Icarus

le réveil

Gasping for air, Lucian struggled to open his eyes. Some invisible force was keeping his lids sealed. But before he could start to panic, his eyes suddenly shot open.
The ocean seemed to stretch out in front of him, two black dots in the distance. His vision clearing, he could see tendrils of green and sparkles of silver in his peripherals, as if reaching at him from no where.
The water shifted slightly, the black dots seeming to move with it. His eyes could now decipher the shape of a sharply curved chin and high cheekbones. The merman stared curiously at Lucian. He no longer looked as if he were about to pounce like a cat spotting it's prey.

He started to notice other details of the creature's appearance. Where the bridge of his nose would have been on his aqua toned face-- there was merely a small bump above his plump lips for a nose-- were dark freckle like dots in a peculiar pattern on either side.
And as the creature curiously circled around Lucian's head, he noted a large sun shaped pendant hanging from a chain around his neck. There was a faintly yellow diamond in the center of the intricately carved piece of metal.

He sat up, the two studying each other. Water stirred around him in an invisible force field. Lucian reached out a hand to his captor. The merman moved back cautiously at first, but then eyed the hand studying it. He took it in his own frog like embrace and brought it up to his cheek. A spark of electricity ran through him at the touch. Lucian watched in wonder as the creature gently rubbed his palm against it's face.
He let him do this for a while, lost in the feeling of the foreign texture on his skin, taking the chance to reach out and examine the creatures hair. It slipped through his fingers like silk. Lucian brushed back the seaweed like strands into his braid and watched as the merman released his hand and proceeded to study his feet and legs.
A shiver ran through him as the creature's hand slipped into his inner thigh and around to his lower back. Lucian craned his neck, to watch as he curiously poked and caressed him.

He spun in the water gracefully when he was satisfied with an up close examination of the man and shot upwards. The sun above glinted off the pendant around his neck sending a rainbow of sparkles along his grey / green tail. So this was what caused the ethereal glow in the caves.
This thought suddenly brought Lucian to realize that he was no longer in an air filled cavern of the sea caves, but completely immersed in water. He watched the current ripple around him, it was as though there was a protective air pocket surrounding his whole body.
But why? Why had he been let to live. In folklore the siren would sing to sailors to lure them in and then kill them. But this one had only sung him to sleep, keeping him alive to oddly enough, just look at him.
Even at the thought that he could still be in danger, Lucian felt the same sense of calm and safety he had as he was being sung to sleep by that soothing melody.

And before he knew it, the melody had started again, wordlessly charming him into a coma. His limbs grew weak and useless. But he let the current take him, as he slipped from consciousness once again.
♠ ♠ ♠
I was inspired for the beginning of this chapter by a scene in one of my favorite books. If you haven't heard of the Vampirates, I suggest you go read it. Right meow.