We reached the airport in the dead of night, everyone looked like they were going to drop on their feet. I thought again how cruel it was to send us home now. I was feeling melancholy and a little sorry for myself. The bus diver started to pile our suitcases on the deserted, dark sidewalk of the airport and just as I was going to reach for mine a hand got there first.

“Going somewhere?” I looked up and encountered a pair of beautiful brown eyes that I knew as well as my own.

“Iker?” I gasped in disbelief. Was he really there or was my weary mind playing tricks on me? I looked over at him and saw that his hair was disheveled; he looked just as tired as me, and was wearing jeans and his goalie shirt. That was what finally convinced me that he was there. If he had been a mirage he would definitely not have his shirt on. “What are you doing here?” I didn’t really care about my father and the Swiss team being right next to me or the fact that Iker was carrying my suitcase, I flew into his arms. They pulled me close and I laid my ear over his strong heartbeat as he dropped the suitcase. I felt like I was home and nothing else mattered.

“I couldn’t let you leave,” Iker whispered into my hair, running those skillful hands up and down my back soothingly.

“How did you know I was leaving now? I couldn’t get through to you.” I leaned back so that I could just stare into his face and remember ever detail for the coming lonely months.

Iker smirked, “Sergio is an outrageous gossip. He found out from some FIFA employee and I must have rushed off so fast that I left my phone somewhere in my gym bag. I must tell you that I drove very fast and dangerously to get here on time.”

“I’m so glad you came so we can say goodbye,” I gave him a sad smile.

“Who said anything about goodbyes?” Iker lifted his hand and cupped my cheek. “I want you to stay here and follow the Spanish team…but mostly me.”

“Really!?” I threw my hands around his neck and kissed him excitedly. “I’d love to!” I heard a throat being cleared from behind me and we turned together to find my dad and the team staring at us. Iker said something in Spanish under his breath before he straightened and moved resolutely to my father with his hand outstretched.

“It’s an honor to meet you sir.” Iker met my dad’s gaze and didn’t even flinch when I’m sure my bully of a father shook his hand a little too firmly.

“Can’t say the same,” my dad replied.

“Dad!” I caught my breath at his rudeness.

“What are you’re intensions with Ivy?” This question didn’t come from my dad like I expected but Alexander.

“Alexander! It’s not your place to ask!” I cried horrified at the way they were treating poor Iker.

“She’s right,” my dad jumped in and I almost smiled in relief. “It’s mine, I’m the dad. What are your intentions with Ivy?”

“My attentions are true,” Iker said without delay. “I love her.”

My dad blinked rapidly, “Not you too!”

“Isn’t that what you want?” murmured Philippe.

“Shhh!” cried Tranquillo. “I think there’s going to be a fight!”

“Idiots!” came Alexander’s reply. “Ask him if he’ll marry her coach.”

“And if he has a nice house,” Diego added.

“And a puppy! I think Ivy would like a puppy.” Tranquillo looked pretty happy with his contribution to the conversation. I wanted the earth to swallow me up it was such an embarrassing situation.

“I’m so sorry about this,” I whispered to Iker, who only smiled in understanding.

“I can’t concentrate with your blabbering!” yelled my father. “Where was I?”

“Not me too,” Iker supplied.

“Oh yes, thank you. Not you too! You can’t love after three days!”

“It’s been more than that,” I interjected.

“With all due respect sir I am going to take Ivy with me if she agrees no matter what you say. However, since I love her and I know she loves you I would like to make her happy and ask for you blessing.” I bite my lip to keep from grinning in triumph.

“Damn he’s good,” said Philippe.

“Shut up or we’ll miss what happens next!” Tranquillo said gleefully still hoping for a fight.

My dad looked defeated, “Very well I’ll give you both my blessing on your relationship and Ivy staying.” He held up a finger and pointed it at Iker. “But if you hurt her you’re a dead man.”

“I second that,” Alexander said and was repeated by the rest of the guys. I felt my heart swell with affection at the loving men before me.

“I promise I won’t,” Iker said solemnly.

The matter settled, I quickly said goodbye to the team and my dad. My dad told me to be carful and to call if I needed anything. The guys make jokes and wished me fun, I had grown so close to them all that it was going to be strange not seeing them everyday. I was going to miss them all. When I got to Sarah I told her I would see her in Chicago in a few weeks if all went well but she surprised me by saying that she was staying in Switzerland for the whole summer. I grinned happily for her as I saw her glance almost shyly—that was new!—at Tranquillo.

I turned to Iker and took his hand.

*Iker POV*

We stayed the night in a hotel since it was no use trying to drive down to Pretoria to just go back down to Cape Town the next day. It was an enjoyable night free of the paparazzi and the pressure of the World Cup. We woke early the next morning and drove down to Cape Town. The team had arrived a few hours before us so naturally there was a horde of press outside and no side door.

Getting out of the car I took Ivy’s suitcase and then put my arm around her waist in an effort to protect her from the push of people that rushed us when they saw who we were.

“Are you staying with Iker now Miss Schmitz?”

“Is it really right for you to follow them after your own team left?”

“Are you getting married?”

What the hell was with the married question? It was always asked. Security, thankfully poured out of the hotel and were able to hold them off long enough for us to get to the shelter of the hotel.

“My god! There were hundreds of them!” cried Ivy still holding on tightly to me—not that I minded. I smiled in answer knowing the Swiss team didn’t usually have that many people around them. We made our way up to the floor designated for my team and were met by all the guys who were curious as to what Ivy was like. Most of the guys on the team could speak passing English so they were able to communicate. Ivy took it all very well laughing with them and strangely at ease yet some shyness still remained because she would sometimes take my arm or hold my hand. I guess her time with the Swiss players made it easier to adjust to the Spaniards. Sergio even pulled her in for a hug and I had to rescue her by telling them I was going to settle her in her room.

We moved away from the footballers and to the right of the huge floor where the section reserved for the wives, girlfriends, and children of the team were. I knew Ivy was aware that footballers weren’t allowed to be in the same room as their woman or else it might distract us—at least that’s what they told us. The only time we were allowed to share a room was the night after a game but everyone sneaked into their girl’s room once in a while.

“You’re going to be rooming with Nani,” I told her as we approached the door. “She is Sergio’s girlfriend.” Her jaw threatened to drop at that announcement. “I know, we were shocked too that Sergio could get one especially one that is mature.”

“I can hear you through the door,” said a voice from the other side in English. It opened to reveal an exotic black haired woman. “I prefer to think that we complement each other.” Nani smiled and looked over at Ivy. “Before anything I want to explain that yes I am 12 years older than Sergio and no I am not a cougar but if you have a problem with it than you’re better off staying in another room.”

I grimaced because it wasn’t the welcome I wanted for Ivy but I understood why she said it. There were a few traditional minded women that didn’t like Nani’s relationship with Sergio but tolerated her for the team, it was one of the reasons why she had a room alone. I now truly understood what she was going through, Sergio and Nani loved each other despite their age difference just like Ivy and I loved each other despite the rapidity of it. No one believed we could make it. All four of us would prove them wrong.

“If you love Sergio what does age have to do with it?” Ivy smiled gently.

Nani laughed as she pulled her into a huge hug, “We’re going to get along fabulously!”

I brought Ivy’s suitcase in and heaved it onto the spare bed as the woman chatted. I knew they were going to be good friends.

“I love your shoes! Where did you get them?” asked Nani gazing at Ivy’s purple pumps.

“Well that’s my cue to go,” I interrupted. “Have fun with girl stuff.”

“See you later Iker.” Ivy gave me a kiss before I left.

Practice went fast, repeating how to catch and do goal kicks. It was the usual but with a new urgency to make it better because it was now the Round of 16, no more points and no more mistakes. We all left tired but happy with our progress. When we got back to the hotel, Fernando, Sergio, Cesc, and Xavi came back to David and I’s room and we played some xbox. I wanted to look in on Ivy but knew she would want to get to know the girls without me hovering nearby. I had just beat Xavi once again at football when the door opened and Ivy came in.

“Sorry to disturb you but I needed to get out of my room,” Ivy said and we exchanged knowing glances.

“Nani’s talking to her grandmother,” Sergio stated looking as uncharacteristically worried.

“Yup.” Nani’s grandmother hated Sergio and called each day to try to get Nani to leave him, needless to say it usually turned into a screaming match between the two strong willed women.

“Join us,” Fernando said making room on the bed so she could sit and watch us play.

“I hate you Iker!” Sergio cried as I scored. “It’s not fair for a goalie to cyberly whoop my ass!”

“Who’s next?” I leaned back in my seat with a smirk.

“Me.” We all stared at Ivy.

“I wouldn’t if I were you,” Xavi warned.

“No one beats Iker,” David said.

She shrugged, “I will.”

“Very well cariño.” I handed her the controls and she sat next to me. I naturally picked Spain and she took…Portugal?

“What?” she asked innocently at my silent question. “I like Ronaldo.” Well that almost mad me a little jealous at the tiny smile she had when she said it. Ivy licked her lips and all of a sudden I was jealous of my Real Madrid teammate and friend that wasn’t even in the same room! We started the game and I was surprised to see that she knew what she was doing and even all the little tricks to the game that the guys had never picked up on.

“Damn that was so close!” yelled Cesc as Ivy’s shot was blocked by…well I cyber me.

“You’re suppose to be cheering me on,” I yelled at all my friends as they groaned when I scored on Ivy. “I’m your teammate!”

“Screw that, I want you to go down!” Sergio jumped up and down on the bed in excitement when Ivy countered and scored.

“You shouldn’t have underestimated me Iker,” Ivy smiled as she tackled one of my players and got away with it.

“Hey! Foul!” I screamed waving a hand in the air. “You bribed the ref!”

“Did not!” Ivy said in outrage. “I’m just better.”

I managed to level the score before the half time and ask curiously, “How are you this good?”

“My dad is a football nut and I spend a month with him, what do you think we do?” Ivy lifted a delicate eyebrow that had all the guys laughing. “Plus I thought you would have learned by now not to underestimate the Swiss.”

God she looked so sexy! Concentrate, I yelled to myself. She is trying to distracted you with her body! Well for the first time in my life I lost and it didn’t help my pride that the player that was my downfall was Ronaldo.

Ivy came to sit next to me and gave me a kiss, “I still love you chèri.” It was sad that I found myself melting at her endearment as my friends celebrated the downfall as my reign as King of the Xbox.

Nani interrupted by entering the room, “It’s safe now, the old goat is off the phone!”

*Ivy POV*

Later that evening I went to get Iker’s opinion of my outfit. I knew it was silly but it was the first time that all of the team was going to be their along with their significant other and I wanted to look good. I opened his room door and didn’t find him or David inside.

“Iker, are you here?” I called stepping out of the hall and closing the door.

“I’m here,” came his sexy accented voice from the bathroom.

“I need your help with something,” I said nervously patting down the plain red cotton dress that I was wearing. It was nothing fancy but still nice and clung to my body perfectly to give it an elegant look. The door opened so I said, “Do you think this is nice enou…”

I couldn’t continue because Iker had come out only wearing a towel that was ridding low on his lean hips. I had seen Fernando a couple weeks ago just like this and I hadn’t reacted like I was now at all. My mouth went dry and my pulse went racing. I was staring at his wet hair and glistering muscles like a starved woman. Every inch of his body was pure muscle and power!

“Ivy.” Could his voice be any huskier? “You’ve seen me with less than this towel before remember?” I made some sound of agreement in the back of my throat because I couldn’t find my voice. “Either you stop looking at me like that or you come kiss me right now.” That was really no choice at all, I quickly went to him and pulled his head down for a scorching kiss. I didn’t care that my dress got wet because Iker pulled me against his chest, I wanted the closeness as much as him. Somehow we ended up on the bed with Iker kissing, nipping, and licking my neck in a way that had me forgetting my own name—but never his.

“Wait Iker,” I managed to say and weakly tried to push him off me. “What about the dinner and David?” Iker groaned as he got off of me and locked the door.

“Screw dinner and David can sleep with his wife tonight.” I shouldn’t have worried about my dress because I didn’t even step foot downstairs.

Instead my dress was thrown unceremoniously on the floor, followed by Iker’s towel.