Status: Contest entry :)

Another Heart Calls

Warmness On The Soul

"Kaelyn?" I woke to a sobbing boy kneeling at my grave. "Kae, baby. I'm so sorry. I never meant for this to happen."

Then it dawned on me, Josh. "Josh?" I asked the weary looking boy. His head jerked up, looking around as if he had heard me. He can hear me? I thought as I said his name again, "Joshie?"

"Kae?! Is that you!?" He squeaked out, shooting up from where he knelt. I squinted my eyes trying to make sense of this and walked towards him. "Kae, answer me." I stood there watching him silently. He sulked back down on the soggy ground and sat crossing his legs. "Why'd you have to leave? I love you. I always have."

He took in a shaky breath, "And we have gone through good and bad times. But your unconditional love was always on my mind. You've been there from the start for me. And your loves always been true as can be. I give my heart to you. I give my heart, cause nothing can compare in this world to you." He sang with tears pulsing down his smooth cheeks. His favorite song. Our song.

I wanted to cry more than anything but the tears wouldn't rise to my eyes, just a memory...

"The boy only suffered minor injuries, thanks to his seat belt. The girl wasn't as lucky, her safety belt was not intact. Kaelyn Sweet was pronounced dead at the scene." A lady declared over her radio. Whoa, what?! No, lady, check again. I'm not dead! I screamed sitting up, realizing I was lighter than usual.

"Kae? Kae! Is that you!? You're alive!" Josh yelled leaning over me, as they picked up my former body up and carefully placed it on the empty gurney. "No, stop she's not dead! Listen! Kae, baby, say something."

I sat in silence as they slipped a black piece of material over my body. What the hell I thought to myself as I watched them load my no longer occupied body into the ambulance and two EMTs holding Josh back.

"Kaelyn!" He screamed with tears racing down his face. He swung his arms wide, trying to get loose. "Please, Kae come back, I need you." he whispered, sinking to his knees. I walked over to his shaking, slumped over body and knelt down in front of him. He raised his head and looked into my eyes as if he could see me.

"Son, are you okay?" One of the guys that held him back pressed the back of his hand to Josh's head. "You feel like you have a fever." Josh's breath caught and he reached out as if to touch my face.

"Kae?!" He yelled lunging forward trying to wrap me in his embrace but fell to the ground.

"Joshua!" Sandy, his mom, came running up to him with his dad close behind her. "Are you alright?! Where's Kaelyn?" She helped him up and hugged him tight, making his tears fall faster.

"Oh, Joshie. Please don't cry over me." I said walking towards him and his mother. His eyes went wide and he swung his vision around trying to find something. He settled his eyes back on his mom.

"She's gone." He cried harder, "She left me mom. Kaelyn left me for good and its all my fault!" He punched the side of the ambulance beside him.

"It's okay, Josh. She'll come back in time. She loves you." She reassured him pulling him away from the emergency vehicle. I watched his face redden with anger.

He shoved away from Sandy, "No, mom, she won't. You want to know fucking why!?" He yelled in her face and waited for a response. Realizing he wasnt't getting one he continued, "She's fucking dead. Son of a bitch, Kae is dead!" He took off running leaving his parents and EMT's behind.

"Ma'am, Do you have Kaelyn's parents number?" An older guy with a mustache asked Sandy.

Shock stricten, "Uh, yeah... yes I do." She scrolled through her phone and handed it slowly to the man. "She was such a wonderful girl." Tears clouded her voice, "How'd his happen?" She motioned to the horrible scene. HEr husband rubbing her back to comfort her.

"The boy, Josh, told us that he had a couple of drinks and he wasn't thinking about what he was doing. Said she buckled his seat belt, therefore saving his life, but forgot her own. The truck driver said he had nowhere to swerve, either way he would have hit them."

"But she was so young, Kaelyn had such a beautiful life ahead of her." she sobbed leaning on her husband.


I guess that's how death works. It doesn't matter if we're ready or not. It just happens I thought, responding to Sandy's last words.

"You know, this isn't healthy." A boy with shiny black hair came up behind him, pulling me from my thoughts, "For you or for him." Indicating Josh with a quick tilt of his head.

"Umm... how can you see me?" I asked the strange boy. He couldn't have been much older than me. His jawline was sharp and strong. His eyes were a soft golden brown, like honey was shinning and shimmering in his irises. He had to be around six feet tall. Man, was he tall. And he glowed, really glowed, like light pulsating under his skin kind of glow.

He let out a soft chuckle, "Well, Kaelyn. I'm much like you, just a bit different, but the same none the less." He smiled as he casually walked over towards me with his hands shoved in his pockets. "I'm Jordan by the way."

"What do you mean by different?" I asked curiosity filling my voice. "My name's Kae... you already know my name?"

"As a matter of fact I do and by different, I meant I'm here on different terms." He said smiling down at me. I was stunned, his smile was breath taking. My eyes locked on his, "Something wrong, dear?" He said with his smile growing.

"No..No, I..Umm...What are we supposed to do?" I asked trying to draw attention away from myself. He sat down facing the still sobbing boy and patted the ground next to him, silently asking me to sit by him.

"You'll know in time." He said wrapping his warm arm around my shoulders, "And by that time... well, you'll see."
♠ ♠ ♠
I like this story a lot!!! :D
Comments? I'd really love some feedback.. so I know how im doing :]

P.S. started a new contest!!! Survival Isn't Just For The Living go check it out ;)