Status: Active.(: and thank you to my friend, trishapocalypse, for getting me into The Maine! i love you! <3

I'm Amazed That I Got This Far

Number Twenty-Four.

John's P.O.V.

As I stepped out of the shower, I grabbed a towel and wrapped it around my waist. I grabbed Kalen's brush off the bathroom vanity and ran it through my hair a few times, before setting it down and leaving the bathroom. I made my way into mine and Kalen's room, being careful not to slip on the tile, since my feet were still wet, and once I got into the room, I went over to the closet. I looked through my clothes a few times, before pulling out a white v-neck and black jeans. I tossed them on my bed and put on my boxers as I heard my phone vibrating from the nightstand.

I grabbed my jeans and stuck my leg in, as I made my way to my cell phone. I groaned as my foot got caught in the leg of my jeans, and I nearly fell over. My phone vibrated a few more times, and I rolled my eyes.

"Hang on!" I yelled, even though I knew they couldn't hear me.

I stood all the way back up and tugged my pants on, before grabbing my phone and answering it. "Hello?"

"John?" A girl said.

"Yes?" I said slowly, as I sat down on the bed.

"Do you know who this is?" She asked.

"You...sound familiar." I nodded, even though she couldn't see me. "Who is this?"

"It's Kayla."

"Kayla? As in, Kalen's sister?" I questioned.

"Yeah." She said. "Is Kalen there?"

"She's actually at work." I said, as I looked over at the clock. "She should be home in a couple hours."

"Oh." She replied, her voice quiet.

"Did you want me to tell her anything special?" I wondered, before pulling on my shirt.

"No." She sighed. "I'll just call later or something."

"Oh, uhm. Okay." I said. "I guess I'll talk to you later then?"

"Yeah. Okay." She said.

"Bye, Kayla." I said.

As I was about to hang up the phone, Kayla stopped me. "John, wait!"

"Yeah?" I said, as I put my phone back to my ear.

"Can I talk to you?" She asked.

I couldn't help but smile. "Yeah. What's up?"

"How...is it there?" She wondered.

"I really like it." I said, nodding again, as I laid back on my bed.

"Kalen's working?"

"We met a guy who's letting us stay with him." I explained. "And he got Kalen a job."

"Oh." She said quietly. "Well, that's good, I guess."

"Yeah." I said, as I let out a sigh. "Kayla, listen. I'm really sorry that Kalen left. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings."

"It's okay." She replied. "If Kalen really didn't want to go, she wouldn't have. I'm not mad at you."

"You're not?" I asked, sitting back up.

"No." She said. "You left to be happy. So did Kalen."

"But are you happy?" I said slowly.

"It doesn't matter if I'm happy or not." She said, heaving a sigh. "It won't make Kalen come back."

I frowned slightly, once again, knowing that Kayla couldn't see me, before she continued. "I mean, in a few months she would be out of here. You and her would be off to college and I would still never see her. So, it wouldn't be much different than it is now."

"Yeah." I said quietly, not knowing what else to say.

"Do you ever want to come home?" She questioned.

"Kayla, to be completely honest...I think this is home." I told her. "I really don't plan on going back to Phoenix."

"I understand." She said. "But, when I get a little older, would I be able to stay with you guys for a few days?"

I laughed slightly. "I don't see why not."

"Okay." Kayla said, sounding a little happier than before. "Thanks, John."

"You're welcome, Kayla." I smiled.

Kalen's P.O.V.

"Ready to head back to the apartment?" Eric asked, as he slid off the counter.

"Yeah." I nodded, as I stacked the last CD. "Can we run to the store first?"

"Oh, for your girl stuff?" He smiled. "Sure."

"Thanks." I said with a slight laugh, as I carried the brown, cardboard box to the back.

I threw it by all of the other empty boxes, before going back out to the front. Eric took his car keys out of his pocket and we stood around for a few minutes, until the girl that was working the next shift came in. Eric and I walked outside and over to his car, before getting in. He started his car, pulled out of his parking spot, and took off towards the store.

"So, what'd you think of the first day at work?" Eric asked curiously, as he grabbed a cart, once we walked into the grocery store.

"Not bad." I smiled. "It was entertaining."

"Are you saying that just because I fell off the ladder?" He laughed. "That was an accident, I promise."

"Pretty much." I chuckled.

"I fell! I could've broken a bone!" He exclaimed, as he looked at me.

"And?!" I smiled.

"And you laughed at me!" He said, before letting out a laugh. "What a good friend you are!"

"If you were really hurt, Eric, I wouldn't laugh." I said, rolling my eyes. "I'm not that mean."

"Let's hope not." He smirked. "So, what are your plans for tonight?"

"Going to band practice with John." I sighed. "What about you?"

"Band practice with my boys." Eric replied. "Are you guys going to be home in time for dinner?"

"What time do you have dinner, Mom...?" I smiled.

"Anytime, really." He chuckled. "I mean, I'm not a great cook. TV dinners are good for me! I just wasn't sure if you guys were going to eat with John's friends."

"I don't think we are; they have school tomorrow." I shrugged, as I grabbed two bottles of shampoo from the shelf.

"So do I." Eric said, heaving a dramatic sigh.

"What days do you go to college?" I wondered, as I pushed the cart farther down the isle, towards the body wash.

"I go Tuesday and Thursday from 7am-3pm." He said. "It's not a lot, really."

"That's good." I nodded.

"No making babies while I'm at school either; I am not washing your guys' sheets." He said, pointing at me.

"We're not!" I said, as I felt my face get red.

Eric started laughing and rolled his eyes. "You're blushing! Are you serious, Kalen?!"

"Shut up, Eric!" I smiled, as I grabbed some body wash.

"Oh, whatever." He chuckled, as he folded his arms over his chest.

I rolled my eyes and continued down the isle with my cart. "Shut up."

"Kalen!" I heard someone call.

I turned around and looked down an isle, to see Garrett and Aubree walking towards us, hand-in-hand. I smiled. "Hey guys."

"What's going on?" Aubree grinned, as she looked at me.

"Just...shopping." I said.

"Really?" Garrett gasped. "So are we."

"No way." I smiled.

"Way, girl." He smiled, before looking at Eric and raising an eyebrow. "Did you...pick up a stray?"

"Garrett!" Aubree said, as she slapped his arm. "That was rude!"

"I was just asking! Calm down, Mom!" Garrett said, as he rubbed his arm.

"No." I smiled, as I pointed to Eric. "This is Eric."

"Is it...your boyfriend?" Garrett asked.

"Yes. She's dating him and John." Aubree said, as if Garrett was stupid.

"Well, I'm not here to judge." He shrugged.

"John and I moved in with him." I chuckled. "Him and I just got done working; he got me a job."

"That's awesome!" Aubree smiled, as she looked at Eric. "Hi. I'm Aubree."

"Eric." Eric smiled, before Garrett looked at him and waved. "Garrett."

"Hi." He said, a smile still on his face.

"So, is John ready for practice tonight?" Garrett wondered, as he looked at me.

"He's excited." I smiled.

"Good!" He chuckled. "He should be. It shall be a good time. Well, we better get going; we're supposed to get some supplies and then go start on our stupid project."

"Have fun." I said.

"Not!" He said. "Bye, Kalen. Nice meeting you, Eric!"

"Bye. Bye, Aubree." I said, as Aubree gave me a hug.

"Bye, Kalen! Bye, Eric." Aubree smiled, before taking Garrett's hand and pulling him down the isle, towards the check-out.

Eric and I walked down the isle, to get a few more of my things, and when we were finished, we went to the check-out line. We waited behind a few people, until we started to load my things onto the conveyor bet. The cashier scanned my items and rang up the total, before I gave him the money. After Eric helped me with my bags, we were walking back to his car, in the parking lot.

"Thanks, Eric." I said, as we set my things in the backseat.

"No problem." Eric smiled, as he got into his car, and I did the same. "I think we will be good friends."

"You think so?" I smirked.

"I think so." He chuckled. "I mean, we better if we live together, work together, and...go shopping together."

"So, you'll go to the mall with me?" I asked.

"Don't push it, girlfriend." He said, holding up a finger. "That's what John's for. Boyfriends do the mall."

"Right." I laughed. "Well, you can come with us and we can find you a girlfriend."

"I don't think I need a girlfriend." He chuckled. "I have enough on my plate as it is."

"You do not." I smiled. "A girlfriend for you would be so cute."

"You don't even know me!" He laughed.

"I know enough about you to know you're a lonely man." I said, as I shook my finger at him. "I know this."

"Whatever, Kalen." He smiled, as he rolled his eyes.

Once Eric and I finally arrived back at the apartment complex, he parked the car, and we got out. We grabbed my bags from the backseat and walked into the apartment, after Eric locked his car up. We went up the stairs and to our apartment, before I knocked on the door. A few seconds later, I heard John unlock it, before the door flew open, and he smiled.

"Hey guys." He said happily, as he let us in.

"Hi." Eric and I said, as we set the bags on the counter, in the kitchen.

"How was work?" John asked, before giving me a kiss.

"It was fun." I shrugged.

"Entertaining." Eric nodded, as he leaned against the wall.

"How so?" John chuckled.

"Ya know, I fell off a ladder." He sighed. "And Kalen chased after someone who forgot their receipt."

He looked at me and laughed, as I crossed my arms over my chest. "What if they wanted it?! I mean, they took it, didn't they?!"

"So you wouldn't follow them home, probably!" Eric laughed.

"Wow. That's interesting." John smirked, as he wrapped his arm around me. "What'd you guys get at the store?"

"Girl things that I would not like to see or talk about, besides shampoo and body wash." Eric stated, as he looked at John.

"You guys are such boys! Get over it!" I said, as I grabbed my bags.

"Well, I mean...we kind of are boys." John said casually, as he hopped on the counter. "Unless you think you're dating a girl."

I looked over at him and narrowed my eyes, before walking down the hallway and into the bathroom. I put my shampoo and body wash in the shower, next to Eric's, and put away everything else that I bought. When I was finished in the bathroom, I walked out, turned off the light, and headed into the family room. John and Eric were already sitting down on the couch, both of them holding a controller, and playing video games. I rolled my eyes and sat down next to John.

"Want to play?" John asked. "We can hook up another controller."

"I'm okay." I nodded, as I rested my head against the arm of the couch, and put my legs across John's lap. "I'll just watch."

"Are you sure? I mean, we could have an intense game, if you played." Eric smirked.

"I know you're making fun of me." I commented, as I looked over at him.

"I wouldn't do such a thing." He chuckled.

"So, I see you two are getting along?" John smiled.

"Yep. We're best friends." Eric nodded, with a smile.

"Good." John grinned.

I smiled and sighed to myself, before shutting my eyes. After listening to John and Eric scream, laugh, and trash talk each other while they were playing their game, I fell asleep.

A while later, my eyes fluttered open, and I was still in the family room. I looked next to me to see John resting his elbows on my legs, as him and Eric watched TV. I looked at the screen and rolled my eyes, before smiling.

"Jackass, again?" I sighed.

"Yeah." John chuckled. "Eric has, like, all the DVDs!"

"I bet he does." I mumbled, as I sat up. "When are we leaving for band practice?"

"Like, right now." He said, as he stood up. "Are you ready?"

"I'm just going to change my shirt." I said, as I looked down at my black polo. "I hate this shirt."

"Better get used to it." Eric sighed, as he stood up and stretched. "You'll be wearing it as long as you work there."

"I know." I frowned.

He smiled and shrugged, as he walked into the kitchen. "Have fun at band practice, John. Good luck!"

"Thanks." John grinned.

I walked into mine and John's bedroom, before going over to the closet. After I grabbed a t-shirt from its hanger, I pulled it over my head, and fixed my hair, making sure it looked okay. I shut the closet door and grabbed a jacket from the doorknob, before walking back over to John, who was waiting by the door and swinging his car keys around his index finger. We said bye to Eric, before walking out the door, and going down the hallway of the apartment building.

"Hey!" Kennedy said, once he answered the door, and let me and John in. "Are you ready, John?"

"Yes." John grinned, as he pulled off his jacket. "I'm so excited."

"Good! I have a feeling this will be a good practice." He smiled. "Come on downstairs."

Kennedy led me and John down a hallway, before opening a door on his right. The three of us walked down the basement stairs, and we rounded the corner, to see all of the guys set up and ready to go. Garrett had his bass and was leaning against his amp, while Jared and Pat were standing around, waiting to get started. I looked over towards two beanbag chairs, to see Britton and Aubree sitting in them.

"Hi, girl!" Britton grinned, as she pulled another beanbag over. "Sit down!"

"Hi." I smiled, as I sat down and looked at them.

"How are you?" Aubree asked. "Even though I saw you today."

"Good." I sighed. "You two?"

"Great, thanks." Britton nodded.

"Good!" Aubree said.

"So, Kennedy tells me that you and John found a place to live?" Britton smiled.

"Yeah. We live with our new friend, Eric." I nodded, a smile on my face.

"Well, that's awesome! I'm glad you guys found somewhere!" She said, as she pulled me into a hug.

"Thanks." I said, as I hugged her back.

"Ladies, please." Kennedy said, as he spoke into a microphone, to get us to stop talking.

"What?" Britton sighed.

"We would like to introduce you to our new member." He smiled, as he pointed at John. "Practice is going to be a little rusty today, since John is going to be trying to get the idea of the songs."

"Why are you telling us this?" She shrugged.

"Damn! Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed." Jared joked.

"She's irritable today; she's in one of her moods." Kennedy chuckled.

"Yeah, I am. Get over it." Britton smiled. "Get on with band practice."

"Okay, let's go." Pat said, as he plopped down on his stool. "Let's start off with The Way We Talk."

John nodded and read over a piece of paper, as the guys started to play their instruments. After a few seconds, John joined in with them, singing on key and in sync with them. Aubree and Britton smiled and I looked over at John with a smile on my face. John looked up at me, from where he was looking down at the paper, and smiled. I smiled and gave him a thumbs up, before I leaned my head against the wall, and listened to the band play.

After the first song, the girls and I started clapping, and John's face turned a light shade of pink. I was glad that he finally found a good band to play with, who were also good guys. Even though the songs went a little slow and were a little choppy, they were great. I was positive that the songs would flow more and more each practice, as John memorized the lyrics and got more comfortable singing around so many people that he wasn't great friends with.

Once the guys played a few more songs, practice was over, and it was time for everyone to leave. The girls and I stood up from where we were sitting in the beanbags and said goodbye to each other. John helped the guys clean up the equipment, before we all walked to the front door, and walked out, so we could head home.

"You guys did awesome, John." I smiled, once John and I got into his car.

"Really? You think so?" John asked, a grin plastered on his face.

"Of course!" I said happily. "You did great! I'm so proud of you."

"Thanks, Kay." He said happily.

"No problem." I smiled. "You finally got what you wanted, huh?"

John nodded and smiled. "Yeah. Finally."
♠ ♠ ♠
thank you to everyone who has commented and subscribed!

i love you all! <3

i plan to update Garrett sometime this week, so if you're currently reading that story, i'm sorry i haven't updated for it in a while. /:

and also! i am eventually going to need girlfriends for the guys in ARTTM, especially Eric. so if anyone is interested in being a girlfriend forNick,Justin,Eric orAndrew, just message me, please?

first come, first serve.(:

now, it's time to go watch the Phillies game! let's go Hamels and Utley. <3