T-Shirts and Short Shorts

Chapter Seventeen

I didn’t want to wake up this morning, as the almost kiss between Skyler and I was set on replay in my dreams. Loving every minute of it I ignored my blaring alarm clock; just a couple more I told myself. Skyler leaned down, and was just inches from my face only to have the door I was leaning on to moved from behind me and Carters voice broke the moment “Get away from her Skyler!” I forced my eyes to open. Unsure of which was worse I just stopped thinking about the almost kiss all together and started to get ready for school.
Arriving at school I regretted telling Skyler not to pick me up. The whole situation from last night still seemed really awkward to me so I decided it would be wise to walk to school today, and give me a chance to clear my head. The cold early morning walk did help- It really woke me up. And it made me realize that Skyler and Carter are getting mixed up in my dreams. And I’m not sure what to make of it- though my legs would kill me for it tomorrow.
- - - - - -
It was decided at lunch that Carter, Claire, and I would go to the local café Bean Trees to get coffee; and in my case hot chocolate since I don’t like coffee. And get a bite to eat. And now that we were here I was going to be able to talk to them about Skyler. We all placed our orders at the counter and found a nice table beside the window, far enough that we couldn’t hear other conversations and they couldn’t ours.
“Can you believe Skyler actually broke up with Ashley?” Carter said
“I know right. I wonder what’s going on.” Claire said directing the comment towards me. I stayed quiet; from the corner of my eye I seen the lady that placed our order was carrying our stuff and was heading our way. Plus I wanted them to wonder for a tad bit longer. The lady placed the caramel mocha Coffees in front of Claire and Carter, and the hot chocolate in front of me. We all also got a slice of cheesecake. The cheesecake at this place was to die for. “Enjoy folks” she said before walking away.
Four pairs of eyes stared back at me waiting for an answer. I waited a minute longer before going on. “Okay well you guys already know that I’m like head over heals for Skyler….Well ever since we went on the youth trip it seems like we both can’t seem to get enough of each other.” I waited for one of them to say something but neither did so I kept going “He’s also agreed to help me fix up my car. I went to his house the other day so we could work on it; I even got to meet his family with the exception of his father. They all seem like a lively bunch though that’s way too many names for one person to remember on the first day. We went to work on my car right away. Well I thought we were going to work on the car, his definition is tricking me into being there while he makes a list of parts and tries to kiss me.” I left it at that and took this as an opportunity to take a sip of my hot chocolate and a bite from my cheesecake.
It took awhile before Claire said something “Wait. What do you mean try? And why put all this bullshit about his family in there we wanna hear the juicy gossip not what his family is like. He’s not our almost boyfriend thing.” That’s one thing about Claire that I love she’ll tell you the truth straight up.
“Well we were talking and then I starting to joke around that I didn’t need to be there, and then he just kept coming closer and closer every time he spoke to me. And then just as he was about to his mother opens the garage door, in which I was leaning against may I add.” I wasn’t expected it but I could hear the anger in my voice when I said the last part.
Carter laughed almost splattering us in hot coffee “Ha-ha did you fall flat on your ass and embarrass yourself in front of his mother?”
Scowling I answered Carter “No. He caught me and then kissed me very passionately in front of his mother.” Now Carter didn’t know what to say and he let his shocked eyes do all the talking, unlike Claire “Really?!” she exclaimed.
I needed to be honest with them “No, I wish it happened like that though. She just told him he needed to take me home and to basically never bring me back again. I got the hint that she doesn’t like me very much at all.”
“She sounds like a bitch to me Sam. I wouldn’t take it personally; rich people are allowed to be stuck up for no reason, apparently.” We all got a good laugh. And I was glad that I talked to them about it, now I know it wasn’t entirely my fault. While we finished munching on the cheesecake I told them about my mother’s business trip, and explained that I’d be looking after Ian so I wouldn’t have as much freedom to hang out whenever I wanted. They were over pleased throwing out words like “House party” and “bowchickawowow”
I had to reassure them that there would be no house parties and no bowchickawowow going to happen at my house. And they dropped the subject going on to whatever random thing came to mind.
“Sam don’t look now, but Ashley just walked in.” Claire said bringing her coffee to her mouth. Oh great this can only mean thing. Acting as if nothing had happened we continued our conversation and eating our dessert. From the corner of my eye I noticed that they choose to sit directly beside us; this isn’t going to end well for me.
I tried my best to ignore their conversation and focus on my own; but even they were getting distracted too. “I can’t believe Skyler humiliated you like that in front of everyone.” One of her little posse said. A little sniffle escaped from Ashley.
“I don’t see why either. It’s not like this other girl is any better then you. I mean she doesn’t have the looks or the money.” The other one said.
“That’s where I draw the line there clone. For one it was bond to happen eventually, secondly I may not have money and plastic looks. But at least I’m real and obviously Skyler likes that.” I said turning and to face the three of them.
“Oh Shut up. You must be part of some bet to see if he can get in your pants.” Ashley barked
“Take that back you whore! Maybe if you didn’t sleep around with all the team players. He was probably too afraid of getting an STD.” I shrieked back. By now everyone was watching our little banter; some of them even had their phones out hoping for a cat fight.
Ashley got up took two steps in my direction, raised her hand and slapped me across the face- instantly my cheek began to burn “You can have him slut. And just between you and me, I hear he wins $500.” And just as if nothing happened they grabbed their bags and walked out.
Embarrassed I raced out of the café. “Sam, come back” I heard Carter say but I was already out the door and making my way towards his car. A few seconds later both Claire and Carter were at the car. They both looked at me not know what to do or say “Can we just go please?” I asked Carter nodded and unlocked the doors and we all got it and Carter started to make his way out of the parking lot.
“What was all that about Sam? I mean I’ve never see you so pissed off before.” Claire asked turning around in her seat.
“I really don’t know. I think it’s just all the stress that’s been building up with the whole Chris situation and now things with Skyler and my mom leaving town tomorrow afternoon.”
“Well remind me never to piss you off” Carter said laughing at the wheel. I half smiled and looked out the window. They took the hint that I wanted to be alone and dropped me off first. We said our goodbyes and I told them I’d see them tomorrow.
As soon as I got in I went straight to the freezer and grabbed a bag a frozen peas; Ashley had hit me really hard, and I didn’t want it to leave a bruise. It was bad enough that in a matter of hours the video clips would be hitting the web.
Just what I needed to be the laughing stock at school tomorrow but on the plus side I had like two weeks to hide out at home.