Status: Slowly but surely.

Olive and an Arrow

i'll send a message across the sea

It’s early morning; the sun hasn’t even risen yet. The world outside of my window is bustling which leads me to assume that those people are insomniacs like myself.

My room was pitch black aside from the glow from my laptop where it resides on my lap, the place it has been for the passed five hours. I needed sleep, my eyes drooped from the heaviness of it being, three but I couldn’t sleep until I felt my job was done. My fingertips glided over the keys in which held so much possibility, so many opportunities.

My door opened slowly and Alex’s head appeared from behind it.

“What are you doing, crazy?” He squinted from the bright light of the computer screen and I glanced up at him.

“Couldn’t sleep, what about you?”

Alex just stared at me for a few beats. “What about me?”

“Why are you still up, Alex?” It was almost like I had to spell it out for him.

He moved to the side of my bed and sat on the floor cross legged with his hands buried inside of his hoodie. “I heard you in here pounding away on your computer and I couldn’t take it any more so I came in here to shut you up.”

I laughed and sighed. “Right, because you can hear me typing on my keyboard from across the house.”

“Paper thin walls, Aria. That or super sonic hearing, you take your pick.”

I rolled my eyes and flipped on the light sitting on my night stand. I shut my computer and pushed it beneath my bed. Alex brought his knees to his chest and glanced up at me.

“No really, why are you still up?” I asked curiously.

“I’m nervous.”

I stared at Alex trying to read his expression. He looked serious so I just nodded for him to explain. “About?”

“Everything is falling apart with the band. Our concert is tomorrow night and no one is focusing in practices. I can’t be the one to always come down on the guys, I’m not the one who is supposed to be taking care of this band because it is an equal partnership.”

I nodded and crossed my legs under the thin purple bed sheet. “You’re right, you shouldn’t be the one to have to tell the rest of the boys to focus all the time. You guys need to learn how to separate your social lives with the band.”

Alex smiled at me and put his hand on my knee. “I’m so glad I have you, Aria. I wouldn’t have been able to get through this if it weren’t for you.”

I rolled my eyes and pushed him gently. “Right, you’re still getting your hair cut tomorrow.”

Alex’s face fell and then he started laughing. “Shoot, I thought sucking up would work.”

I placed my hands on his chest and shoved him off of my bed. He landed on the floor with his feet in the air and his laughter only increased.

“Okay, maybe I deserved that.”

I narrowed my eyes at him. “Maybe?”

“Okay, I did deserve that.” He stood up with a goofy grin on his face and walked towards the door. “I’ll see you in the morning, Ar.”

I nodded and watched my best friend disappear into the darkness of the hallway. I pulled the comforter up over my chin and buried my head into my pillow. My eyes fluttered closed and I instantly feel into a deep sleep.

_______________________

I watched as Alex paced back and forth across the tile floor. I tried to focus on the hairstyle magazine on my lap but he was to much of a distraction.

“Will you please just sit down?”

Alex glanced over at me with a terrified expression plastered on his tan face. “Sit down? Aria, a very important part of me is about to be cut off and dumped onto the dirty floor and you are asking me to sit down?”

I just stared at him in amusement. “Don’t be such a drama queen, Alexandra.”

He rolled his eyes and mocked a laugh. “Very funny.”

“Alex.” The lady at the front desk called out. She adjusted her apron and motioned for him to follow her to her station. Her hair was spiky and platinum blonde with one dark streak through her bangs.

Alex stood up and hesitantly followed her to a chair. He sat down and she placed a smock around his neck so it covered his body. She muttered something to him and he just gave her a fake smile.

I smirked and glanced down at the magazine relieved that I could finally read in peace.

My phone buzzed in my pocket and I sighed heavily. I pulled it out and flipped it open to reveal one new message.

R you at the salon? - Rian

I typed back my reply. Yeah, why?

No reason, wish Alex good luck for me.

Will do, he needs it.

I slid my phone back into my pocket and my eyes cast upwards at the figure standing before me. I smiled once I realized it was Alex and then glanced up at his hair.

The hairdresser had only taken off a couple inches but she added a ton of layers and spiked the top up into a foax hauk.

“Can we get out of here?” His voice was uninterested.

I smiled up at him and paid for his hair cut. We walked out of the salon and to my car. I slid into my seat easily and turned the ignition on while Alex closed the passenger side door.

“Do you like it?” He turned to me so I could get the full front view of his new do’.

“Yeah, it looks great Alex. Let’s go home.”

_______

We pulled into my driveway and an unfamiliar car was parked on the street next to the mailbox. I glanced over at Alex and he shrugged.

“Don’t look at me, I didn’t invite anyone over.”

We got out of the car and I pushed open the front door. I stepped over the threshold and was instantly overwhelmed by the sound of an acoustic guitar. My heart beat rapidly in my chest as I followed the melodic sound into the living room.

My eyes widened once I noticed the source of the beautiful music. John stared up at me while still strumming the strings of his guitar. I dropped my purse onto the floor and he smiled up at me with his beautiful eyes. “ The terminal leaves behind half-smiles and drying eyes. With ticket clutched in hand I long to find my way back home.”

His voice echoed through out the house and Alex came up behind me.

“What is he doing here?” He whispered in my ear. I shushed him and sat down on the sofa in front of John.

“But even from way up here, the view isn't all that clear. What good is this perspective if I can't tell you where to go? I can't tell where to go.”

I just stared at him strumming away on his guitar with his eyes closed. He was pouring his heart and soul out into the music for me. He was playing for me.

“You're looking up to me, lost and incomplete. Desperate to make things
the way you think they ought to be. But I've got a different way, I've seen all your mistakes.
I'm asking you to leave the pieces where they lay. I take your hand, we turn and walk away.”

My whole body felt limp as I listened to John sing. His voice was so amazing, but the words that were escaping those perfect lips were even more amazing.

“The turbulence shakes the room, the passengers and the crew. With armrest clutched in hand you long to regain some control. But as you relax your grip
you realize the truth of it. You’re just as powerless when you are on the ground below.
And I can tell you where to go.”
John played a few ending chords and glanced up into my eyes, “We turn and walk away.”

I just stared at him in shock as he took the guitar and placed it on the love seat next to him. He stood up and I followed suit. My arms found their way around his neck and my lips crashed against his.

His arms snaked around my middle and he deepened our kiss with a tiny smirk on his face. I pulled my lips away from his and looked up into his eyes.

“Who would of thought a guy like you could write a song like that.”

John caught onto my sarcasm and smiled. “Yeah well, it’s the inspiration that makes it amazing.”

With that, he kissed me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait, but here it is!!
Comment!