Status: One Shot. Complete.

Another Time Around

01/01

Idelle was sitting at home when her phone jingled with the tell-tale tone of a text message. She fumbled with her purse before finally digging it out and looking at it. It was from him, it was from Shawn. ’How about a romantic night in at your place?’ he had said. Idelle didn’t hesitate to accept.

She loved Shawn so much. He was the sun, the moon, the stars. He was everything and anything she could ever want. Better than a dream, more real than a fairytale could ever hope to be. Shawn was perfect, flawless in her eyes.

Shawn was not as perfect as Idelle’s misguided preconceptions of him. Shawn was a player. He had a wife and many extra lovers on the side. To Shawn, Idelle was just another girl. She was just another fuck. He used the feelings Idelle had for him to his advantage, and took advantage of her blind trust.

Idelle had been waiting for him. She dressed simply, knowing what Shawn liked. When a knock sounded on the door, Idelle rushed to it and pulled it open. It’d been so long since she’d seen him, and seeing him now she wasn’t the least bit disappointed. He was handsome as ever; molten chocolate eyes, scruffy black hair, just a hint of stubble on his face.

“I brought Chinese.” He grinned that grin that made her knees weak.

She threw herself at him and kissed him with all her pent up passion. He set the food on the table near the door where Idelle kept her keys, without breaking the kiss, and held her tightly to him. With his foot he closed the door behind him and spun so that Idelle was sandwiched between him and the door. She radiated passion and fire, and it made Shawn want her all the more badly.

“That’s far better than Chinese,” he breathed into her ear. She shuddered at the sensation.

“Let’s skip dinner,” she whispered seductively. She knew what he wanted, and she’d be a liar if she said she didn’t want it, too. Shawn all but carried her to the bedroom, shutting the door firmly behind them.

Idelle woke in much the same way she always did after a visit from Shawn; naked, covered in sweat, and alone. A generic, yellow post it was stuck the headboard of her bed. It always said the same thing, ’Idelle, Something came up. Had to go. Call you soon. Shawn.’ It never meant anything and she knew it, but it didn’t stop her heart from shattering every single time.

“Damn you, Shawn! Damn you for making me love you!” She cried and sobbed into her pillow.

The story was always the same. Unrequited love always ends in heartbreak. And yet she knew she couldn’t resist him. He was like the drug she was addicted to. Being with him was the high. She crashed down from that high as soon as he was gone, landing like glass on a hardwood floor. It was inevitable, just as it was inevitable that she would always let him back over.

The next time he called, she would be waiting. Ready for another time around in their bad romance.