Status: Active.(: and thank you to my friend, trishapocalypse, for getting me into The Maine! i love you! <3

I'm Amazed That I Got This Far

Number Fourteen.

John's P.O.V.

"So, what now?" I asked Kalen, as we ended up back to my car, that was in the abandoned parking lot.

"We could go exploring by ourselves?" Kalen suggested, as I leaned against my car.

"It's dark out?" I said slowly. "You're not scared?"

"Not really. I walk by myself in Phoenix." She shrugged.

"But this isn't Phoenix." I stated. "The last thing I want is for you to get hurt."

"I'll be fine." She sighed. "Just give me a call a little later. I want to go check out the city. The part we didn't check out."

"Okay." I nodded. "Call me if something goes wrong or if you want me to meet you somewhere."

"Yes, Dad." She smiled.

"Alright." I chuckled, before kissing her forehead. "I'll catch up with you later."

"Okay." She nodded, as she started down the sidewalk.

Once she rounded the corner and was out of my sight, I sighed, and looked around me. There were tons of shops and cafes, which didn't really interest me. I took off the hoddie I was wearing, and tossed it in my car, before shutting and locking the doors. I started across the parking lot, and once I made sure the street was clear, I walked across it. I started down the sidewalk, as I met the faces of Tempe people.

Tempe felt a lot different that Phoenix; especially at night time. Different people were out, and I didn't know what kind of people. I could be walking next to a fucking psycho right now, and never know. I could be passing up crackheads and I'd never know. I could be passing up guys that needed a band member, and I would never know.

I came to Tempe for a reason, so now I have to go look for what I want, which is a band.

I continued to walk down the sidewalk, trying to avoid running into people, and I rounded the corner. Half of the street lights were burnt out as I looked down the street, and no one was down there, but I decided to go anyway. I looked around at the small shops, and I saw mostly older people in them, talking and laughing over coffee. I looked in another cafe, that looked like it was for teens, and there were a bunch of kids in there, sitting around laptops and laughing at something on the screen.

I sighed softly and opened the door, before walking inside, seeing if I could find something that I could do. I walked around the small cafe, making my way around beanbags that were occupied by kids, with drinks in their hands. Half of the people in the cafe looked over at me like I was a fucking alien, probably because they could tell I had no idea what I was doing in there.

I looked over at the far wall and saw a bulletin board, with papers on it. I went over there and started to look at them, reading some of the them, until I found one that caught my attention. There was a show going on at a club somewhere around the area, and I looked at the clock that was hanging on the wall of the cafe. The show just started a half hour ago, and I pulled the paper off of the bulletin board, before going over to a guy, that was sitting on a stool.

"Hey, excuse me." I said, as I stood next to him. "Sorry to interrupt."

"No, it's cool, bro." He replied, as he looked at me. "What's up?"

"I'm new here and I was wondering if you could give me directions." I said, as I handed him the flyer.

"Oh, I got you." He nodded. "Just go down this street that we're on right now, hang a left, and it should be right there. There's a neon sign with the club's name on it."

"Do you have to be 21 to get in for the show?" I asked.

"Naw, as long as you pay to go to the show, I think you're good." He shrugged.

"Okay, thanks." I said.

"No problem, bro." He said.

I sent him a small smile, before walking out of the cafe, and continuing down the street I was on. More people seemed to be coming down this street, which didn't make me feel so awkward or nervous. I wasn't scared to be alone on the street, but it was just that I wasn't in Phoenix, where I knew pretty much everything around me and what it was about. I knew the kind of people that were there and I knew what type of things went on, and I didn't here, so that made me nervous, especially because Kalen was out alone.

I knew Kalen would call me if something went wrong, and I knew she could take care of herself, but it still scared me. I mean, it'd be my fault if something happened to her, because I just let her go by herself. I didn't want her to feel like I was keeping her on a leash; that was the last thing I wanted to do. She just meant a lot to me and I have really strong feelings for her, and I just don't want to lose her. But if she thinks she's fine, I know she will be.

When I finally rounded the corner of the street, I turned left and started down the crowded sidewalk. I saw a neon sign that said "FRENCHY'S CLUB", and went over to the door. People were coming in and out like cattle, and I stood behind a few people that were going in.

"Are you 21?" A guy asked me, as he stopped me at the door.

"No, I, uhm, was coming to see the show." I told him. "Is that cool?"

"That's fine." He said.

"How much is it?" I questioned, as I pulled out my wallet.

"Just go. You don't look like trouble, so I won't make you pay." He smiled.

"Thanks." I chuckled, before walking inside the bar.

People were everywhere, lights were flashing, people were dancing, and a loud band was playing on the stage. I looked around to try and find somewhere to lean against the wall, or sit in a chair. I started to walk through the mass of sweaty people, getting shoved or pushed, before I finally got to a safe place where there were barely any people. I went over to the bar and took a seat on a stool, as I started to watch the band that was playing on stage.

"Can I get you something to drink?" A woman asked, as she leaned over the bar counter.

"Oh. No, thank you." I said politely.

"How old are you, kid?" She smiled. "You don't look a day over 12."

"I'm, uh. I'm 18." I said.

"Cute. I have a daughter that's 18." She said.

"Oh, really?" I said slowly, not even sure why she was telling me this.

"Yeah. You like brunettes?" She asked.

"I, uh, have a girlfriend, sorry." I smiled, trying to make my lie sound at least somewhat believable.

"Awe, suit yourself. She's a keeper." She chuckled.

I laughed slightly and nodded, before turning around on the stool, so I was facing the stage. The band that was on reminded me a lot of The Rolling Pebbles. They sucked big time. They didn't have the right lyrics to get people into the music, and people were just pushing and shoving each other to the sound of loud drums and guitars. I sighed to myself, before looking towards the door of the bar.

A ton of people started coming in, mostly older people who would probably be drinking at the bar, so I thought it might be best if I found somewhere else to sit. I got up from the stool I was on, and walked over to a small table with two chairs, before sitting down in one of them. I leaned back into the chair and pulled my cell phone out of my pocket. I checked to see if Kalen called or texted me. Nothing.

I slid my phone back into the pocket of my jeans and ran a hand over my hair, as I saw a girl coming over to me. She was holding a drink in her hand, as she ran her free hand through her straight, blond hair. Her legs looked like they were glued together, considering how tight her short skirt was, and she tugged the bottom of her top down, before she sat down across from me, in the vacant seat.

"Can I sit here?" She asked.

"Uhm, uh." I stuttered. "Yeah, sure."

"Thanks." She said, before scooting her chair over to me. "What's your name?"

"I'm John." I introduced myself, as her bare leg touched mine.

"Hi, John. I'm Vanessa." She said. "But you can call me Nessa."

"Uh, okay." I nodded. "Hi."

"Hi." She smiled.

I smiled slightly at her, already getting slightly awkward. I wasn't really one to have a girl just randomly sit next to me and start talking. My heart beat started to pick up, and I slowly scooted over, so my seat was now against the wall. I tapped my fingers on the table, wishing that Kalen would call me or something, to save me from the already awkward situation.

"You're kinda cute." Vanessa giggled, as she touched my arm.

"Tha-Thank you." I said, smiling politely, as I moved my arm away from her, and into my lap. "Not to sound rude but...are you drunk...?"

"No." She said, before laughing. "This is only my second drink."

"Oh, uhm. Okay." I nodded slowly.

"So, what are you doing here alone, John?" Vanessa asked, before taking a sip of her drink.

"I'm new here, so I'm kind of just looking around." I replied. "My friend went to go look around the city, so I just came here."

"So, you're here with your friend." She stated. "That's cool. Did you just move?"

Isn't that what 'I'm new here.' means?

"Yeah." I nodded. "We just got here yesterday."

"Oh, sweet." She grinned, as she scooted closer to me, making me become extremely awkward.

"Uhm, yeah." I said.

"You're really cute." She smiled.

"Thanks..." I said slowly. "How old are you?"

"I'm 21." She said. "How old are you?"

"Oh..." I said. "I'm 22."

You lying sack of shit.

"You don't even look like you're old enough to drink." She giggled, as she wrapped her arms around my right arm. "Can I buy you a drink?"

"I, uhm..." I said, as I looked over to the stage. "I don't drink..."

"Why not?" She asked.

"I...just got out of rehab..." I lied. "So I'm not drinking."

"Oh, rehab. I like a bad boy." She said.

"Ha, uhm. Uh, yeah." I said, as I slowly took my arm out of her grasp.

"So, are you single?" She wondered.

"Yeah." I said, before smiling at the thought of Kalen. "But there's this girl..."

"Oh." She said, sounding somewhat disappointed.

I just nodded and sighed, as I felt myself start to sweat. It didn't help that this club was fucking hot as hell and that I was awkward and nervous. I started to pull at the collar of my shirt, so I could try and cool myself off and get some air, hopefully not being too obvious that I was pulling lies out of my ass, whenever this tipsy girl asked me a simple question.

"Are you okay?" Vanessa asked, as she set her hand on my arm.

"I'm fi-I'm fine." I told her, as I continued to tug at the collar of my shirt. "Just a little hot..."

"Why don't you take off one of your shirts?" She suggested.

"I'm alright. Thanks." I said.

"You look kind of tense." She commented.

"No, I'm not." I said, chuckling slightly. "Just a little uncomfortable."

"Well, here." She said, as she reached for the top button of my shirt.

I started to giggle awkwardly, as I scooted away from her. "I...think I-I'm okay." I replied, sounding like I couldn't find the words to say, as my voice raised an octave.

"Are you sure?" She asked.

I nodded and didn't say anything, as I grabbed her hand and pulled it away from my shirt.

"So, John," Vanessa sighed. "Where are you staying?"

"In my car..." I replied, as I adjusted my shirt. "I don't have anywhere I'm really staying."

"Why don't you come to my place?" She suggested.

"Oh, thanks, but my friend's with me." I said.

"I have a two bedroom apartment. Your friend could stay in the guest room." She said.

"And you'd let me stay on the couch?" I asked.

"No. You could sleep with me." She said. "In my bed."

I felt my eyes bulge out of my head, as my eyes shot over to meet her's. The next thing I knew, I spilled her drink, that was sitting on the table, and it landed in her lap. She screamed as the cold liquid and ice fell in between her legs, and onto the floor, as she stood up.

"I'm s-so sorry." I panicked, as I got some napkins from the holder, that was sitting on the table. "Here."

I held the napkins out to Vanessa, and she looked at me, as if I was supposed to dry her lap off. I just stared at her for a few seconds, before she ripped the napkins out of my hand and started to dry herself off. I felt my face heat up from embarrassment, and I wiped my shirt sleeve across my forehead, as I let out a sigh.

"I'm sorry." I apologized.

"It's okay." She giggled.

"Do you want me to buy you another drink?" I asked. "I mean, it's no trouble."

"You can just make it up to me by staying at my place." She smiled.

"Not...in the same bed." I said.

"And why not?" She asked, as she put her hands on her hips.

"I...I'm a big kicker." I lied, as I looked down at the table. "It's really kind of awkward to sleep with me."

"Well, you can just stay at my place." She said.

"Uhm, thanks." I said slowly. "Can my friend come?"

"Yeah, sure." She said, with a smile.

"Thanks. I better give them a call." I sighed, before pulling out my phone, to call Kalen.

Kalen's P.O.V.

I left the small bookstore that I was just in, and started down the sidewalk. I actually think I'm starting to like Tempe. The people were really nice, they had some cute stores, and it just seemed like a nice place. Maybe I won't regret coming here; well, I was hoping I wouldn't.

I sighed to myself, as I felt my cell phone going off in my pocket. I pulled it out, before looking at the name that was flashing across the screen. John.

"Hello?" I said, once I answered it.

"Hey, what's up?" John asked.

"Just came out of a bookstore." I replied. "You?"

"Just left this club thing where a show was." He said. "I met some girl and she's totally letting us crash at her place for as long as we need to. I told her I had a friend that was here with me, and she said you can come."

"I don't know, John." I said, as I bit my lip. "We don't know anyone here. What if it's a bad idea?"

"There's two of us; what could go wrong?" He asked. "Where are you at? I'll come pick you up. The girl lives in Harlington Place or something like that?"

"I don't know where I am..." I said, as I looked around for some street signs. "Uhm...I'm on the corner of Harris St. and Tiller Avenue."

"Okay, I'll be right there." He said. "Once I, ya know, find it..."

"Okay." I chuckled. "Bye."

"Bye." He said, with a laugh, before I hung up.

I knew John probably didn't remember to get directions for wherever Harlington Place was, so I started to look around for a nice person that I could ask. I stood around on the corner, as people passed me, and I studied their faces, trying to see if it would be a good idea to ask them a questions. Personally, I didn't feel like getting raped or jumped.

A few minutes later, I looked down the sidewalk to see a small guy with long brown hair, coming towards me. He had his hands at his sides, and looked like he wouldn't hurt a fly. He looked over at me and once he saw me looking at him, he sent me a polite smile, which I returned.

"Excuse me." I said, as I stopped him. "Sorry to bug you."

"Oh, no." The guy smiled. "Don't worry about it."

"I was wondering if you could tell me how to get to Harlington Place?" I wondered. "I'm new here and my friend and I are heading over there."

"The apartment buildings? Yeah, sure." He nodded. "If you just keep going down the street we're on, Harris Street, when you get to Turner Road, you take a right. Then you hang a left at the stop sign and just keep going down and you should be able to find it."

"Thank you." I smiled.

"You're welcome." He said, before extending his hand. "I'm Pat and welcome to Tempe."

"Kalen and thanks." I said, as I shook his hand.

"Where did you come from?" He asked.

"My friend and I came from Phoenix." I replied.

"Oh, that's not too far." He nodded. "Do you need a ride or anything?"

"No, no. Thanks." I said politely. "My friend's picking me up."

"Oh, alright. Well, I hope my directions helped." He smiled.

"I'm sure they will. Thank you." I said, before waving.

The Pat guy waved back, before he went around the corner, and continued onward. I stood on the corner for a few more minutes, before John's car pulled up to the curb. I went over to it and opened the passenger side door, before getting inside.

"I got directions for you." I said, as I looked at John.

"Dammit, I knew I forgot something." He smiled. "Thanks."

"You're welcome." I sighed. "Just keep going down this street. What was that girl like?"

"She looked like a fucking hooker." He stated. "She really weirded me out, but it's a place to stay, so. And she thinks I'm 22, so, sh."

"You told her you were 22?!" I exclaimed. "You don't even look that old!"

"I know but she's 21 and I didn't want her to feel like a cradle robber!" He said. "And I just want a bed to sleep in!"

"Whatever, John." I smiled.

When John and I finally got to Harlington Place, John parked his car, and we got out. We went to the apartment building that the girl told John she was in, and we went to her room, before John knocked on the door. A few seconds later, a girl with blond hair, that was wearing a pair of short shorts and a tank top, opened the door. She looked at John with a smile, before looking at me.

"Hi, Vanessa." John said. "This is my friend, Kalen. Kalen, this is Vanessa."

"Hi." I said slowly.

"Hi." Vanessa said rudely. "Uhm, John, I thought you had a friend. Not some girl that you're probably fucking."

"She is my friend, excuse you." John said, raising his voice. "And I'm not 'fucking her'. The only fucking reason you invited me here was so that I would probably get in bed with you."

"Whatever. I'm not going to let another girl stay here." She said, before shrugging. "But you're welcome to stay here, John."

"I don't think that's going to work." He said.

"Just go, John." I said. "Give me the keys to your car and I'll sleep there."

"Oh, that's nice of you." Vanessa smiled. "Come on, John."

"Kalen, no. I'm not going to leave you in my fucking car!" John exclaimed. "And I'm not going to sleep with that thing just because I want a bed!"

"Excuse you?!" She scoffed. "Who are you calling a thing?"

"Whatever. Thanks, Vanessa." John said, as he put his hand on my waist. "Let's go, Kalen. We're back to square one."

Vanessa huffed, before slamming her apartment door shut, and John and I walked out of her building. The two of us went out to John's car, and he unlocked the doors, before we got in. The two of us reclined our seats back, once we shut the doors and got situated.

"Goodnight, Kalen." John said. "And sorry about that girl; you were right."

"It's okay, John." I said. "Don't worry about it. Goodnight."

I felt John reach over and take my hand in his, before squeezing it lightly. I squeezed his back and sighed softly, before closing my eyes, and falling asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
thank you to everyone who has commented and subscribed!

i love each and every one of you!(:

and thank you to my friend trishapocalypse for alll of her help! i love you! <3 go check out her stuff! it's amazing!