T-Shirts and Short Shorts

Chapter Fourteen

It literally felt like everything in my body just stopped. A few minutes later I was able to compose myself as best as I could, when I realized my hand was still tightly clenched around the phone. I dropped the phone wishing the feeling of panic would fall too; it didn’t. How on earth am I supposed to sleep now knowing that he could be watching, and going to my mom for a solution was out of the question since not just ten minutes ago I told her nothing like this would happen, plus she said she knew I can handle myself going to her right now wouldn’t prove that at all.

I tried dialling both Claire and Carters numbers and got there voicemails. It’s going to be okay, moms just down the hall, those texts meant nothing. You need sleep. I told myself, but my mind wouldn’t listen, it kept wondering over the texts, and each time I kept picturing Chris’s face in my window. My mind felt like mush when I reached over to hit the off button on the alarm clock.

I jumped as I took in my reflection I looked like a living zombie; my hair was a mess and sticking out in all directions. There were heavy bags under my eyes, and I was looking paler than normal. If I was thinking straight I would have crawled back into bed and slept the day away, but instead I got in the shower and carried out my normal daily school routine.

Waiting for my ride to school I paced back and forth in front of the front window, checking every couple minutes to make sure he wasn’t sitting there waiting; and making sure he wasn’t out there watching. I was quick to grab my school bag and lock the door behind me once I heard the horn. As I walked towards the car I probably looked like an insane person as every few seconds I would look around; I hope he doesn’t get the impression that I’m embarrassed to be seen with him. As I buckled myself in I noticed the concern on his face “Is everything okay? You seem a little freaked out or something.”

“Yeah I’m fine didn’t get much sleep this morning that’s all.” I looked at the clock on the dash “We should probably get going or were going to be late.” He looked at the dash than gave a quick glance my way before pulling out of the driveway and heading to the school.

The ride was silent with the exception of the radio, which he ended up turning it up slightly to help the awkward silence. Which didn’t really help the awkwardness but it helped me to relax a bit and take my mind off of things. Before I knew it we were pulling into a parking space and Skyler cut the ignition “Do you need a ride home after school?” I smiled “I’m actually doing something with Claire and Carter after school, but thank-you for the offer.” It was now awkward again as we both got out of the car silently and walked off our separate ways.

Skyler’s P.O.V

It took everything I had not to turn around and look back at her. She seemed so out of it this morning, like she didn’t get any sleep what so ever. I wanted for her to be able to tell me but it was hardly my place since we barley know each other.

As I reached the rest of the team, thoughts of this morning got pushed back. As I was greeted by Ashley with a hug and kiss before she spoke “What was Samantha doing getting out of your car?” she said it with so much venom, I couldn’t understand why.

“Her car broke down, it was just a ride.” I said not getting into any detail. This still seemed the please Ashley as she wrapped herself around me “Okay, I missed you so much this weekend. Want to hang out later on?” It made me sick how she still acted like this, like she thought I didn’t know what she did. Even though the whole school knew and probably even the town knew. I pushed her away slightly “Missed you too. And can’t I’ve got to drive Sam home.” I said before completely walking away.

Idiot I said to my self as I walked through the front doors. That was the perfect time to break it off with her and you blew it.

Back to Sam’s P.O.V

I reached my locker where I found Claire and Carter waiting for me. Claire had a huge smile on her face “So… Are you to going out yet?” I didn’t say anything as I opened my locker only to have Claire Close It “Well?!”

“Well what? Were just friends, and remember he does have a girlfriend.” I said re-opening the locker.

“Yeah I know he has one at the minute but rumour has it not for long. And you guys don’t look like your just friends.” Claire said while Carter coughed uncomfortable. Thankfully I was saved by the bell and Claire walked away leaving Carter alone as I finished grabbing my books and started to make our way to first block. The walk this morning was quiet , usually Carter always had something to say no matter how random it might have been; I guess he had a lot on his mind today. I made I mental note to ask him about it later as we took our seats and class began.

~ ~ ~

My morning classes seemed to just fly by. I even got through English without dozing off to much. And for the first time in a long time I beet Claire and Carter to our spot on the field. Surprise, surprise Carter even beat Claire which now gave me the perfect opportunity to see what was wrong.

“Is everything okay Carter?” He looked up from his food, shook his head no and went back to eating; that was weird “Do you want to talk about it?” I offered.

“Well you see my marks aren’t the greatest at the moment. And my parents are freaking out saying that I’m not going to graduate if I don’t pick up my grades, so until I get them up my parents have taken away my phone and if I don’t start this week there taking away my car.” He let it all out with a big sigh.

“Oh that sucks. Your grades can’t be that bad, you hand everything in. If you want I can try to help? And that would explain why I got your voicemail last night.”

“I need help with English and math. I’m sorry, what did you need?” Too embarrassed to tell him why I just handed him the phone so he could see for himself. I watched as his face went from very concerned to fierce within a second “Samantha this is serious, have you gone to the police?”

“No.”

“You have too.” I shook my head back and forth “I can’t, do you know what he’ll do?” I kept shaking my head trying to shake away the tears but it didn’t work. Carter scooted closer and I found myself crying into his chest. He stroked my back in an effort to calm me down, which it did slightly but not enough. “He’s got me so afraid to leave my own house, after I got those texts I wasn’t able to sleep, and now I hate to say it but I’m afraid to go out alone.”

“Have you told your mom?”

“No, I can’t tell her about this.” He gave me a stern look. “I’ll tell her if it persists.”

“That’s better, because if you don’t tell her, I will.”

“You guys look cuddly” Claire said finally joining us. “Sam, what’s wrong?” I didn’t feel like re-explaining lucky Carter picked up on this and Told Claire for me.

“Wtf Chris is fcuked in the head. He better pray that none of us see him.” Claire said balling her hands into fists which made me chuckle.

“Where were you?”

“Oh I was eating lunch with Nick and the rest of the team. They I mean Skyler was wondering were you two were. Speaking of Skyler… What is going on with you two? This weekend you were being hot and cold, and then really hot…” I didn’t even know what she was talking about, so I gave her a confused look. And she went on “Okay well you guys seemed to have a fun time at the little carnival. Then once we got to the auditorium you were all like get away from me, then when we all got back to the room you two looked Offaly cozy on the coach.”

The recap of what happened made me blush a bit. But before I could defend this weekend the bell rang and we all made our separate ways into the school.

The rest of the afternoon passed by slowly as all I could think about was Skyler and this weekend. Was I being hot and cold? I couldn’t help but feel happy when I thought about how he would break it off with Ashley, and I replayed in my head how he would ask me out. Until I got a text from carter meet me at my car after school.

Tonight I’ll help Carter with his work. And figure out how I’m going to deal with everything.