T-Shirts and Short Shorts

Chapter Five

It’s cold and dark out. And I’m being chased by someone or something. Though running is something that the uncoordinated shouldn’t do, I mean I can hardly walk without tripping over my own two feet let alone try running in the dark. I’m amazed at myself for making it this far though. But soon my luck runs out as I trip over a tree root and can’t seem to get up. In the distance I can hear whatever it is getting closer with each passing second as I lay inert on the cold ground. The sound of the earth crunching is getting really close whatever it is only a few steps away from me, but I still can’t see what it is and it’s the anticipation of what awaits is what gets my pulse spiking and the urge to run again though I don’t have the strength do it. It all happens so fast and I’m pinned down by something but it’s too dark and I can’t see what it is, hands secure my flailing arms and they force there full body weight on me. After giving up on fighting back I decide to just lay there maybe they will stop. And I was right they did stop and after awhile there’s a light and I can see Chris grinning down on me.

I wake up to a blinding light entering the room from the thin curtains covering the balcony doors and an increase in breathing. And for some reason this dream has me really frightened though nothing really happened. How did my dream go from walking alone the beach with Skyler and him giving me his sweater like Claire said he would to being chased down by Chris? But that’s the funny thing about dreams they can take you anywhere and anything can happen and sometimes it can feel just so real; like the other night I had a dream I was falling from a building when I woke the next morning sure enough I was on the floor, But the part with being with Skyler seemed just so real to me. Oh well I better get up before mom complains that I’ve slept the day away. I smile as I push the covers down and stretch out, when I notice the covers aren’t the hot pink and purple that I’m accustomed to but rather black and red. Where am I? Stuff keeps running through my mind but it’s going to fast and none of it makes sense. Some of the panic went away when I was able to piece together that I had gone to a party last night and must have passed out in one of the spare rooms, but as I looked down the panic came back as I was in his sweater and had no memory of what had gone on. Again a million questions ran through my mind why am I wearing his sweater? I didn’t even see him last night, what happened? How did I get here? Where is here? I tried to remember what happened but the only thing I could remember was Chris grinning at me, just like in my dream. I couldn’t even remember how I got to the party in the first place; I just remember being there at some point because I remember dancing and loud music. Could this be Nick’s house, it seemed way to quiet to have just thrown a party people would have begun to stir by now.

Now curiosity got the best of me so I got out of the bed; plus I had to pee. As I got out of the bed I took note of the room it was neat a few clothes lying here and there but other than that clean. On the shelves there were tons of trophies both for soccer and football. As I headed towards the door a picture caught my eye on the dresser. I almost dropped it immediately after I picked it up as it was a picture of Skyler and Ashley. I just spent the night in Skylers room but where was he? I placed the picture back down and left the room.

Okay now time to find the bathroom. After opening 5 doors and them all being children’s rooms; they were also empty and clean. I finally found the right door. As I was washing my hands I looked at my reflection in the mirror; my hair was a frizzy mess and had make-up tear stains running down my face. I looked like a wreck and concluded that I can’t approach anyone looking like this so I washed my face and found some shampoo and washed my hair in the sink before finding my way downstairs in search of someone.

Downstairs the annoying voice of Sponge-bob and Patrick could be heard; maybe the children were awake and I can get some answers, so I walked towards the noise. In the family room there were no little kids watching TV but rather a sleeping Skyler lying half off the couch. It didn’t feel right to just wake him up so I looked around the family room; hanging on the wall was a collage of pictures of children in varies stages of childhood surrounding a family picture in the middle. I noticed that the boys took after their father and the girls after their mother; Skyler looking more like his father as he entered into adolescence. Something about this made me sad to know that this was something I never got to experience with my family since I never knew my father. Though mom and I are very close it’s just different. This was just making me sad so I sat in the arm chair and watched George of the jungle. I don’t know why I didn’t change the channel it was such a stupid show and I giggled at how retarded to juvenile the show actually was but quickly covered my mouth as it was loud considering the room was quiet. But my efforts to muffle the sound failed as it woke him up anyway. At first he looked shocked then confused but rubbed is eyes and recovered himself and smiled “Morning, did you sleep well?” I giggle “Yeah I slept good, I was able to actually have my whole body on the bed.” He looked at his form on the couch and chuckled to. “Well I’m starved how about you?” “Yeah” “Okay well follow me to the kitchen” He said as he stretched, and I followed him to the kitchen and sat down on one of the stools by the Island.

“Do you like pancakes?” he said looking through the cupboards.

“Yeah especially with chocolate chips.”

“Well you’re in luck since I happen to love them as well and we have chocolate chips.”

I watched as he made up the mix and started making them, I offered my assistance but he made me sit back down which left me to ponder with my thoughts and the questions from earlier started to come back. “Skyler, can I ask you something?” though I wasn’t sure what I was going to ask “shoot” He said over his shoulder.

“Well I don’t really know where to being but I guess I’ll start here what happened last night? I mean I had this really weird dream last night and it felt just so real. And I can’t remember what happened last night or how I got there let along how I ended up here. All I know is that at some point last night I was at that party and then I wake up here with no memory. And now all I want is some answers so I can put it all together.” I felt like an idiot for asking since it was silent for a long time as he finished cooking up the pancakes and sat down with the food beside me in silence.

“What happened in your dream?” After explaining to him my dream conveniently leaving the part with him I looked up at him his face looked troubled; he probably thought I was crazy and needed help.

“Samantha I know this is going to be hard for you to hear and understand but last night...” He seemed to pause to find the words to explain and I hoped that it really wasn’t that horrible and that he was just at a loss for words or wasn’t good at this kind of thing. “Chirsdruggegyourdrink” the words came rushing out of his mouth like a train and I couldn’t comprehend. “Can you repeat that please?” He didn’t answer at first, but then he sucked in a big breathe “Last night Chris drugged your drink.” And he studied my face.