Surviving Sophmore Year

Cassandra

Finally, it's the first official Friday of the sophomore year. Meaning that tonight is the first official slumber party of sophomore year with my four best friends, and it is being held at my house. Oh joy.

Walking to my locker, I feel a sharp pain jolt from my breast. Mashing my teeth together, I pretended to ignore it while subconsciously listing all the medicines I'll have to take when I get home just from that jolt; all the while I'm managing to keep an ear open to what my friends are talking about.

"..And then, oh my God you guys are never going to believe this," Chelsea gushed to us as everyone rushed past us to get to the buses. She looked around expectantly waiting for us to beg her what happened. "Well?" She demanded.

I laughed at her patience while Aly answered, "We don't know Chels! What on this beautiful green Earth will we never believe that happened to you in Drama?" Aly asked chuckling.

"Well, because," she started to explain as we got to our lockers where Shaun, my twin brother, was leaning against my locker waiting for me. Ever since I'd been told that I had cancer, Shaun had taken on a very protective role over me. "Why has he been following you around since school started Cassie?" Chels whispered to me as I opened my locker door.

I shrugged, "No idea." Then turned to my brother. "I'll be ready in like five minutes Shaun, you can go and hang with your friends you know." I rolled my eyes at him as my friends giggled.

He sighed, "You sue Cass?" He looked at me worried. As much as I appreciate that he's worried about me, I'm not a child and can take care of myself.

"Yes, I'm sure. Now go Shaun!" I pushed him away and he left sighing.

"What was that about Cassie?" Lin asked.

I shrugged as I put in the combination to unlock my locker, "I have no idea. He's just been really weird about stuff lately, that's all."

"Well... that's just awkward." she said opening her locker.

I nodded as I put everything in my locker, "Listen, I got to get going. I still have to get everything ready for the party tonight." I said to Lin before hugging them all and leaving. Catching up to Shaun, who was hiding behind a pillar to watch me in case anything happened, I walked with him to our Mom's car. "Ya know you don't have to do that Shaun." I said to him as he carried my things. "It is what it is."

He looked at me upset, "Don't say that, you're going to get better Cassandra. I know you will." I smiled at him as we walked into the light.

Just knowing that for once my big brother, by three hours, didn't resent me was amazing. Even if it took getting breast cancer to have him say something like that too me, I wouldn't change it.

Image

"Mom! Mom, I need some help getting this in," I said trying to take the needle which contained my medicine. She came running quickly to me.

"Here you go Cass," she said pushing it in for me and suddenly the warmth of the medicine was spreading through my veins.

"Thanks Mom," I said hugging her.

"No problem," She said kissing my forehead. "Honey, it's six-thirty. Your friends are going to be here soon. Remember, you're watching Rissa tonight as well because Daddy and I are gong out, and Shaun has a date." She looked unnerved by this.

"Mom, chill. I've watched her countless times before and my friends will be here. Don't worry." I smiled at her. But I could see her reasons as to why she was nervous; whenever I was home (which was often now because I no longer took dance) Mom, Dad, Shaun or Paul was home with me to be there if I needed anything. Don't get me wrong, Rissa knew what to do if something happened to me but she was only eleven. So yeah, I could see my Mom's dilemma about leaving me home alone.

She sighed at that, before ruffling my hair and leaving the bathroom so I could clean up the medicines, do my makeup, brush my hair and brush my teeth. Sticking my tongue out at her as she left, I quickly got everything in order for my friends so that they wouldn't suspect anything.

Looking at my reflection in the mirror, I saw that my mascara had smeared across my face, my eye liner had pretty much disappeared and my eye shadow was on the back of my hands. Oh, goody. Taking the washcloth, I started cleaning my face up.

Image

It's seven fifteen and all my friends, except for Aly, are here. We're all gathered up in my room gossiping about everyone and everything in school.

"Did you guys here about Lanie Johansen?" Chelsea asked excitedly.

"No, what happened?" Lin asked while Melody and I munched on Doritos and listened to them.

"Apparently, she and this guy she met at a party and hooked up! Now, apparently she's got Herpes or whatever." Chels dished to us.

"What a hoe," Lin muttered as I saw MJ fidget out of the corner of my eye. Thinking nothing of it, I turned back to the other two as my mom called up to me.

"Girls, Cassie! Dad and I are leaving, alright?"

"Yeah, whatever Mom." I called back then look down at Vogue to where some girl was trying to give off a sex appeal to the women who read the magazine.

"Cassie, Shaun's already left on his date and Rissa is in her room. Behave and no huse parties! Got it?"

"Yes, Mom. We've got it. Bye!" I called annoyed. After hearing the door slam, we all ran out of my room to go grab snacks, some R rated movies that we depserately wanted to watch, and grabbed anything else that we thought would be good fun to do.

Image

Sitting in my room, we're currently watching Adventureland and it's been two hours since my parents left. Yet, still no Aly.

"I wonder where she could be," I mutter to myself. It's not like Aly to come to a party late, especially since partying is really her thing.

Seconds later there's a knock at the door. We all scream bloody murder, as Rissa runs to go and get it. "Hey Alejandra!" We can hear Rissa say. "They're all in Cassie's room, so just go there."

"Thanks Rissa," We hear Aly say. I jump up and run to the door, practically dancing across the floor to get to the door just in time to find my friend standing there.

"ALY!" I screech hugging her. "Where the hell were you?"

She chuckled, "I was... busy." Is all she says as she comes into my room with her things. Rolling my eyes, I feel a sharp jolt of pain and this time it spreads throughout both of my breasts and I feel tears pricking at my eyes, it's that bad.

"I'll be right back." I can barely says as I try to run to Rissa's room. "Rissa, Rissa." I say opening the door. "Rissa, go and get my medicine. Right now." I order her as I fall onto the floor crumpled in pain.

She freaks out this and starts to leave before seeing a trail of my hair. "OHMYGOD!" she's screaming. "Cassie, Cassie." she hugs me before running like there's a fire to the bathroom to get help screaming for my friends to help me.
♠ ♠ ♠
What Cassie wore to school.
Her pajamas for the slumber party.

Breast Cancer.
Cassie's twin brother, Shaun Tristan.
The Bradshaw House; http://0.tqn.com/d/architecture/1/0/1/k/iStock_000002471755Small.jpg.
Cassie's older brother, Paul Stephen.
And her younger sister, Marissa 'Rissa' Eleanor.

What do you guys think?
Hope ya like! New group story and this is going to be an amazing one.
comments would be appreciated. :)
Forever & Always,
Rachael