Status: Complete X

Here's to the Past

1/1

I walk towards the abandoned old children’s park at the edge of the towns square. I look around at the quiet and dead less area in front of the usually busy towns square. It's football today no wonder. The final between Spain and Holland. I hope I finish this off and make it home on time to see who wins . I walk fast matching my pace to the beat of the song that I’m listening to through my earphones. My phone buzzes and disrupts the song to which I’m singing along to in my head. I pull my phone out and look at the wide screen, twisting my mouth into a grimace as I recognize who the sender is.

It’s time to confront my past.

Cole Anderson

God, It has been a long time since Cole Anderson has stepped foot in this town ever since that fateful night. Tears fill my eyes as I remember the consequences. He always caused a riot wherever he went. All the middle-aged women would say not cross into “The devil’s footpath .” But he would charm them and get away with it, with them sparkling dark-blue eyes and that smirk. Especially with that sinfully sexy smirk of his. The smirk that was so arrogant that it would get you wound up. You know what I mean don’t you?

Cole Anderson was quite simply, the light of my life for the short period of time he was here. The time in which we both knew each other so intimately and so thoroughly was absolutely the best. We both wanted to get out of this small, isolated town. We wanted the same things. We wanted to be free and left unrestrained. I remember being fifteen and being in awe of my new found friendship with Cole. He was telling me about city life and how populated it was. He was a city boy. He was also in the company of foster parents. His parents had apparently physically abused him as child and since the age of 5 he’d been in government care, bouncing around from one foster family to another. Well, that’s what was going around.

Cole would never ever be the type to live in a small, quaint tight knitted town. Oh no. He’d rather been hanging out with other boys moping around in parks and cat-calling at girls. Anyway he must be 20 now. Oh if your wondering I’m 18. Yep, I can now drink and get married! Though I’m not planning on getting married.

You could say that Cole was your stereotypical bad boy. Complete with an attitude and leather jacket . No motorbike though, though we all knew that Cole had tried his hand on other peoples motorbikes.

There’s only one person who knows that I’m meeting him tonight. Victoria. She didn’t approve of it though. She didn’t approve of me going out with Cole when I was sixteen “ He’s too old for you, Annalynne” she said exasperatedly. “ You know he gets in to loads of trouble. “ Do you want to get messed up with him? “

No. I didn’t. But he was too intoxicating. One look and I was a goner. Y’know something. I fell for him hard. And he said the same to me. But god I never knew if I should believe him if I should think that this …god actually loved me . I mean, guys say all sorts of things to get into your pants. But when he said I actually believed it . But whatever, if he didn’t mean it, he’s missing out on an awesome thing. Me.

So, he’s still got my number. I’m kind of surprised by that. I though he’d deleted it ages ago.

I’m kind of nervous about meeting him. Has he changed? I bet he has. I know I have. Why does he want to meet up with me? The last time we saw each…that was enough.

I walk slowly as I look up and see that I’m nearer the park gate. I stop in front of the gate and rest my hand on top of the black, rough, iron gate. I look around the abandoned park, my eyes searching for one thing. Cole. I see a figure rising up from the park bench The back of the bench is all I can see. The position of the park bench obstructs my view. The figure turns around and I see him.

Cole Anderson.

He doesn’t see me. His face is downcast and defeated and hard. He lifts his head his eyes unfocused and stops in his walk. He looks at me. I looks back, my gaze unwavering and calm. It’s been a long time. God, it’s been a long time. His black jeans are moulded to his slim, tall body. His leather black jacket looks worn and soft. I remember my hands touch his jacket and expecting it to feel hard and stiff, but instead it feel like soft butter. His jacket looks as if it’s been plastered to his body. His hands have been placed deep down in his jeans, his shoulder hunched and forward.

“Anna” he says hoarsely. I look at him.

God, two years. Two fricking years without him, he broke my heart. I’ll call you, Anna. When I get there. I’ll call you and we’ll be together.”. I believed him. I honestly believed him. I thought he was going to come back.

“What do you want, Cole” I ask quietly.

Again, why did I agree to meet him. I must be stupid.

“Look, Anna. I wanted to talk to you. You never called me back.”

“I never called you back? You never called me Cole, I waited for you for months and I never got one measly phone call from you! Not one. “ I say angrily , my voice thick with the tears threatening to come out.

“ I called you Annalynne. I told the person on the other end to give you my number and you to get back to me” he said.

“Oh yeah, don’t fuck around with me. I know what your fucking like. Fine , if you actually called me, let me call home to check. But Cole if you honestly truly cared you would’ve called back.” I say furiously.

He opened his mouth and shuts it quickly.

I turn around and quickly pull out my phone. I scroll through my contacts until I reach my brothers Zack’s name. He’ll know if Cole called me. I quickly call him.

M eyes close as I’m being told that Cole did in fact call me. My eyes shoot open as I’m being told that Dad intercepted the call. It was for my benefit, Zack says.

“But why do you wanna know, Annie?” Zack asks quickly, eager to get back to the game.

“I’ve been doing some thinking and I wanted to know if Cole might’ve called me. The though just occurred to me now. I lie smoothly.

“Okay, then that’s all you wanted to know” Thank god there’s a football match n today. Zack’s to easily distracted when it comes to live football matches.

“Yep, bro, that’s all I wanted to know.”

I cut off the call and stay still. God, he was telling the truth, how am I going to go tell him, that it was me who was in the wrong.
I turn around and walk slowly towards Cole dreading his response. He knows how badly I like to be right.

“ You were right, Cole. My dad didn’t tell me you called, what most likely happened is that Mrs Roth must’ve came in and taken that message you gave and told dad. Dad didn’t tell me.

Cole lifts a side of his lips and smiles.

“You never liked to be wrong did you, Annalynne.” he questions

“Whatever, Cole. Just tell me what you want and then get the hell out of my sight” I say viciously.

“My, my.” he says quietly

“What I want is you, Annalynne.”

I look up sharply.

“Well, you can’t have me, Cole. You still left and you never called me back, didn’t it occur to you that I might have not gotten the message. You knew my Dad wasn’t fond of you. “ I snap.

Cole moves forward, his hand reaching out to touch my shoulder, I take a step back. I can’t bear to have his hands on me. His touch made me tingle and feel so warm and safe.

“Anna, please can’t we start over?” his voice is laced with a desperate tinge of feeling.

“Why” I say sharply.

“Did you really love me, Cole” I question.

“I did. I do still. But you know the folks around here , they didn’t like me at all did they. I bet what they’ve been saying about me has messed up your judgement about me, hasn’t it?”

I avert my face, embarrassed.

“Cole you can’t be trusted.” I say quietly.

“If I get back with you, who’s to say you won’t leave. I can’t risk that again. I can’t take that kind of heartbreak again”

“Please Annalynne , you’ve got to trust me.” he grasps my hand and squeezed it gently.

One chance. Should I give him a chance? I look up into the eyes, that I once trusted. The eyes that used to light up whenever he saw me.

But I also remember the cold fury two years ago, when he was all but chased out of town. The defeated look. That disgusted look when his gaze roved across everyone, when he was accused.

His fingers move to wipe the tears that have slipped down my cheek.

“Cole, please, I can’t take you breaking my heart again.”

“You have to trust me, Annie. The past can be abolished. It destroyed us once but…we can fight it”

“I have to think about it Cole”

Cole takes a deep breath in and lifts his head to the sky.

“Okay, but please give us another chance, Annie. I do still love you”

He bends down and kisses me on the forehead, his lips remaining there, for a minute, before he took a breath removed them.

I turn around and walked out to the small park, shoving my hands in my pockets.

I walk quickly towards my house and step in.

My phone buzzes and I see that i have a picture text message . I open the messages and I saw a picture of me and Cole smiling up at the screen and laughing , I saw that there was a message.

Here’s to the Past?
Cole X

I smiled and hit reply.

Maybe =)

I hear a roar and cheers erupt

"SPAIN WON!!!."

I hear my brother yelling and celebrating with his friends

It's a good night for celebrating.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, I've done my best here.
Remember to comment even it's "=)"
I liked doing this one-shot, it was for a contest, the link is on the summary page check it out
That's it.
Sania X
© 2010 Sania Sahgal