T-Shirts and Short Shorts

Cahpter two

Serving my detention with Mrs. Davis was actually a lot more fun than being in her English class. She made me write down the notes that I missed when I was day dreaming, but afterwards we had a nice conversation about school, books, life, where I saw myself next year. She understood when I told her I didn’t know what I wanted to do “I was the same way when I was year age. I told my parents that I never wanted to be a High school teacher, but look at me now.” She chuckled; this was the first time that I’ve ever seen her laugh let alone smile. But it raised a question “So what was it that made you want to become a teacher? If you don’t mind me asking?” She took her time answering “Well It started when I thought I was in love with my high school, and one thing lead to another and I ended up pregnant at 17 and it scared him away... Somewhere in there I decided to something unexpected out of the ordinary, so here I am now.” I was at a loss for words, I wasn’t expected to get such an honest answer like this “I’m sorry that things didn’t work out for you. But I’m glad you became a teacher my marks have never been this good.” “Thank you sweetie, but it’s all you. You’ve got a talent for writing; I could see a career in it for you.” “Thanks.” She was just trying to be nice I’m sure, my writing wasn’t that good. “You’re welcome, well you’re free to leave now, just make sure that you don’t sleep in my class anymore.” I nodded my head in response and left the room.

I felt like a creeper as I sat in my car and watched as the team finished up there practice, but I couldn’t help but notice how both Carter and Skyler seemed to get along; this was a good thing. I decided that It would be wise to leave now before anyone noticed and got to freaked out, but what guy doesn’t like to know that there’s a female taking an interest in them. I made it home the same time mom got there, and helped her bring Ian and the groceries inside.

Ian’s my half brother, and for the most part all he does is cry, eat, and sleep. And right now he was sleeping while we put the groceries away. “So do you have any plans for the weekend?” I grabbed the cereal and started putting it away “Umm...Actually I’m going to a party, and then sleeping over at Claire’s house, if that’s okay?” “No it’s fine, just remember no funny business.” I rolled my eyes “I know.” And I finished putting the groceries away.

By the time 7:30 rolled around I was still staring at my reflection in the full length mirror. My brown curled hair hangs just below my shoulder; the curls is something I inherited from my father, My brown eyes search the image in the mirror trying to find something wrong, trying to find reasons not to go, trying to find me. The girl looking back at me doesn’t feel like me she looks comfortable in a white “the Latency” band t-shirt and faded skinny jeans, but she looks lost.

As I continue to stare at the reflection Claire walks in carrying a closet full of clothes. From what I can see she’s brought everything from miniskirts to turtle necks. She’s going to make me choice something from that pile I know it. I look to my clock sitting on my night stand “I thought you and Carter weren’t coming until 8:30?”

“Well Carter is coming at 8:30. I on the other hand got my mom to drop me off, I had a feeling that you would still be dressed in your school clothes...And I was right, so I came over early so that we could help each other get ready.” She left it open like a question. Sighing I move towards the pile she’s thrown on my bed. From the corner of my eye I can see her smile. I pick up the miniskirt and put it in my not pile.

“Here go try this shirt on.” She says not even looking up from the pile “Oh and can you plug the straightener?”

“Can you say bossy?” But nonetheless I plug it in and head for the bathroom. The top is low cut, which is something I would never wear but the blue makes my eyes brighter. I open the door and Claire’s standing there and her mouth drops “My God Sam, that shirt looks better on you then it does on me want it?” “Sure” I say knowing I’ll probably never wear again. “But you need different jeans, what about your darker wash skinny’s? Yeah those would go perfect with that.” While Claire heads to the bathroom to try on her outfit I search my own closet for the jeans, and find a black vest. I slip on the jeans and vest and look in the mirror, this time I look less lost and have found a new confidence. I look towards the bathroom door and see Claire in her outfit; she’s got on a Skirt with knee length leggings and a low cut tank top. The purple top making her brown eyes stand out even more, her blonde curls are lose but manageable; I don’t see why she insist on straightening it every day, now it’s my turn to compliment “Claire, you look great here put this necklace on.” The necklace did help; it would also distract some of the guys from ogling over her very low cut tank. She comes to stand with me in front of the mirror “We look good!” and she pulls out a camera 15 pictures later and we have to start on our hair. We take turns straightening each other’s hair, and do our own make-up and take more pictures.

As I help Claire fold the unwanted clothes I can’t help but look out the window, the slowly darkening sky reminds me “Claire” she looks to me “I’m going to freeze in this top.” She stops folding and sits on the bed “That’s all part of the plan. You see since it’s at nick’s beach house people will be outside, So when you’re talking with Skyler and he see’s you shiver he’ll give you his sweater, air go a happy and non cold Sam.” She taps her head at her brilliance but I can’t help but laugh at how her logic works. No matter how much I wished her logic was right, I knew I needed to grab my own sweater; I’ll sneak it into my overnight bag.

Downstairs there’s a knock on the door “Carters here! Time go” Claire sings and pulls me away from the closet, and grabs our bags; I was so close, I guess her plan has to work now. I say bye to my mom before Claire pulls me out the front door. Outside Carter is standing on the front porch looking at his feet until he hears the door close. At first he doesn’t say anything he just stares up at me. “You’re drooling” Claire says, Carter wipes his mouth and narrows his eyes at Claire, she just smiles “So did you talk to nick after practice?” “Yeah he said he’s got extra rooms.” His eyes never leaving me I was feeling a little uncomfortable “Can we go now, before I change my mind.” Claire knowing that I would hauled me towards the car, making sure I couldn’t escape.

The whole car ride there Claire blabbered on about how awesome tonight was going to be and how hot she thought Nick was and that hopefully tonight he would ask her out. After awhile I tuned her out I can only handle hearing a certain amount on her latest crush. I also noticed that the whole way there Carter kept sneaking glances at me in the rear view mirror, why does he keep doing that?

As soon as we pulled onto the street music and laughter could be heard; it must be really loud inside the house then, how I’m a going to talk to Skyler if I can’t hear? We had to park the car a block away since the whole street was already filled; there’s gotta be more than just out school here. Stepping out of car I got a sick feeling, I should have stayed home something bad was going to happen and I don’t want to be here when it does.