T-Shirts and Short Shorts

chapter three

Stepping over the threshold was a big mistake. The music was way too loud, people were everywhere, Claire already ditched me for Nick, Carter left to be with his friends; I was alone and wanted to leave. Part of me wanted to phone my mom to come get me but I’m already here and I took the time to get ready, it would be a waste to just leave now right? So I started walking around hoping to bump into someone I knew; though I did know most of the people here I wasn’t friends with them just knew them because we shared the same classes. Part of me hoped that I would bump into Skyler.

But walking around the house was a big mistake for one I didn’t find Skyler anywhere, second all the drunken people stumbling around searching for nothing, third everyone where you looked there were couples dancing, making out, talking; it only made me wish that I had someone for myself more specifically Skyler. I noticed that everyone was holding a red cup, it looked like they were getting there drinks from the kitchen, so I started to make my way in that direction.

The kitchen was filled with hot bodies and empty bottles; suddenly I felt cluster-phobic.

“Hey cutie can I get you anything?" I turned around to see Chris Henderson leaning against the Island. Chris was on the football team with Carter and Skyler. He moved beside me, one drink couldn’t hurt right? “Yeah whatever’s fine?” I said without thinking. A devilish grin appeared on his lips as he handed me a cup filled with clear liquid. I took the cup from him and gave him a weak smile in return “thanks.” I took a gulp from the cup.

“No problem cutie...So are you new here?”

“Actually Chris, I’m in three of your classes.” He looked really confused, either he’s had one too many or he really didn’t know who I was “It’s me Sam, Samantha Roberts.” He looked really shocked “You can’t be Sam, Sam never comes to stuff like this and she definitely doesn’t dress like that.” He was looking me up and down; out of habit I folded my arms across my chest. “Well it’s me.” He chuckled “Yeah.” The way he said it though made it seem like he still didn’t believe me. He’s had one too many to drink because he would’ve remembered me from when I got detention with Mrs. Davis.

For the past forty-five minutes I’ve been listening to Chris talk about sports and how he’s hoping to play college football, all while trying to brush up against me. I poured myself another glass of water was closet to me, and drank the whole cup in one swig, enough is enough I couldn’t take listening to him talk anymore. The song changed to right round this was my chance “I’m going to dance” with that I set the empty cup down and made my way to the crowd of people dancing, looking back once to make sure Chris wasn’t following me; he wasn’t it.

By now whatever was in my cup was getting to me I danced my way through the people and even danced with some random guys. Another song came on and a pair of arms wrapped around my waist, I hoped it wasn't Chris. His cool breath on my neck made me shiver
" you know you shouldn't dance with random guys like that" He said into my ear.
" And why would that be Carter?"
" Because one of them might get the wrong idea and try to take advantage."
This is so like Carter always looking out for me. But ever since Claire dressed me up he's been looking at me funny and I don’t know why. It could just be the alcohol messing with my mind.

For the next five songs Carter and I danced together everything from the slow songs to grinding I was tired.
"Carter can we go sit down?"
"Yeah for sure" he held my hand and pulled me towards the couch. There was only room for one of us to sit and of course he sat. I gave him the look; he just smiled and patted his lap like that was his plan from the beginning. Sitting on his lap was a mistake he kept kissing my neck and shoulders. Okay what was up with him? Was it just because he’s had one too many or because he couldn’t find himself a cheerleader?
I turned my head to face him so I could tell him to stop, but lost my chance when he misunderstood and kissed me on the lips. We've kissed before at parties and it was never like this, this time I felt something and I liked it. I kissed him back, but something told me to stop and I pulled away. There was disappointment written all over his face but he quickly composed himself. But before I could ask what was wrong he had shifted out from underneath me and was walking away, once again leaving me alone.

After being ditched for the second time, after sharing that kiss and bringing up some feelings and the way he just walked away from me like that, I decided that I could use another drink. This time the kitchen was less crowded and Chris was nowhere to be found; who’s going to make my drink? I don’t know what to mix with what, and he sure could make a real good drink. “Want me to make you another drink cutie?” speak of the devil himself. I nodded; suddenly I was glad he found me again.

“Are you here with anyone?”

“Yeah Carter and Claire”

“Some friends they are.”

“Yeah I know right.” I looked out into the crowd. I wonder what there up to. He handed me a cup this time it was a green liquid; that’s strange. “Do you want to take a walk with me down by the water?” I nodded.

There’s something about the sound of the waves crashes into each other that I found calming. It was so calming that I hadn’t noticed I finished off the drink and Chris had taken my hand in his. Chris sat down pulling me down with him; my head did a loop at the sudden movement. I took my flats off and stretched my legs out the top of the ripple touched my feet it was cold and refreshing. I shimmied my pant legs up as far as they would go but it wasn’t very far since they were skinny’s; and moved closer to the water sticking more of my leg in.

For the first time I looked at my surroundings and noticed how far away from the house we had actually gone. The little voice in the back of my head was screaming at me to “run!” But I didn’t want to listen; I was too tired to listen, my body felt like it was shutting down. Was this what happened when you got drunk? Was it normal?

“We should head back; I’m starting to feel tired.”

Again he just chuckled. This was starting to get annoying “Don’t worry cutie; we’ll go back just not yet.” The warning bells were on high alert now. Suddenly he was right in my face, I tried moving but my body wasn’t cooperating with me. Fear washed over me why can’t I move? Then the obvious sunk in he put something in my drink. He must have seen the fear on my face “Don’t worry Sami, it’ll all be over before you know it.” Was that supposed to make me feel better because it didn’t?

A million things started running through my mind like how I don’t want to be a victim of something that has been taught to us ever since middle school by both our parents and teachers. I should have been more smart “Always remember don’t let strangers make your drink” But technically speaking Chris wasn’t a stranger. He pushed me back into the sand.

“NO! Please stop!” I shouted

“Shut up” his voice was harsh and no longer showed any trace of the “hey cutie” He stopped the shouting by placing his lips on mine.

I tried pushing him off me but with his weight and my jell-o arms it was use. Any hope I had of anyone hearing me was gone; so this is how it’s going to go down. I’m going to lose my virginity so someone I don’t love, to someone who doesn’t deserve to take it. I always thought it would be with someone I loved, who loved me back so it would have meaning. I didn’t know what else to do, I couldn’t do anything else but cry. He moved his way down to my neck, I seen my opening and took advantage “HELP! SOMEONE PLE!” a hand clamped down over my mouth before I could finish. I really hoped that someone somewhere heard me and came to help me and quick; I’m afraid of what he will do next.

My thoughts begin to come down to nothing, anything feelings I was feeling were now being numbed by the drugs. The sound of fabric tearing didn’t register as bad; I’m going to miss that top. A light moving in the distance caught my eye and a faint “hey” then slowing the weight and the light began to disappear.