T-Shirts and Short Shorts

Chapter Eight

I met up with Carter at the mall. I needed to do some clothes shopping and this way we could talk and there would be a distraction if I needed it. For awhile we both didn’t talk which I was glad for, I didn’t know what he wanted to talk about. Though I’ve gone shopping with Carter thousands of times, today seemed really different for some reason for one we didn’t goof off as much and crack jokes. It was so awkward between us that next weekend I’d have to come back with just Claire so I could get the rest of what I wanted. Because we were getting nowhere and he was the one who wanted to talk I suggested that we go to Denny’s and have a late lunch.

It was still quiet after the waiter brought our drinks “Are you guys ready to order?” He had an amazing smile that any girl would die for myself included. “We need a couple more minutes please.” I said trying not to stare to long. And he left surly to return in a few minutes. “What are you getting?” I asked Carter as he took a minute to look over the menu “I think I’m going to get the double cheeseburger meal. What about you?” I smiled up at him since he was finally talking to me “Do you even have to ask?” We both chuckled as I’ve always gotten the same thing every time we came here; there was just something about the chicken strips that was tasty. And sure enough within a couple minutes the waiter was back to take our order, which we gave; I earning a “are you serious” look, but I didn’t care.

But now it was time to get to business “Carter what’s really been bugging you? I mean we came here today so that we could talk but you haven’t done very much talking at all.” He avoided my eyes and didn’t answer I started to regret saying anything. Maybe the quiet was better. “Samantha. Do you really have to ask me if I’m okay?” I stayed quiet and he continued “I just found out that last night my best friend was almost rapped and I could have stopped it. If I hadn’t gotten drunk last night then I wouldn’t have acted like an ass towards you. And I could’ve kept my anger in check. I could have kept you safe.” He looked away from me now. I didn’t know what to say to him so I kept quiet while something came to me.

“Carter to be honest I don’t even remember you being an ass towards me. Like I said yesterday I don’t remember very much of what happened. And I know that you didn’t mean anything by what you did, I probably didn’t help the situation either. What happened wasn’t your fault. It was mine so please stop beating up yourself over it because it was something that only I could have stopped.” I took his hand to try and reassure him, he gave a small squeeze back just as our food arrived and the waiter gave me a sad look as he took in Carters hand in mine.

The rest of the time we tried really hard to make small talk throughout our lunch, but it seemed really hard after the conversation before and often ended with us eating in silence. By the end I was more than happy to pay for the meal and leave. Carter and I said goodbye but I could tell that something was still bothering him and I wanted so bad to tell him that everything is okay and that he could tell me anything. But neither of us said anything else as we both got in our cars and drove home.

The whole night I debated whether I should phone Carter so we could seriously talk. But in the end I decided to leave it alone, he will tell me when he’s ready to. At least that’s what I kept telling myself before I went to bed.

~ ~ ~ ~

As soon as I pulled into the school parking lot this morning all eyes were on me and whispers filled the air. Trying to ignore all the stares I hurried to my locker grabbed my Hamlet novel and science textbook. I practically ran to the science lab; which just probably created even more of a scene. But I found Claire and Carter and took my regular seat between them, which immediately stopped the conversation they were having. I took note that Carter seemed to be in a better mood today which was good, but he still didn’t seem like he wanted to continue our conversation so I didn’t try to push it on anymore from yesterday.

“Hey guys! Do I have anything on my face or something?” They both looked me up and down and said “No” together “Why?” Claire asked.
“Well ever since I stepped out of my car this morning everyone has been staring at me all funny, and whispering. So I thought maybe I had something on me.”

Claire let out a small laugh. Which I recognized as her nervous laugh, but what would she have to be nervous about? “Sami there’s nothing on you. Just everyone somehow heard about what happened at the party Friday night. And now they’re putting two and two together as to who it was and why Chris has a broken nose and Skyler’s fist is swollen.” My eyes jumped out of their sockets. Was this really happening? I didn’t want the whole school to know. Now pretty soon all the schools are going to know and then word is going to get to my mom. How would I explain that one to her? She’d never let me go to another high school party again. Carter put a reassuring arm around my shoulders “Don’t worry about it Sami. If anything Chris should be the one worry. The whole school wants to get him.” This made me feel a little better, but I didn’t want anyone to get hurt. Before I could think anymore on what was happening the bell rang and Mr. Gomez walked in.

Mr. Gomez was one of my favourite teachers here. He always made sure that the whole class knew what was going on before he moved on any further. And if you did need help with anything he was always there at lunch or after school to help. Plus his class wasn’t boring and put you to sleep, he was one of those teachers that knew when dealing with teenagers you need to have a good sense of humour and put up with some inappropriate or crude jokes. Today his class seemed to go by even faster and soon I was once again faced with all the stares and whispers as I walked to the hallway to my English class with Mrs. Davis.

By the time lunch had rolled around I had explained the story or in my case lack of story 50 times, to kids I never speak to. It’s kind of funny how when something bad happens suddenly everyone is concerned with what happened, and feels sorry for you. I was thankful when I was able to break away from the crowd that had surrounded me and was able to find Claire and Carter in our spot beneath the tree.

I walked up as they were fighting about where we were going to hang out the water park or the amusement park. Every year at the youth centre we always go on a trip to the WildWinter Mall. It was a way to repay us for all our hard work. We help out with the younger kids like helping to get sports teams made and helping with tutoring and stuff like that. But in the mall there’s a water park on one side and an amusement park on the other and a bunch of the biggest stores everywhere in between.

But it’s not all fun and games. We have to sit through a presentation with other youth groups from around the area and we make goals and come up with ideas on what could and needs to be done to make it worthwhile for these young kids. We also discuss what we’ve been doing within our own communities and try to improve some of our ways.

“Amusement park” I said taking Claire’s side as I sat down and pulled out my peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The look of disappointment was evident on his face. Carter has never been good with heights, where as Claire and I love heights. For the past three years we’ve been going to the water park for Carter’s benefit so this year we decided on the amusement park.

By last period the news of what happened this weekend was old news and the stares and whispers had nearly stopped. Until I was my name was blasted through the intercom to come to the principal’s office. Great this was something I didn’t want to happen. Maybe it was just something about the school or graduation. I grabbed my books and headed to the principal’s office.

I stepped into Mrs. Troy’s office to be greeted by the schools counsellor, and my mom and Ian. “Samantha, why don’t you have a seat beside your mother?” Mrs. Troy said gesturing to the chair as she sat down herself. I sat down feeling really confused Mr. Lockhart must have seen the confusion on my face “Samantha we called you down here to talk to with regards to an event that happened this past weekend.” My face fell and I could have sworn I sank in to the seat, and stayed quiet. “Why are we hearing about something like this from whispers going on in the hallway and not from you yourself?” Mrs. Troy looked angry with me and I was afraid to answer as well as not knowing the answer. They all stayed quiet and stared at me waiting for an answer. But could I really tell my guidance consoler that it wasn’t any of his business what happened at student parties, half the stuff that went on was barley legal and parents didn’t need to know about it. And I didn’t want him to think that I needed help so I said the logical thing that came to mind “I was embarrassed and a little ashamed that I let something like this almost happen to me.” I looked away from them all because it was part of it; it is embarrassing to almost be rapped and the whole school and now teachers know about it. Things just wouldn’t be the same anymore.
The room was silent for a long time; I don’t think anyone knew what to say “Samantha, why didn’t you tell me? Out of all people I should have been the first person to know about something like this. I wouldn’t have judged, I’m not judging now, Oh my poor baby.” She patted my leg and turned towards Mrs. Troy “I’d like to know what is going to happen to this Chris character.” I knew the answer to that question Chris would get yelled at by mommy and daddy and they might take away his car, but as for the school they wouldn’t do much since his parents so kindly pay for a lot of the events that go on.

“Well Samantha can press charges if she would like. But that can get messy.” Mr. Lockhart chimed in “I would suggest that you report the incident that way if anything else should happen there will be a big consequence. As for what the school is going to do, I think it’s only far that he be kicked off the football team.” Something about his last comment made me feel sick “Mr. Lockhart if you don’t mind me saying. I don’t think it’s best to kick him off the team were already down a player and if we were to lose another we wouldn’t be able to play anymore. And for some of these guys it’s there last year and there’s college scouts coming to these games, I don’t think it’s far to the rest of the team to lose out on something like that.” They all looked at me like I was crazy.

“I’ll think about your statement and come up with a suitable punishment. The bell is going to go soon you’re free to leave.” I left the office with my mom right on my heels “We need to talk when you get home.” She said before walking out of the school. I stopped at my locker to grab the rest of my books, as I was putting the last book in my bag I heard some noise coming from around the corner so I stuffed the book away and clicked the lock into place and walked towards the corner. I stopped dead in my tracks once I noticed that it was Chris attacking another girl, he didn’t notice me at first but once he did I had all his attention as soon as he let go and started walking towards me the girl took off down the hall. It felt like someone had glued my shoes to the floor, and began to panic as he got closer.