Status: Active.(: and thank you to my friend, trishapocalypse, for getting me into The Maine! i love you! <3

I'm Amazed That I Got This Far

Number Fifteen.

The next morning, I opened my eyes and sat up in the car seat, reclining it back up. I rubbed my eyes, as I looked over at John, to see him still asleep. I grabbed my phone from the cup holder and looked at the time, before sighing and resting my head against the car seat. A few minutes later, I heard John stir in the driver's seat, before he slowly sat up, yawning loudly.

"Good morning, sunshine." He smiled, as he looked at me.

"Good morning." I said, with a small smile. "How did you sleep?"

"Good." He nodded. "You?"

"Fine." I sighed.

"I really want to sleep in a bed." He whined. "Sleeping in my car fucking sucks."

"Hey, this was your idea; don't whine to me." I shrugged.

"That's true." He mumbled. "But it's not like you like sleeping in a car."

"But we can't just live in a hotel, John." I replied. "We don't have the money to do that."

"I know." He said, sighing loudly. "I should've had a job before doing this."

"Probably." I giggled.

"Well, too late now." He chuckled. "Want to go grab some breakfast?"

"Yeah." I nodded. "And I need to shower."

"I know. Me too." He said. "We could find a truck stop or something?"

"But there's other guys there and ew." I said, shuddering at the thought of showering with creepy, old strangers.

"It's not like I'm going to let them shower with you." He said. "I mean, aren't there girl truck drivers?"

"Honestly, I've never seen one." I said, as he started his car.

"Well, we'll get you a shower." He said. "Don't worry about it, sweet cheeks."

"Okay." I said slowly, letting out a small laugh.

"You don't like your new nickname?!" He gasped, before smiling.

"It's great...really." I chuckled.

"Psh, you hate it." He frowned.

"Just drive somewhere, John." I smirked, as I looked out the window.

"Fine. Use me for rides." He joked. "I get it, Kalen."

"Yeah...I use you for rides when I have my own car." I said. "Well...used to have a car until someone fucking talked me into going to Tempe!"

"Hey, you said you like it here!" John stated.

"It'd be nicer if we had a place to stay!"

"I will find you a place to stay!"

"Then get to it." I smiled.

"After we find something to eat." He said. "Cause I'm starving."

"Well, where do you want to go?" I asked.

"McDonald's again?" He suggested. "Since you're so paranoid about running out of money."

"If you didn't have me, you'd already be broke." I said. "So don't act like you don't need me. If you didn't have me, you'd be fucking Vanessa for a damn bed."

He laughed loudly and pulled out of the parking lot. "She probably has like eight different diseases up in there; I'd rather not."

"Oh, whatever, John." I chuckled.

John rolled his eyes and smiled, before taking off down the street. The two of us were silent, as John drove and I looked out the window. I watched as we passed buildings, trees, and the residents of Tempe before I let out a small sigh. John was right; I didn't want to sleep in a car. We had to, though. We didn't have enough money to stay at a hotel for a week and have money to feed ourselves and buy things we actually needed.

I mean, John wanted adventure, and that's what he got. Adventure. No house, no parents, no shower, finding our own food that we had to get out, since we had nowhere to store anything, and just the clothes he packed in his suitcase. I don't think he knew it was going to be this difficult, but he had to of. He knew his parents weren't going to be here to take care of him, and it's not like they were going to send us welcome home gifts to make everything easier.

"Hey, Kay." John said, bringing me out of my thoughts and back into reality.

"Yeah?" I sighed, as I looked over at him.

"Do you think things are...different?" He asked curiously, as he concentrated on the road.

"What do you mean?" I replied. "What kind of things?"

"Like us." He shrugged. "Do you feel like we're somewhat an 'item' or just best friends?"

"I mean, we haven't really been in a situation that makes us feel...together." I said.

"Yeah, this isn't really romantic..." He trailed off. "Is it?"

"John, we sleep in a fucking car." I smiled. "Which is the farthest thing from romantic."

"That's true." He said, with a slight frown.

"But I think we're closer." I nodded.

"You don't think the holding hands thing is awkward or anything?" He wondered. "Since we've been friends for like, ever?"

"No." I said. "Why? Do you?"

"Yes." He said sarcastically. "That's why I always want to hold your hand...because it's super fucking awkward."

"Shut up." I smiled. "I was just asking."

"I know." He chuckled. "I was just answering."

I rolled my eyes and laughed to myself, before looking back out the window. About 10 minutes later, John pulled into a McDonald's parking lot. He pulled into the spot closest to the door, and turned off his car. The two of us climbed out and walked to the door, before John held it open for me. I thanked him and he smiled, as he came in behind me, and we went over to the counter. We both ordered our food and John paid, while I went over to get sugars for our coffees and everything else we needed for our breakfast.

"Do you just want to sit at a table instead of outside today?" John asked, as he grabbed our tray of food and coffee.

I nodded and the two of us walked to the back of the dining area. We went over to the last booth, that was located in the corner, and sat down across from each other. I scrunched up my nose and I used a napkin to brush off the crumbs, that were left by the people before us, off of the table. I tossed the crumpled up napkin back onto the tray, and John looked at me, before smiling.

"What?" I asked, as I grabbed my coffee and breakfast.

"You're such a germaphobe." He chuckled.

"Stop making fun of me." I whined. "Sorry that I don't want the area where I eat to be dirty."

"It's cute." He smiled.

"Stop!" I groaned, as I covered my cheeks. "You're making me blush!"

"I didn't even kiss you this time and you're turning red!" He teased.

"John, stop." I laughed.

"Fine, fine. Sorry." He grinned. "But I was wondering something."

"And what's that?"

"You know how we spend like nothing on food?" He asked, before he took a bite of his McMuffin.

"Yep. That's what happens when you're broke as shit." I nodded.

He smiled, before rolling his eyes. "Well, how about tonight we go on a date."

"Like...a date?" I said slowly, as I looked at him.

"Yes." He chuckled. "As in me and you going on a date to a semi-expensive place."

"Like a dinner date?" I clarified.

"Yes, Kay." He smiled. "Do you want to?"

"Yeah, sure." I said, with a small smile. "What place do you have in mind?"

"Well, I've never really eaten dinner here before, so..." He trailed off. "I don't know. We'll find somewhere."

"Don't make it too nice; I don't have any nice clothes." I informed him.

"I don't either. Who fucking cares what we wear." He shrugged.

"We'll look really out of place?"

"Who cares." He smiled. "People can say and think what they want. We're not hurting anyone, are we?"

"No..." I said slowly.

"Exactly. So, eat your little breakfast thing, and we'll get showers, and try and find some place to eat dinner." He said.

"So, you think we're going to be looking around all day for a place to eat dinner?"

"Well, I need the perfect place for the perfect girl, don't I?" He said, before grinning. "John can't disappoint."

"Wherever is fine with me, John." I sighed. "You know that."

"Yeah, but wherever is not fine with me." He stated. "We need actual dinner. Not a fucking turkey sandwich and potato chips."

"Whatever you say." I smiled, as I tossed my trash into the bag. "I'm ready."

"Same." John nodded, as he grabbed the bag of our garbage. "Let's head out."

I nodded and picked up my half filled coffee cup, as John did the same. He tossed the bag into the garbage can, before the two of us walked outside, back into the Arizona heat. John unlocked the doors of his car, and the two of us climbed in, and John started to look around the inside of his car.

"What are you doing?" I asked, as I watched him stick his arm in between the seats.

"I'm looking for my phone." He said. "Have you seen it?"

"It's not my day to watch it." I smirked.

He looked up at me and smiled. "Can you call it?"

I nodded and grabbed my phone out of the cup holder, to see that it was turned off. I held down the power button, waiting for it to turn on, and sighed loudly after it didn't turn on.

"What?" John said, as I looked at me, his arm still wedged in between the seats.

"My phone isn't turning on." I said, as I continued to hold the power button down.

"Did it die?" He asked.

"No it was almost fully charged." I replied, as I hit it against my palm. "I've barely used it."

"What the fuck." He said, as I handed it to him. "Are you sure it was charged?"

"Yes, John." I nodded. "I know what a charged battery in the right corner of the screen looks like."

"Just checking." He smiled, as he held up his hands in defense. "Did it break?"

"I didn't drop it." I shrugged. "It was working this morning!"

"Maybe it's disconnected?" He said slowly. "Your fucking parents disconnected your phone just this afternoon?"

"I guess so!" I said, as I took it back from him. "What if I get raped or something and have no one to call!?"

"They obviously won't care." He stated. "But that's not going to happen because if your phone doesn't work, you're not going anywhere without me."

"Does your phone work?" I asked.

"I'll tell you once I find it." He replied, as he reached his arm down, to feel around for his phone on the floor.

"Uhm, John. You're sitting on it." I smiled.

"Right." He said, as he grabbed it from under his butt. "I knew that."

"Okay then." I chuckled.

"I was just seeing if you would look at my tush." He said casually.

"Right..." I said slowly. "That's why you put it there."

He sent me a smile, before starting up his car and sighing. "Time to go get a shower."

"Yes." I nodded.

John pulled out of his parking spot, before taking off down the street. He drove around the streets of Tempe, trying to find a truck stop, and once we found one, John pulled into the parking lot, and parked his car. We hopped out and went into the building, and over to the counter, where a woman with black hair and a fair amount of wrinkles was standing.

"How can I help you two?" She asked, as she looked at us, with a smile.

"Hi." John said politely. "Can we shower here? I know, we're not truck drivers, but we're kind of living out of my car right now and...we haven't showered for a couple days."

The woman gave him a look, before looking at me, and then back at him. "You're living out of your car?"

"Yeah...we left home." He said slowly. "We're from Phoenix."

"Well, I'm not supposed to do this, but I guess I'll let you two shower here." She said, with a shrug. "Just no taking too long; there are truckers that will be coming and I'll hold them until you two get out, since you have a lady with you."

"Thanks." John smiled. "We really appreciate it."

"No problem, sweetie." She said. "Here's the key."

I took the key from her, as John ran outside, to go get clothes for us out of our suitcases. The lady at the counter and I had some small talk, before John came back in. The two of us went into the room where the showers were, and John shut and locked the door behind us.

"So...no peeking?" John smiled.

"None." I chuckled, as I took my clothes from him.

"You got it, sister." He nodded.

"This is so nasty." I said, as I looked in the shower. "And awkward."

"Just a tad." He laughed. "But let's just get this over with and hopefully this is the first and last time we shower at a truck stop."

I nodded and John and I went to our showers that were a few away from each other. I turned on the water and stripped down, before getting in. I ran my hands through my hair, trying to clean it really well, since we didn't have any shampoo, conditioner or body wash. Smart, right?

Once I was done, I turned off the water, and grabbed my clothes. I tugged them onto my soaking wet body, as John did the same with his. When the two of us were finished, we left the room and went back over to the counter.

"Thank you so much." John smiled, as he handed the clerk the key.

"No problem, doll." The woman said. "You two have a good day."

"You too." I replied, before John and I walked out of the building.

We went back over to John's car, and we tossed our dirty clothes into our suitcases, that were in John's trunk. I got back into the passenger seat, and John got in the driver's seat, as I started to brush out my wet hair. John ran a hand through his hair, and I handed him my hair brush for him to use.

"Thanks." He said, as he took it from me.

"Welcome." I sighed. "So, what now?"

"I guess we're going to go look for a place to eat dinner now." John shrugged. "And then...occupy ourselves until dinnertime. Sound good?"

"Sounds good to me." I nodded.

"Okay." He smiled.

He backed out of his parking spot, and drove to the exit of the lot. He pulled out onto the main street, once the road was clear, and we headed down the street, in search of a nice restaurant to eat at later tonight.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry nothing interesting really happened in this chapter. i just really needed to write for this story, before i decided to lose interest in it.(: the next chapter will be better, i promise! :D

thank you to everyone who has commented and subscribed!

i love you all!<3