T-Shirts and Short Shorts

Chapter Six

I sat at the island just paralyzed I didn’t expect to hear that. Skyler was right this was something I didn’t want to hear and I didn’t know how to react. Part of me was angry but at who, Chris? Myself? The only person close enough for me to get mad at was Skyler “He what? You’re lying” I screamed at him. He looked taken aback by my sudden outburst. Again he didn’t know what to say and was silent for a couple minutes but it only made me angrier “Samantha I’m sorry that this happened to you. But I’m not lying to you and I know you have all these questions but I don’t have all the answers that you’re looking for. All I know is that I stopped it, and got him good for doing this to you.” He seemed sincere but the rage was telling me not to believe him. And that’s exactly what I told him and stormed out of the house.

(Skylers P.O.V)

What the hell just happened? Not even an hour ago she was smiling and laughing alone with me. All I did was tell her what she wanted which I gave her the truth, and this is the reaction and thanks I get, this is not what I expected last night when I was thinking about how things would go this morning, though in all honesty she’s probably confused and obviously in denial. But I guess I would do and feel the same if the situation was reversed.

Did she really have to yell at me like that though? I’m not good at the whole female emotion thing and yelling like that doesn’t help at all. Picking up the breakfast dishes didn’t help to totally clear my head so I headed out to the deck, all thoughts about me being an a$$ came back as I seen her sitting with her knees brought up to her chest and face shielded by her hair. She was even sitting right where Chris had taken her; all I wanted to was go down there and tell her that I was sorry. But couldn’t bring myself to, she was just so mad at me before she left so instead I stayed on the deck and tried to forget.

(Back To Sami)

Why did I just leave like that? I don’t know this neighbourhood that well and have nowhere to go but to the beach. Walking close to the shore wasn’t as calming as it usually was; the waves seemed to match my mood today as they were smashing into each other. There weren’t a lot of people out today but I still wanted to distance myself from them, I needed to be away from everyone right now. The information I got not so long ago was a lot to take in and process. I sat at a good distance away; not to close as to interact with them but far enough that I could think in silence. Sitting down the sand was still cold from the evening, and the sun was still behind the clouds I brought my knees up to my chest and the tears started to roll down my cheeks and I hid my face so anyone walking by would notice. In hopes of trying to calm down and make sense of what I was told, I stared out into the water but kept picturing Chris getting lost in the waves, him squirming in the jaws of a shark. That was so too much for me and I had to shake my head to clear everything, that’s when I noticed something sparkle in what little light there was coming from the sun. As I got closer I could make out that it was a pink phone, I picked it up and brushed off the sand who ever lost it had good taste since I had the same phone. Speaking of cell phone where was mine? I know I had it with me last night, I never go anywhere without it.

Going through my pockets I couldn’t find so I slide open the phone there were 10 missed calls and the little light was flashing saying there were text messages I hit ignore and was greeted with the familiar wall paper of Claire and I; it was such a relief to know that it was no longer missing and thank-full that it was just out of the waves reach. Standing up I observed the spot; this must have been where Chris took me last night, the sand was more spread out over here like there was a struggle, there were even little strands of fabric I lifted up the sweater to about my stomach and sure enough the cute tank was torn all over. Now I understood why I was in Skyler’s sweater. A little to right of where I found my phone there were more signs of struggling and even some blood. This is what Skyler must have meant when he said he took care of him. After seeing where it happened and the thought of what happened just made me sick, and I had to get away.

I must have looked like a maniac to anyone who was on the beach; just come out of nowhere and plop down and cry then go up a cell phone have a mini panic attack and then start running away. And gain I didn’t know where I was going I just knew I needed to get away. Out of breath I stopped running and looked around to see if I recognized anything; I didn’t but had stopped right across the street from a playground. It seems like it’s been forever since I’ve been to a playground let alone play on one; though this one wasn’t big enough so I had to opt with the swings which I don’t mind since I’ve always loved swings since I was little there was something calming and freeing about being up in the air like that, it was almost like flying. But today it felt like I would be sick if I swung so I just sat and started reading the texts.

Claire 11:00 pm- Where the hell are you girlie? Carter said he hasn’t seen you in over an hour and he seems to think you’re mad at him? Explain please?

Carter 11:10 pm- Sam bear where are you? Please text one of us back.

Carter 11:11 pm- Sami I’m sorry for acting like such an asshole earlier. Please let us know that you’re okay.

Claire 12:25 Am- Okay well now I know why you haven’t been answering. Some of the guys said they say you leave with some guy. Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do :p

Claire 2:30 Am- Samantha Ann Roberts. You better phone one of us right now. Were both starting to lose it, someone heard screaming and Chris came back with a bloody nose. Please let us know your okay.

If only they knew that I was far from having fun and that it was me who was screaming. But I guess I should phone them back now and let them know that I’m alive. On the second ring Claire picked up “Where have you been missy? Do you know how worried Carter and I have been all night?” I’ve had Claire mad at me before, but never like this. I don’t blame her though if she did buggered off and wouldn’t text anyone back all night I would be just as angry.

“I’m sorry. I lost my phone last night.”

“SORRY! That’s all you have to say?”

I started to cry “Sam...I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have yelled like that.

“Don’t be sorry. You have every right to be angry with me.”

“No I don’t I haven’t given you a chance to say anything. Here I’ll be at your house in 10 okay?”
“I’m not at home. I’m at a park that’s within running distance from Skyler’s house.”

“Why are you by...Never mind, I’ll be there in 30” and she hung up before I could tell her to bring my overnight bag with her. I really wanted to get out of last night’s clothing I felt dirty and really bummed out. But in the mean time what’s there to at a park for 30 minutes when you’re too big to play on it and swinging is going to make you sick?