T-Shirts and Short Shorts

Chapter Eighteen

Last night I went to bed early trying to forget about what had happened earlier, and because I knew I wouldn’t be getting much sleep looking after Ian for the next two weeks. And again I had the same dream about Skyler with the voice switching from his mom and Carter. Only this time I wasn’t able to wake myself up, so when I eventually woke up this morning; I woke in a cold sweat.
Rolling over the time on my alarm caught my attention; I had beaten my set alarm by two hours. Knowing I wouldn’t be able to get back to sleep I stumbled into my bathroom and took a relaxing bath. Just as I was getting relaxed I could hear the familiar ring of my cell phone. Ignoring it I tried to relax again. But it never happened.
Getting out of the tub I brushed my hair and teeth, and got dressed for school. Walking to my nightstand I picked up my mom and sure enough I had two text messages both from Skyler the first one read ‘1/2 Hey Sam, I know your probably still asleep but I know the other day was awkward but I don’t want that for us. And I just saw the video from the café; I’m sorry for what she said and did to you…
2/2 and I think we should talk. So before you can say know I’ll be at your house for 8 sharp. See you then ’
The last part made me smile; I like how he shows he cares about me, about us and we’re not even dating - cross my fingers- yet.
I was getting my books ready when the door bell rang. From my room I could hear my mother “Oh good morning Skyler. How are you?”
“Morning Miss. Roberts, I’m good how are you?”
“I’m fine thank-you. I suppose you’re here for Samantha though. Sa” She started to say but I was already there.
“Hi Skyler bye mom.” I said putting my shoes on and pushing Skyler out the door. Just as we were getting to his car my mom comes running out of the house carrying the spare car seat “Sam don’t forget you need to pick Ian up from daycare after school… Skyler, do you mind if I put it in your car?” Skyler looked bewildered and just nodded as my mom went ahead and fastened the seat in “Okay all set, Sam come here and give me a hug.” Hugging her she whispered in my ear “Again no funny business when I’m gone. Behave and miss love you.”
“I know mom, and love you too. Don’t have too much fun on your trip.” I said getting in the car and closing the door fast so she couldn’t embarrass me any further. As I was doing up my seatbelt Skyler started to chuckle “What’s so funny?” I asked confused.
“Nothing.” He replied still laughing.
“What?!”
“Just what exactly have you been saying to your mother about me?” He said, he must have seen the confused look on my face, so he elaborated “No funny business” he said with a grin and instantly I could feel my cheeks flush.
“I didn’t say anything. She’s just jumping to conclusions.”
“Uh huh” was all he said before he put the car in drive and pulled away from the curb. It took me a couple minutes to compose myself before I could speak again “So in your text you said we needed to talk…”
“Yeah I was planning on having more time to talk” He said as he pulled into the school parking lot “I didn’t plan for your mom to take up like half the time installing a car seat in the back of my car… So I guess our conversation will have to wait until we work on the car tonight?”
“And what do you suppose I do about Ian?”
“My dad can watch him…”
“Oh really.”
“Yeah he won’t mind, what’s one more ha-ha”
“I guess so, but it can’t be too late.” His smile reached from ear to ear. We both got out of the car and to my surprise he didn’t walk away in the opposite direction, he walked me to my locker, and then to my first period class; which while he was retreating back down the hall he turned around and called out for me and when I showed up in the doorway he told me to have a wonderful day. I wonder what he put in his orange juice this morning.
By second period word had gotten around about Skyler’s peculiar behaviour and whispers started to circulate behind my back about what was happening between us too and if that’s the reason behind the cat fight.
And by lunch Carter, Claire, and I went over all the different scenarios. They ranged from Skyler and I getting hitched, Ashley finding out and was just being jealous, too there being a kinky threesome and we were all just trying to keep it on the down low. Either way they were just random rumours so I didn’t let them get to me.
“Carter, can you believe that our best friend Sam here didn’t even bother to invite us to the wedding she’s been dreaming of since forever.” Claire said jokingly but Carter didn’t answer and continued to eat his sandwich in silence. Both Claire and I looked at each other and I mouthed the words what’s wrong with him? But she only shrugged, so we let the subject go.
But I couldn’t help but wonder why he chose to be quiet when yesterday he too was joking along with us about the relationship. Did he know something I didn’t; was what Ashley said about the bet true?
With the bell ringing we went our separate ways and I told myself to ask Skyler about the bet later on tonight.